[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tonight's Tasting Notes (Thanks Bier!)

Seattle LawDawg

Well, I haven't posted notes from my weekly wine drinking lately because I've been sticking to a bunch of the same ones....A lot of Shea, Lemelson, etc.

The other day, Bier mentioned Francis Tannahill winery. I'd never had anything from the winery but recognized the Tannahill name as the former winemaker of Archery Summit. Well, after a little research, it is the same person. Sam Tannahill was the winemaker at Archery Summit during the late 90s and early 00s during a stretch of great wines for the winery. From there he went to Shea vineyards. Thats a hell of a resume' right there. He married the winemaker from Chehalem and they started Francis Tannahill winery, while still making wines for other wineries as well. They are also the heads of A to Z wineworks, which many view as the best budget Pinot label in the NW.

Fast forward to this evening: we arrive at our regular Wednesday night wine bar and I happen to notice a couple bottles of 04 Francis Tannahill Hermit Pinot Noir on the shelf. I grabbed them both quick and got them opened. At first sniff, I thought the first bottle was corked. I set it back down, chatted a bit, and took a whiff of the other...similar smell. I figured I'd never be hearing the end of getting these two bottles.

From there it got interesting. If you want to experience a wine opening up a couple hours, I've never found a better example. When I went to take the first sip, the wine reached out, slapped me around, and called me a bitch. At that point I realized what a HUGH young wine this was. Over then next 90 minutes, it came around to one of the most enjoyable Oregon Pinots I have had in a long time.

During the late 90s and early 00s, the only real criticisms of Archery Summit's wines were the Oak forward, strong tannins overpowering the wine a bit. I don't agree with it as a criticism but as a positive characteristic and could see the same in this wine. The 04 vintage in Oregon is typically more earthy than the fruit forward vintage of 03. This wine certainly met that and as the night went on the the decanter worked its magic, we got a very balanced wine with deep dark fruit, characteristic Oregon soil, and plenty of leather.

Unfortunately, we drank the last two bottles at the wine bar or I would have been coming home with some. This is definitely a wine that could be saved for 5-7 years. Thanks Bier....You definitely chose your classmates well.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg