[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS fails ... again.

Grits and Shins

You can't expect games to be played during finals, so there does have to be a lull there. Education still has to at least have the appearance of taking precidence.

I never thought about this side of it.

Seems like they could find a way around this without affecting finals so we could get 16 teams involved in it though.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uhhh-games are played on the week-ends most the time, so make them play Sat, take the exams during the week mon-thu. So, I guess the football players never miss a mid-term or other exam duiring the season that they can make up...yeah, that never happens :D oh, how to D2 and D3 do it..last time I checked it was a 16 team PO and last time I checked, they had final exams as well. :D

Like I said..D2 and D3 can have a PO and take exams,but D1 can't......right :bash:

uhhh-games are played on the week-ends most the time, so make them play Sat, take the exams during the week mon-thu. So, I guess the football players never miss a mid-term or other exam duiring the season that they can make up...yeah, that never happens :D oh, how to D2 and D3 do it..last time I checked it was a 16 team PO and last time I checked, they had final exams as well. :D

No need to be flip :bash:

Yes, some schools do have finals on Saturday and during practice times. The students should be focused on finals at that point and not on football. The schools recognize this. I don't see why fans of the game can't

No need to be flip :D

Yes, some schools do have finals on Saturday and during practice times. The students should be focused on finals at that point and not on football. The schools recognize this. I don't see why fans of the game can't

Sorry Nick, I'm not arguing with you..but D2..D3..PO...Finals..kids graduate, but then again the $$$ get's in the way for D1. Sorry the Final Exam issue is weak at the very best when you have D2 and D3 that have been making it work for years now.

Edited by PantherDave

Sorry Nick, I'm not arguing with you..but D2..D3..PO...Finals..kids graduate, but then again the $$$ get's in the way for D1. Sorry the Final Exam issue is weak at the very best when you have D2 and D3 that have been making it work for years now.

NP...I see where you are coming from, but I completely disagree.

Look, D2 and D3 are a whole different ball of wax. There is nowhere near the pressure or attention on that level of college athletics. Div 1AA is all consuming for a lot of people and for a bunch of players whose dream is to go pro. In the lesser divs, the players spend the appropriate level of time dealing with sports issues and with educational issues.

I had athletic championships in Div 3, and frankly they were no more than a speedbump in my everyday life. Can you honestly say that such would be true for division 1 football programs going for a NC?

There has been some good 9-12 teams in the past.

And if we are gonna do it right..lets not let a good team miss out.

:D I just think that you are adding teams to the mix that are unnecessary. Teams around the 16 mark do not belong. Is 12 worthwhile? Should 4 teams get a bye? I think that gets messy.

JMO, but make the top 8 or go home.

FLA domination in football and basketball - what's next, baseball or hockey? They win slightly over SoCal in the fake boobed models/babes contest too, and in the over-tanned dudes wearing too much gold category. (Although I'm thinking more about Miami for these vs. Gainsville - is it similar up there?) Good year to be a Gator.

What shows the BCS is just bad is that if USC had beaten UCLA, the Gators would've been stuck playing Michigan or ND. Yikes....

Time for a 4 or 8 team playoff for sure. Get rid of that Big10 dude and let the games begin...

NP...I see where you are coming from, but I completely disagree.

Look, D2 and D3 are a whole different ball of wax. There is nowhere near the pressure or attention on that level of college athletics. Div 1AA is all consuming for a lot of people and for a bunch of players whose dream is to go pro. In the lesser divs, the players spend the appropriate level of time dealing with sports issues and with educational issues.

I had athletic championships in Div 3, and frankly they were no more than a speedbump in my everyday life. Can you honestly say that such would be true for division 1 football programs going for a NC?

..and I also completely disagree, the above said "pressure or attention" is the seperate D1 conf commisoners putting on blinders about a true NC santioned by the NCAA for $$$$ for there conference. The system is crap and needs to be setteled on the feild.

What shows the BCS is just bad is that if USC had beaten UCLA, the Gators would've been stuck playing Michigan or ND. Yikes....

This is a very good point. Had USC beating a team they were supposed to beat and should have beaten, this years "national champion", Florida, would have been on the outside looking in.

Also, this how corrupt it really is....remember when VT, Miami and BC bolted for the ACC. Well, there was talk of revoking the Big East charter in the BCS or not renewing it....why??, because the Big East was then thought to have no "marketable" teams ala $$$ producing teams. The BCS and D1 football is all about the $$$ and not determining a true NCAA santioned champion-period.

Edited by PantherDave

The BCS and D1 football is all about the $$$ and not determining a true NCAA santioned champion-period.

I absolutely agree. There are a very select number of teams that go to the BCS bowl games each year ... year in and year out the teams that go the BCS bowl games are the same with a few exceptions each year as teams move up and down in the rankings.

These teams are holding the purse strings and reap HUGH financial benefits as a result. They will NEVER allow a true national championship because it means they would lose control over the money. And obviously losing control over the money means less of it will find its way to their schools.

All that bullmanure about scheduling and finals is just that ... bullmanure.

I absolutely agree. There are a very select number of teams that go to the BCS bowl games each year ... year in and year out the teams that go the BCS bowl games are the same with a few exceptions each year as teams move up and down in the rankings.

These teams are holding the purse strings and reap HUGH financial benefits as a result. They will NEVER allow a true national championship because it means they would lose control over the money. And obviously losing control over the money means less of it will find its way to their schools.

:D

I just don't see this.

If the NCAA used the same system to determine who made the playoffs (Because let's face it...they would need a system to rank the teams), and still held the remainder of the bowl games outside of the playoff, then what do they lose? And how do they lose control over the money? Money can still be divided up the same way, they would get more games (which means more money), and they would get greater fan interest because the people turned off by the current system for determining a NC could be won back.

I see it as a win-win if done properly.

Bingo my brother-just another loophole do get past by the illegal practice of "monopoly"?

:D

I just don't see this.

If the NCAA used the same system to determine who made the playoffs (Because let's face it...they would need a system to rank the teams), and still held the remainder of the bowl games outside of the playoff, then what do they lose? And how do they lose control over the money? Money can still be divided up the same way, they would get more games (which means more money), and they would get greater fan interest because the people turned off by the current system for determining a NC could be won back.

I see it as a win-win if done properly.

In a playoff system their selected teams are not guaranteed to make it to the payoff games. In the BCS system once selected to a BCS bowl game you are in the money. So the BCS money is currently staying "in the family". In a playoff other teams would likely win some games and advance to the payout games taking money that was previously staying "in the family".

Gotta wonder if a playoff system will work. BCS clearly doesn't but is it right to have a playoff system that will potentially add three games at least to the college schedule? The mainstay of the NCAA's refusal to pay the players even though they bring in many millions to their universities every year is that they get a "free education". A playoff system that would run through finals would potentially damage that "free education".

Pay the players and consider college a semi-pro league.

In a playoff system their selected teams are not guaranteed to make it to the payoff games. In the BCS system once selected to a BCS bowl game you are in the money. So the BCS money is currently staying "in the family". In a playoff other teams would likely win some games and advance to the payout games taking money that was previously staying "in the family".

This is no problem. Just allocate the money that would go to 7 bowl games, and split up the shares among the winners in the same fashion that money is distributed now for making a bowl game...which IIRC benefits the conference as a whole as wella s the school. That's just accounting. There's no reason for that to stand in the way. All fo the playoff games would be HUGH money makers.

Gotta wonder if a playoff system will work. BCS clearly doesn't but is it right to have a playoff system that will potentially add three games at least to the college schedule? The mainstay of the NCAA's refusal to pay the players even though they bring in many millions to their universities every year is that they get a "free education". A playoff system that would run through finals would potentially damage that "free education".

Pay the players and consider college a semi-pro league.

For the education at most of these universities and the room and board, plus whatever else they get for playing football, these kids are making in the 40K+ range.

Just schedule the games after finals, and there's no worry.

For the education at most of these universities and the room and board, plus whatever else they get for playing football, these kids are making in the 40K+ range.

Tuition and board adds up to way less than that, even these days. Most of these are public colleges aren't they?

Tuition and board adds up to way less than that, even these days. Most of these are public colleges aren't they?

You should price out an education at BC. :D not way less...

Yes, there are some 'public' universities, but out of state attendees pay a big premium to go to these schools.

I am sure you could find out more info if you looked. I don't have a tuition, room and board faq handy :D

My sister graduated from BC 8 years ago, and tuition then was over 26K, then there was room and board which I don't have figures on, and of course fees, books, and other expenses. It can be very expensive.

:D I just think that you are adding teams to the mix that are unnecessary. Teams around the 16 mark do not belong. Is 12 worthwhile? Should 4 teams get a bye? I think that gets messy.

JMO, but make the top 8 or go home.

And a fine opinion it is.

I just think college..just like the NFL has some teams that start off poor but as the season progresses.. each week they get better and better. but because of a few early losses are not given the chance to get into that top 8 but could make a run all the way through.

And make the players PASS the finals to be able to play in the games. :D