[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gonzo gone?

budlitebrad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy would he look good in a Panther uni! That would help out the passing game tremendously. Maybe even Cinci, but I can't see him going to any of the others.

Saints wouldn't pony up the dough for him with the needs they have on defense. Panthers might though and that would most definately suck.

I'm guessing probably he didn't get the info for the KC star but they pretty much both say the same thing to me. :D

Well had he posted the whole article some of the questions that were posed would have never been asked. :D

Let me be the first to say congrats to Chiefs for making the playoffs. I'm stunned. That being said this team is in serious need of rebuilding. Other than LJ, the Chiefs O needs upgrades at every position. Their front seven on D is average at best and the backfield is aging. Gonzo only needs to look around the locker room to understand that this team is far from Super Bowl bound in the tough AFC. Gonzo has had a Hall of Fame career yet that ring is missing. Money is not an issue for Gonzo. He has been paid well by the Chiefs and his handsome mug will keep him employed by CBS, NBC, FOX, or NFL network for years. Sadly for Chiefs fans Gonzo's quest for the ring should lead him out of K.C.

Edited by Ground Chuck

I don't want to sound blasphemus, but with the number of young TE's that are having success in the league, I'm not so sure that the Chiefs will want to pay Gonzo a giant pile of cash long term, since let's be real, most tight ends don't make it much past 30-32. Or they slow down a lot if they do keep playing.

With a crop of young talent on the TE market currently, I wouldn't think there would be a hugh market for a TE in Gonzo's price range. But Gonzo may have it in his head that the window is closed in K.C. now, and he wants to get a shot at a ring somewhere else. And after what I witnessed Saturday, I'm not sure I would blame him if he did leave.

Edited by rattsass

And how far out of the playoffs were they this year? GB is an improving team, with a good draft, including help at TE and RB, they are 10-6 next year, with a very tough schedule vs the AFC West.

Sorry dude, I think Green Bay has a very good shot at being a better team, but I don't think it shows up in the W-L column.

(I would be very happy to be wrong on that count)

Sorry dude, I think Green Bay has a very good shot at being a better team, but I don't think it shows up in the W-L column.

I agree with this.

The NFC should be much improved next year(can it get any worse?). and many teams will improve but have a worse record. G.B. seems like 1 of those teams to me.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Unduly pessimistic, methinks. If they draft well and go into FA sensibly and Favre returns, no reason why the Pack shouldn't go 9-7. There should be four Ws in the division from the Vikes and Dead Cats.

Unduly pessimistic, methinks. If they draft well and go into FA sensibly and Favre returns, no reason why the Pack shouldn't go 9-7. There should be four Ws in the division from the Vikes and Dead Cats.

Even 4-2 in the division, that leaves the AFC West (2-2 at best), NFC East (2-2 is doable), @Rams, Panther at Lambeau....

.... :D lots of x-factors at this point, but you may be right.

I'm pretty sure I heard in passing that several teams (Viking & Packers among them) are going to have a LOT of cap room to play with- 30+ million I think :D

HERE WE GO:

CAP PROJECTIONS

Nov. 9, 2006) -- When the NFL's free-agent signing period kicks off in March, it will do so in a way the league, its players and its fans never have witnessed.

A remarkable eight teams are a startling $30-plus million under the salary cap and another eight are $20-plus million under it, according to financial projection sheets witnessed Thursday.

More teams will free up even more money once they start trimming players from their payroll in February. But even if no players get cut, more teams than ever have money to burn.

Leading the way are the Arizona Cardinals, who are projected to be an incredible $38 million under the salary cap, though the team has only 46 players signed for next season.

Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney figures to make some cash in 2007.

Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney figures to make some cash in 2007.

Right behind the Cardinals are the San Francisco 49ers at $37 million under the salary cap, the Tennessee Titans at $35 million, the Minnesota Vikings at $35 million, the Buffalo Bills at $33 million, the St. Louis Rams at $31 million and the Green Bay Packers at $30 million, according to documents.

With the salary cap scheduled to increase to $109 million, and with teams managing their financials in more prudent ways, more organizations will have more room than ever before. Now the good players who hit the market this winter will cash in.

The list includes Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney and linebacker Cato June, Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, Bengals defensive end Justin Smith, Bills cornerback Nate Clements and Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez.

The Colts will be able to use their "franchise" tag on one player, so it's highly unlikely Freeney will be allowed to go anywhere, freeing June to land big dollars in whatever city willing to pay him the most.

Gonzalez also has been discussing a contract extension with the Chiefs for months, but those talks, for now, have hit a roadblock. Kansas City could opt to slap its franchise tag on Gonzalez, but that number still would be prohibitive. Plus, Kansas City also needs to re-sign its defensive end Jared Allen, a former fourth-round pick that has emerged into a top-flight pass rusher.

THE REMATCH

Beating New England is tough enough. Beating it the Sunday after a Patriots loss is near impossible.

The Patriots, who lost last Sunday night to the Indianapolis Colts, have an impressive streak of 57 games without back-to-back losses. The last time the Patriots lost games in back-to-back weeks was way back in December 2002, when they lost at Tennessee and then to the Jets.

The San Francisco 49ers set the post-merger record from 1995-99, when they went 60 games without losing two in a row. Should New England win Sunday, it would ensure itself of getting to at least 59 straight games without back-to-back losses, and the Patriots could shatter the record Dec. 3 at home against Detroit.

So this is what Jets coach Eric Mangini faces in his second head-to-head meeting with his former mentor, Bill Belichick.

THUMBS DOWN

NFL injuries sometimes are treated like an afterthought, as if it should be no problem for a player to go out there with a thumb injury.

For weeks, the Titans have said wide receiver David Givens has a "thumb injury." And he does. But the thumb injury is actually two torn ligaments in his thumb, confirmed a Titans source.

Try to be a wide receiver catcing a football with two ligaments ripped in your thumb. It's painful beyond words. It's the reason that Givens has not played in the Titans' past four games. He can't.

Givens -- whom Tennessee signed to a five-year, $24 million contract last winter -- returned to practice this week, hoping to play Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens. But he is trying to overcome an injury that has pained him more than most people realize.

GIANT PROBLEMS

It's not often that the Giants get a dose of good injury news, but they got some Thursday.

Wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who has been battling back spasms, practiced. Rookie wide receiver Sinorice Moss (quad) and veteran cornerback Sam Madison (hamstring) also did. But linebackers Brandon Short and Carlos Emmons and defensive end Justin Tuck did not.

Already, the Giants know they'll be without injured defensive ends Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora for Sunday night's showdown versus the Bears. Burress should be back, Moss won't be, and as for Short, Emmons, Madison and Tuck -- who knows?

"We'd like to get them all back, but we'll not be greedy," said Giants coach Tom Coughlin. "Whatever we can get back, we'll get back."

NO DOUBTING THOMAS

Without injured running back Willis McGahee, Bills coach Dick Jauron is turning to and counting on a familiar face -- Anthony Thomas.

Jauron and Thomas worked together in Chicago, where Thomas was a featured back for the Bears. Back in his rookie year in Chicago in 2001, Thomas churned out 1,183 yards. As recently as 2003, he ran for 1,024 more.

But then Thomas got hurt, was benched and fell out of favor with the Bears. He spent last season with Dallas and New Orleans, and signed last offseason with Buffalo, where he rejoined former Chicago teammates Chris Villarrial, Mike Gandy and Daimon Shelton.

It's like a former Bears reunion in Buffalo. But the team now would like Thomas, who hasn't had a 100-yard game since Nov. 7, 2004 against the Giants, to produce the way he once did in Chicago.

I'd let him walk. I don't think there's a lot of tread left on those tires. I would not give big money to an 11th year tight end. He ain't what he used to was.

He's still one of the best two or three TEs in the league ... but, imo, he only probably has a 2-3 year shelf life left ...

So, if the Chiefs sign him to a 2-3 yr deal, great ... especially if it's pretty incentive laden and/or back-end loaded.

He's still one of the best two or three TEs in the league ... but, imo, he only probably has a 2-3 year shelf life left ...

So, if the Chiefs sign him to a 2-3 yr deal, great ... especially if it's pretty incentive laden and/or back-end loaded.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. I think it costs the Chiefs $11-$12 million to sign him, but if they don't franchise him I could see Gonzalez taking off for similar money to a situation that gets him to the playoffs. Though I don't see Green Bay as any closer to a long run in the playoffs than the Chiefs.

My gut tells me they sign him, if only to send a message to the rest of the league that the Chiefs take care of their vets. They did the same thing for Priest.

But it wouldn't really break my heart if he left. The Chiefs have WAY too many needs and that $12 mil would come in handy. And Gonzo doesn't owe us anything: he's earned every penney and every Chief's fans lifetime respect.