[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chan Freakin Gailey

whosyourdaddy

Steelers to interview former coordinator Gailey

Thursday, January 11, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers will reach back to one of their former offensive coordinators and interview Georgia Tech Coach Chan Gailey about becoming their next head coach, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Gailey, 55, will meet this weekend with team chairman Dan Rooney, president Art Rooney II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert about replacing Bill Cowher, who resigned last week after 15 seasons. Gailey will be the fifth and, apparently, final candidate to interview for the position.

The Steelers will begin paring their list of candidates next week and conduct second interviews with those who make the final cut. They have already interviewed four candidates: offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, offensive line coach Russ Grimm, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Whisenhunt is scheduled to have a second interview Friday with the Arizona Cardinals, who are looking for a replacement for fired Dennis Green. Grimm had a first interview earlier this week with the Cardinals.

The Steelers have no immediate timetable to name a succesor to Cowher.

Gailey was the Steelers' offensive coordinator for two seasons, beginning in 1996, before leaving to become head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1998. He was with the Cowboys for two seasons before becoming head coach at Georgia Tech in 2002, where he compiled a record of 37-27.

Great....I guess this means they are not thrilled with the other four guys.

Steelers to interview former coordinator Gailey

Thursday, January 11, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers will reach back to one of their former offensive coordinators and interview Georgia Tech Coach Chan Gailey about becoming their next head coach, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Gailey, 55, will meet this weekend with team chairman Dan Rooney, president Art Rooney II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert about replacing Bill Cowher, who resigned last week after 15 seasons. Gailey will be the fifth and, apparently, final candidate to interview for the position.

The Steelers will begin paring their list of candidates next week and conduct second interviews with those who make the final cut. They have already interviewed four candidates: offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, offensive line coach Russ Grimm, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Whisenhunt is scheduled to have a second interview Friday with the Arizona Cardinals, who are looking for a replacement for fired Dennis Green. Grimm had a first interview earlier this week with the Cardinals.

The Steelers have no immediate timetable to name a succesor to Cowher.

Gailey was the Steelers' offensive coordinator for two seasons, beginning in 1996, before leaving to become head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1998. He was with the Cowboys for two seasons before becoming head coach at Georgia Tech in 2002, where he compiled a record of 37-27.

Great....I guess this means they are not thrilled with the other four guys.

I'll be shocked if it goes to anyone other than Whisenhunt or Grimm.

Then why delay things for a week to interview a 55 year old retread? And yes, I am very afraid.

The Rooney's are very thorough and will not rush to a decision. Also, given their last two choices, I'm going to go ahead and trust them to make the best decision for the team.

Don't get me wrong, I hear what you are saying. When I saw Chan's name, I was like :D , but, I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. :D

I'll be shocked if it goes to anyone other than Whisenhunt or Grimm.

+1 I'm hoping that if it goes to either Whisenhunt or Grimm, the other stays. Am also hoping they retain the whole coaching staff if possible. Of the outsiders, I'd like to see Ron Rivera. He'd be the prototypical Steelers coach IMO.

Chan Gailey :D

:D

Yes, sadly, if Chan Gailey takes over, we migh, at worse change from being an extremely more dominant team than the Chiefs to being just a much more dominant team than the Chiefs...... :clap:

You just continue to enjoy Herm, and how he gets you guys CLOSE to the promised land..... :bash: