[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could it really be this simple with Eli?

PantherDave

All his natural born life he's most likely been told how good he is, how good his lineage is, who will hold the most NFL records in the end etc..etc..

The last time I checked the NFL was the "show me" league where your actual playing abiltity(well ok, but he's the most exciting player in the NFL,now back to Eli) was the barometer? Maybe, just maybe, this kid is simply not as good as advertised, because the look on his face to me say's, "But, but, I'm suppose to be good-heck I'm suppose to be elite." The kid seems to fuggin daydream on the sideline-who knows, he may shock the world next season. Just imagine the backlash if Rivers is QBing in the Super Bowl.

All his natural born life he's most likely been told how good he is, how good his lineage is, who will hold the most NFL records in the end etc..etc..

The last time I checked the NFL was the "show me" league where your actual playing abiltity(well ok, but he's the most exciting player in the NFL,now back to Eli) was the barometer? Maybe, just maybe, this kid is simply not as good as advertised, because the look on his face to me say's, "But, but, I'm suppose to be good-heck I'm suppose to be elite." The kid seems to fuggin daydream on the sideline-who knows, he may shock the world next season. Just imagine the backlash if Rivers is QBing in the Super Bowl.

well ... there it goes :D

Last time i checked, Rivers has a guy named LT on his team. I could quarterback the Chargers to the Superbowl with the cast on the Chargers team.

you're right Tiki Barber is a chump ...

sure, he isn't LT but he isn't Rueben Droughns, Cedric Houston, Tatum "My Toes!!" Bell, or many others ... Rivers is certainly in a nice position though and it is mostly because of the Giants

Eli on the other hand was terrible this year and just being in another uni wouldn't have changed that much IMO ... he was making poor decisions and decisions don't change with the uni.

i think you're probably right PD. i have actually been telling my wife all year that i almost feel bad for eli. his last name is manning and he's supposed to go beat the devil up if you tell him to right? when really, he's a fine quarterback, but he's not great. it makes me think of chris simms. people are just waiting for him to suddenly light it up and be legendary when there is just as good of a possibility that he just isn't as good as everyone wants him to be. i do think it could be that simple with eli PD, i do.

I think it's clear that Eli isn't going to be as good as Peyton. That said, playing under Coughlin (who is terrible with QBs) behind a bad O-line isn't helping him either.

I found it ironic that Eli refused to sign with SD because Marty supposedly did a poor job of developing QBs, but the Manning family thought that Coughlin could be a better option for some reason. :D

I think it's clear that Eli isn't going to be as good as Peyton. That said, playing under Coughlin (who is terrible with QBs) behind a bad O-line isn't helping him either.

I found it ironic that Eli refused to sign with SD because Marty supposedly did a poor job of developing QBs, but the Manning family thought that Coughlin could be a better option for some reason. :D

didn't some of it have to do with endorsement opportunities in NY as well? i honestly don't remember ... but i would think the endorsements would be fairly comparable in Southern Cal ... i thought i remember reading something about endorsements too.

Yeah..that is the 1 thing that makes me not feel sorry for Eli. and the same reason I never liked Elway. they were not happy enough to be in the NFL. they had to pick what team they were gonna play for too.

Last time i checked, Rivers has a guy named LT on his team. I could quarterback the Chargers to the Superbowl with the cast on the Chargers team.

Rivers also has a very good O-line in front of him and a play-making defense that held leads. Rivers' 460 passing attempts also ranked 25th in the NFL, which goes to show that he wasn't exactly put in a position where he had to carry that offense.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Rivers also has a very good O-line in front of him and a play-making defense that held leads. Rivers' 460 passing attempts also ranked 25th in the NFL, which goes to show that he wasn't exactly put in a position where he had to carry that offense.

LT even had to throw 2 td's for him. :D

I don't think its an "elitist" think with Eli. If anything, I think its the opposite.

When I watch him, its almost like he doesn't really want to be playing football. But since he was born, everyone's been telling him he's supposed to be a great quarterback. So he just goes through the motions. He obviously has a great deal of natural ability, but he seems disinterested.

He reminds me of Hermie the elf in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer who wanted to be a dentist but everyone told him he had to make toys because he was an elf. Eli should go be a dentist. Or make toys...whatever. He just doesn't look like he wants to be a professional football player.

Edited by Vet

Yeah..that is the 1 thing that makes me not feel sorry for Eli. and the same reason I never liked Elway. they were not happy enough to be in the NFL. they had to pick what team they were gonna play for too.

Wouldn't you want to pick where you played if you could?

Eli needs a teacher. Favre was terrible until Holmgren and other taught him how to play in ther NFL. I doubt if he gets good instruction in NY.

Edited by Randall

Why would it matter if Rivers went to the SB? Nobody goes to the SB because of one man. Nobody goes because they're the best team in the league on one side of the ball, "O" or "D". The "Team" gets there period. All facets of the game have to come together. Rivers has shown enough with his "team" for them to almost get there so far, good for him. The Giants weren't going with anyone else QBing, they just weren't good enough on either side of the ball this year, st's or coaching. Eli had some very good games and some bad ones. I think he'll turn out to be a good QB.

My take on Eli is that no, he is not Peyton because IMO no one is Peyton. However...

What you cannot do is to consider a quarterback apart from his coaching, system, blocking, play calling, schedule and players around him.

In Manning's favor, he played well through week seven by which time he had thrown 12 TD's against four interceptions and averaged 235 yards per game. Those included road games in SD and DAL.

Barber ended the year on a high note but he too was struggling earlier in the year thanks in part to the blocking.

Manning was playing much better through week eight and then Toomer was lost for the season. When Toomer left, all Manning had to throw to was Burress and Shockey who spent much of the year less than 100% (but then again, when was that not true?). The offense never adjusted to losing Toomer who did not have a huge role anyway but it was noticeable after he left that the offense suffered.

I would not be quick to label Eli as a flop since he still ended around 12th best in fantasy points but in that offense with Coughlin there I would not expect that the Giants are going to turn into a passing behemoth. Realize too that Coughlin fired OC Huffnagel from play calling a few weeks back for a reason.

Eli takes the brunt of being the sibling of one of the best QBs in an offense stocked with top WRs. I would doubt that Eli would ever rise to the level of his brother even in the same offense and in a lesser one, there is no way he will as long as Coughlin is in charge and the offense is so limited in decent weapons. With Barber gone, the only reasonable assumption is that it will get worse before it gets better. Particularly with Coughlin back this year. The Giants need better blocking and a system more diverse than hand off, hand off, throw deep to Burress, punt.

I wouldn't write off Eli from ever being a top5 or even a top 3 QB at some point, but for now all the conditions indicate it will likely be more of the same.

And Eli sort of screwed himself too by jilting SD (big mistake) for NY because it is a major media market which means the media is merciless against him. Bad decision by Dad.

My take on Eli is that no, he is not Peyton because IMO no one is Peyton. However...

What you cannot do is to consider a quarterback apart from his coaching, system, blocking, play calling, schedule and players around him.

In Manning's favor, he played well through week seven by which time he had thrown 12 TD's against four interceptions and averaged 235 yards per game. Those included road games in SD and DAL.

Barber ended the year on a high note but he too was struggling earlier in the year thanks in part to the blocking.

Manning was playing much better through week eight and then Toomer was lost for the season. When Toomer left, all Manning had to throw to was Burress and Shockey who spent much of the year less than 100% (but then again, when was that not true?). The offense never adjusted to losing Toomer who did not have a huge role anyway but it was noticeable after he left that the offense suffered.

I would not be quick to label Eli as a flop since he still ended around 12th best in fantasy points but in that offense with Coughlin there I would not expect that the Giants are going to turn into a passing behemoth. Realize too that Coughlin fired OC Huffnagel from play calling a few weeks back for a reason.

Eli takes the brunt of being the sibling of one of the best QBs in an offense stocked with top WRs. I would doubt that Eli would ever rise to the level of his brother even in the same offense and in a lesser one, there is no way he will as long as Coughlin is in charge and the offense is so limited in decent weapons. With Barber gone, the only reasonable assumption is that it will get worse before it gets better. Particularly with Coughlin back this year. The Giants need better blocking and a system more diverse than hand off, hand off, throw deep to Burress, punt.

I wouldn't write off Eli from ever being a top5 or even a top 3 QB at some point, but for now all the conditions indicate it will likely be more of the same.

And Eli sort of screwed himself too by jilting SD (big mistake) for NY because it is a major media market which means the media is merciless against him. Bad decision by Dad.

bingo