[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boot Camp Tom to return

PantherDave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coughlin does a poor job of developing QBs

Wow, you really never cease to amaze me at how little you know about this situation.

How little he knows? Which QB did Coughlin develop in JAX? Quite a few people here are stating that E Manning looks uninterested & unenthusiastic - yet his career stats to date indicate a physical capability to become a potentially very good pro QB. Could it be that Manning can't bloom as a team leader because Coughlin constantly throws his own players under the bus, causing sniping contests between Coughlin & his vet players, and sniping between the vets themselves? How is a young QB supposed to enter that kind of situation and become a team leader?

Coughlin didn't develop squat in JAX - Brunell was handed to him when Coughlin took over in JAX after learning to play QB in the GB/Holmgren/Wolf system. Manning appears to be lost despite his physical skills. Who else is there? David Garrard? Rob Johnson? Steve Matthews? Jamie Martin? Jonathan Quinn? Jay Fiedler? Tim Hasselbeck? Jared Lorenzen? Now there's a list of solid NFL QB stock if I've ever seen it...

Wow, so Coughlin is able to mindmeld a players entire psychie, as if manning jr hasn't always been a clueless deer in headlights. Where is the manning jr of old who was a firey bretty farve leafer?

Blaming one guy for manning jr choking is weak, I guess Mora jr made vick suck huh?

Wow, you really never cease to amaze me at how little you know about this situation.

I seem to remember Jacksonville had some pretty great success under him, and didn't the Giants just have a playoff game?

So you're telling me that Brunell reached his potential under Coughlin in Jacksonville? TWO 20-TD seasons in NINE years in JAX and FOUR seasons with a completion percentage of under 60? Oh, and it's pretty widely-known that Brunell hated Coughlin. Talk about uninformed. :D

Coughlin knows football, as evidenced by Jacksonville's playoff record in the '90s, but he's terrible with his players and does a poor job of developing QBs.

Coughlin didn't develop squat in JAX - Brunell was handed to him when Coughlin took over in JAX after learning to play QB in the GB/Holmgren/Wolf system.

Brunell was only in the league for two years before being shipped off to Jacksonville, so Coughlin had plenty of time to mold him into an above-average passer. But you're correct about Coughlin not developing squat.

Funny how good coaches like Parcells can command respect from a$$hats like Lawrence Taylor, Keyshawn, and Terry Glenn and get them to play their best football, while all Coughlin could do with a talented and mild-mannered Mark Brunell was piss him off.

Edited by Bill Swerski

So you're telling me that Brunell reached his potential under Coughlin in Jacksonville?

I am saying that. J.smith and keenan have some of the highest stats ever for a receiving duo and Coughlin is known as an offensive guru.

Like it or not, coughlin isn't the problem. Disagree? Fine, seems the NYG front office/owners agree with me. So stick that in your doody hole and smoke it.

I am saying that. J.smith and keenan have some of the highest stats ever for a receiving duo and Coughlin is known as an offensive guru.

Coughlin's JAX teams ranked in the Top 10 in passing yards a whole three times in nine years. And that's with Brunell, Smith, McCardell, Brady, Taylor, Boselli, and Searcy. I'd hate to see what Mr. Offensive Guru would've done with lesser talent.

So, no, Coughlin is not an "offensive guru," you moran.

Like it or not, coughlin isn't the problem. Disagree? Fine, seems the NYG front office/owners agree with me. So stick that in your doody hole and smoke it.

:D

They also added a year to the contract-so with next year that gives him 2 if I understand the extension.

No, he had one year left and extended it one year. TT did a similar thing with Mike Sherman. It probably only means they wanted toi show him a little confidence, but could fire him if he doesn't produce. He won't unless he changes a lot.

They also added a year to the contract-so with next year that gives him 2 if I understand the extension.

Correct. His contract was supposed to expire at the end of the 2007 season (next season), now it goes through the end of the 2008 season.

So, no, Coughlin is not an "offensive guru," you moran.

Hmm, no?

Seems at least one person agrees with me...

Giants coach Tom Coughlin is known as a tyrant, a coach players love to hate. Here's something else he should be known for: Offensive football. When Coughlin was the coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, he had explosive offenses. Now he has one in New York. The Giants lead the league in scoring at 28.8 point per game, and Coughlin's aggressive approach is a big reason. Coughlin doesn't get the due he deserves for being an offensive wizard. The late Sid Gillman, the offensive guru of gurus, once said Coughlin one of the best offensive minds in the game. That's high praise. We tend to agree.

http://droc49ers.blogspot.com/2005_10_23_d...rs_archive.html

To say that coughlin doesn't know how to move the offense after what he has done on the field and what he turned tiki into... well, makes sense you like the bears just like a typical learning disabled NFL fan.

If I were Coughlin, knowing that I'll probably get fired at the end of next season anyway, I'd dedicate the next 12 months to making Jeremy Shockey and Plaxico Burress suffer. I wouldn't care if my team lost every game, my goal would be to make life a living hell for those two idiots.

But that's just me.

Let me know when they win a SB - scratch that, a playoff game - with Coughlin. Until then, you argument smells like something produced by a doody hole, and it's damn hard to keep lit to smoke it.

If I were Coughlin, knowing that I'll probably get fired at the end of next season anyway, I'd dedicate the next 12 months to making Jeremy Shockey and Plaxico Burress suffer. I wouldn't care if my team lost every game, my goal would be to make life a living hell for those two idiots.

But that's just me.

I can almost support that attitude.

It seems to me that Coughlin is just a stop gap for one more year. Then the Giants will make a strong push for Cohwer. Either that or the Giants don't like the pool of available candidates. It's mind boggling how he can really come back. The team has no discipline and clearly doesn't enjoy playing for him. If that's not a recipe for disaster I don't know what is.

well, makes sense you like the bears just like a typical learning disabled NFL fan.

Apparently nobody will ever claim that you're an English Guru. :D

Coughlin's Giants were 13th in offensive yards and 11th in offensive TDs this year, so I don't know what you're talking about. Those numbers are also pretty marginal considering the level of skill-position talent they have. And I suppose that you also consider Brian Billick an "offensive guru" as well, despite the fact that he hasn't put together an above-average offense in eight years. :D

This may come as a surprise to you, but knowing how to do something and actually accomplishing it are two completely different things.

Edited by Bill Swerski

If coughlin and the giants have another average season or worse he will be gone next year ( cowher , belichick or weiss would be welcomed )

He has a history and ior rep of being a disciplinarian yet thes giants are one of if not the most undisciplined / uncontrollable teams in the league

It is not all his fault for sure but he is not the solution either and will not be ....a new voice and coach is needed .....it will happen by end of 2007 in my opinion

I forgot Bill ...my bad ...coughlin and bill walsh are one in the same and that is why you will never see them together at one place ...it is one person

You're right. Tom Coughlin's offenses have blown away Mike Holmgren's, Mike Shanahan's, Dick Vermeil's, Mike Martz's, and Tom Moore's as well.