[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ahman Green to the Giants?

PaulOttCarruth

LINK

Jacobs will probably have some new company in the backfield with him next season. Early indications are the team will be interested in Packers running back Ahman Green, who will be an unrestricted free agent. Green turns 30 next month.

There's also a chance the Giants will pursue Chargers backup Michael Turner, who rushed for 506 yards on 80 carries (6.3 average) this season behind LaDainian Tomlinson. Turner, who turns 25 next month, will be a restricted free agent, so the Giants would be forced to cough up a draft pick to sign him. They could also work out a trade with San Diego.

From everything I've heard, he wants to stay with Green Bay. That may change, however, if Favre hangs up the cleats.

Either the Giants have little faith that Jacobs can carry the full load, or they don't have their priorities straight as far as personnel to replace.

Isn't Dirt younger than Ahman Green?

Either the Giants have little faith that Jacobs can carry the full load, or they don't have their priorities straight as far as personnel to replace.

..or they're sending up a smoke screen so as not to tip their hand (I hope) :D

No, They just want to get a replacement that is good at fumbling like Tiki was earlier.

I've said let Ahman go. He WAS the best RB we've had in my lifetime, but we can do better and he has definitely lost a gear. Plus he fumbles way too much and with Favre on the team, we need SOMEONE to secure the ball. :D

Morency is a decent change of pace guy, but I think Marshawn Lynch or Michael Bush will be the 2007 starting RB.

As a point of reference, here's a quick comparison between Green and some other younger backs this season:

Games played:

Chester Taylor 15

Rudi Johnson 16

Ahman Green 14

Yards from scrimmage:

Chester Taylor 1504

Rudi Johnson 1433

Ahman Green 1432

Yards from scrimmage per game:

Chester Taylor 100.2

Rudi Johnson 89.6

Ahman Green 102.3

Yards per carry:

Chester Taylor 4.0

Rudi Johnson 3.8

Ahman Green 4.0

Fumbles Lost:

Chester Taylor 3

Rudi Johnson 2

Ahman Green 2

Rookies on offensive line:

Chester Taylor 0

Rudi Johnson 1

Ahman Green 3

Say what you will about Green, but the guy can still play. Age may be a concern, but he doesn't have the milage that some other younger guys have. He was a backup in Seattle and didn't become a workhorse until his third year.

He'll be 30 in a little over a month. Typically 30 and over for a running back is starting to be considered "old". See here for some analysis.

Yes but the comment was in response to him being older than dirt. He doesn't have a lot left but hasn't been a starter than many years either. He's lost a little but still has something left. He would be good for a team working a younger back in.

I wouldn't cry if Green was kept around for a 2 year deal that is relatively cheap, but if he gets any kind of big money or long offer, let him go.

Even if we do keep him, I'd still like to draft a RB high. I do agree with the Denver philosophy that a great line can make an average back great, but I'm not certain we'll have a 'great' line next year.

I wouldn't cry if Green was kept around for a 2 year deal that is relatively cheap, but if he gets any kind of big money or long offer, let him go.

Agreed. Green showed he still had burst, long speed, and ran tough with nary a complaint all year long. But things being what they are, he has 2200 touches and turns 30 in January - both of those numbers are where even exceptional backs begin to fall off. Green MIGHT be one of those rare RBs who stays productive well into his 30s, but so far the only two of those I've seen have been Payton and Sanders. Even the great ones are usually down to average or worse by 32.

Even if we do keep him, I'd still like to draft a RB high. I do agree with the Denver philosophy that a great line can make an average back great, but I'm not certain we'll have a 'great' line next year.

Breakdown from today's J-S on the Pack's line:

Rookie Daryn College, who started 14 games at left guard, didn't allow a sack at the position. Pressed into a start at left tackle in Miami when Chad Clifton was ill, he allowed two sacks to Jason Taylor.

Scott Wells led the offensive line in fewest sacks allowed with 1/2, followed by Mark Tauscher with one, Clifton with two, Jason Spitz with three and Tony Moll with four. As a unit, the group allowed 12 1/2, down from 17 1/2 in 2005. Clifton hasn't allowed more than 3 1/2 sacks in any of his seven seasons.

Bubba Franks allowed three sacks, and Brett Favre was responsible for 2 1/2.

The line yielded 96 1/2 "pressures", compared to 106 last year and just 64 in '04. Moll allowed the most pressures with 23 1/2, followed by Spitz with 19 1/2, Colledge with 19, Clifton with 14, Wells with 11 and Tauscher with 9 1/2. Franks also allowed 9 1/2.

By subjective count, the responsibility for the most "bad" runs was on Spitz with 17 1/2. A "bad" run is defined as a carry for 1 yard or less not occurring in goal-line, short-yardage or kneel-down situations.

Spitz was followed by Wells (17), Colledge (14 1 /2), Clifton (12), Moll (10), Franks (7 1/2), Tauscher (7 1/ 2), Brandon Miree (six), Vernand Morency (5 1/2), Ahman Green (four), David Martin (3 1/2), William Henderson (two) and Donald Lee (one).

Bottom line, I think the line can be GOOD to VERY GOOD next year; ideally you'd like to see if Spitz, Moll, and Colledge improved as the year went on. They appear to be EXCELLENT in pass pro, but need some work in the run game.

If you look at the games green played in many of those yards where garbage yards in the 4th quarter when the packers where way behind and the opposing team was playing the pass.

I think green is past his prime and the pack should let him move on.

That occurred twice - in week 1 against Chicago, with a fiesty Bears team not willing to concede ANYTHING, and in garbage time vs the Jets.

I don't think anyone here will dispute that Green is past his prime, but he also is still a productive player worth making an effort to keep. Thompson does not seem the type to overpay for him.