[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boot Camp Tom to return

PantherDave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a good move for the Giants myself.

I think this sends a message to the players(Shockey,Burress,etc.) that the owner backs his coaches not loud mouth, know nothing.. trouble making players.

When Coughlin has made enemies with several players at TWO different HC jobs, I tend to believe that HE'S the problem, not the "trouble-making players."

Good point, but it's a fine line, as the players win or lose the games. When all aboard are on the same page and believe in the system then you have harmony. It may be just as you said, but with the cap and contracts you can't just clean house in your player pool.

Even though it may not be the "right" thing to do, you have to be able to massage egos and let some things go as a HC in the NFL. Being a no-nonsense, drill-seargeant type may be have worked in the '70s and '80s, but it doesn't work anymore. That's one reason why Parcells is still coaching and Ditka lost his players in NO in the late '90s.

When Coughlin has made enemies with several players at TWO different HC jobs, I tend to believe that HE'S the problem, not the "trouble-making players."

Coughlin just treats everyone the same...if the backup is practicing hard the starter needs to be practicing that hard too.

Many of the bigger name players think they should get special treatment. those kinds of guys don't like Coughlin. then they go to their media friends and start their pitch to get rid of the coach. glad to see the Giants organization understood this and stood firm. IMO the Giants will be much better next year because of this.

People just seem to the think the Giants are more talented than they are and think they should of been better because of that. they are not very talented outside of their D-line.

From the previous Coughlin thread with the more cryptic title "frack":

Hard to believe. The Giants definitely unacheived this year, and a lot of that can be attributed to Coughlin.

He allows vets to pretty much do as they please (as long as they get to meetings 10 minutes early), and the lack of cohesion in what is on paper a very talented team was disturbing. He also seems to be hindering Eli Manning's development - especially since the vets aren't accountable for their actions.

Coughlin is the type of coach that seems great for an unacheiving young team - he has no problem cracking the whip on younger players. In fact, his discipline with younger guys seems over the top at times. Put him on a veteran team and it seems like the older guys lose their fear of him in a year or two and just start to tune him out, and eventually start calling him out in the press (which means the locker room is probably really a mess).

This looks like a step backwards for the Giants at a time when they should be rising to near the top of the NFC.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Coughlin just treats everyone the same...if the backup is practicing hard the starter needs to be practicing that hard too.

Many of the bigger name players think they should get special treatment. those kinds of guys don't like Coughlin. then they go to their media friends and start their pitch to get rid of the coach. glad to see the Giants organization understood this and stood firm.

Coughlin imposes unreasonable rules, is notorious for unreasonably-long practices, and has a bad habit of throwing his players under the bus when talking to the media. Brunell's dislike of him in Jacksonville is well-known and it has been reported that other JAX veterans said that they'd rather play elsewhere for less money than under Coughlin.

IMO the Giants will be much better next year because of this. People just seem to the think the Giants are more talented than they are and think they should of been better because of that. they are not very talented outside of their D-line.

The Giants had a very solid Front 7 and tons of weapons on offense this year, yet couldn't beat an injury-plagued Eagles team in the playoffs. Their O-line commits approximately one false start every fourth or fifth play. They have one of the most talented young QBs in the league, yet his development hasn't progressed since last season. To say they under-achieved this season is the understatement of the year. And that all falls on the coaching staff.

Edited by Bill Swerski

The Giants had a very solid Front 7 and tons of weapons on offense this year, yet couldn't beat an injury-plagued Eagles team in the playoffs. Their O-line commits approximately one false start every fourth or fifth play. They have one of the most talented young QBs in the league, yet his development hasn't progressed since last season. To say they under-achieved this season is the understatement of the year. And that all falls on the coaching staff.

They are not as talented as the Eagles. plus Reid is IMO 1 of the top coaches in the league. Coughlin is good..but not in Reids league. not to mention Philly played the game at home.

I expected the Giants to be in last place and have a worse record than they had. to me the Giants did overachieve considering they are a horrible passblocking team..cannot stop the pass..and don't have very good WR's. the LB'ers are average at best. IMO the only places they were solid was on the defensive line and at RB.

Then you throw in the nutcases Coughlin has to deal with and you come up with 8-8 not being to bad.

He also seems to be hindering Eli Manning's development - especially since the vets aren't accountable for their actions.

What do you mean by this? Another person mentioned Eli's development too. How does Coughlin hinder it? Not disagreeing with you here... I'm just ignorant about the situation.

I hear what you're saying here, but at the same time this same core group of guys has now seemingly quit on two coaches at the tail end of seasons - they quit on Fassel at the end of his tenure, and they seemed to quit on Coughlin down the stretch this season.

I think the whole team needs to be overhauled.

I expected the Giants to be in last place and have a worse record than they had. to me the Giants did overachieve considering they are a horrible passblocking team..cannot stop the pass.. the LB'ers are average at best. IMO the only places they were solid was on the defensive line and at RB.

Agreed that their O-line isn't that great, but it's not much worse than Indy's and they managed to win 12 games with an even worse defense.

and don't have very good WR's.

Um, Burress and Toomer aren't very good WRs? Shockey isn't a good receiving TE? I beg to differ.

Agreed that their O-line isn't that great, but it's not much worse than Indy's and they managed to win 12 games with an even worse defense.

Um, Burress and Toomer aren't very good WRs? Shockey isn't a good receiving TE? I beg to differ.

Burress and Shockey have all kinds of talent. but their attitudes took everything they are good at away and more.

I hear what you're saying here, but at the same time this same core group of guys has now seemingly quit on two coaches at the tail end of seasons - they quit on Fassel at the end of his tenure, and they seemed to quit on Coughlin down the stretch this season.

I think the whole team needs to be overhauled.

I agree with this mostly.

I would just go with Burress and Shockey for now. they seem to be the 2 that were making things hard in the clubhouse.

Burress and Shockey have all kinds of talent. but their attitudes took everything they are good at away and more.

Burress and Shockey were both productive with lesser QBs before Coughlin's tenure, yet their production has stalled in Coughlin's offense. And, for that matter, Eli's development has essentially stalled from last season. It has nothing to do with attitude and everything to do with the fact that Coughlin does a poor job of developing QBs and a mediocre job of running an offense.

I think it is a good move for the Giants myself.

I think this sends a message to the players(Shockey,Burress,etc.) that the owner backs his coaches not loud mouth, know nothing.. trouble making players.

That's fine if your coaches are doing a good job. Coughlin and his chosen coaches have not game planned or adjusted very well during games.

He pushes players hard and they do well the first half of the year but fail down the stretch. By mid season they are drained and the record reflects this.

If he can get better assistants and adjust his style to one that works better he could do well, but at 60 years old I doubt he will.