[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My apology to fellow Saints Huddlers

Rockerbraves

Rajncajn good to see there is a whole new generation of Saints fans growing up out there. My guess is that most are either newbies or bandwagon Saint fans. A true diehard Saint fan is never confident and doesn't know how to talk smack prior to the game. We are a humble bunch much like the Chicago Cub fans. We are the team who drafted Russell Erxlaben in the first round 11th overall which is still the highest drafted kicker in the history of the NFL. And he sucked! We are a team that didn't win a playoff game in over 30 years of existence and still only boast of one playoff victory in franchise history.

Sorry, but there has only been one time in my life that I proudly wore the Saints cap while traveling thru airports and driving on interstates outside the states or LA & MS. that was in 1992 the greatest era of Saints football. We made it to the playoffs that year for their 3rd straight season finishing with a more than respectable 12-4 record. Ironically that year we also met an underdog outmanned Eagle team in the playoffs. This is what I had to endure that sad day while sitting in the Dome:

1992: The Saints who lead the NFL in fewest points allowed with 202, and Sacks with 57 finish with a 12-4 record earning their 3rd consecutive trip to the playoffs. The Saints would even earn another home playoff game with a 20-0 victory over the New York Jets in their final game of the season. In the playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles the Saints held a 20-7 lead and looked well on their way to their first playoff victory. However, the Eagles stormed back by scoring 29 unanswered points over the final quarter and half to beat the Saints 36-20. :D

Now make no mistake about it I will be rooting as hard if not harder than most New Orleans homer on this site come Saturday night. However the scars of past seasons prevents me from doing something as simple as betting an avitar for fear it may be misconstrued as confidence or worse yet smack talk. For this I am sincerely sorry. It's not my fault, it simply how I have been raised over 30+ years of being a Saints fan.

Geaux Saints! :D

Rajncajn good to see there is a whole new generation of Saints fans growing up out there. My guess is that most are either newbies or bandwagon Saint fans. A true diehard Saint fan is never confident and doesn't know how to talk smack prior to the game. We are a humble bunch much like the Chicago Cub fans. We are the team who drafted Russell Erxlaben in the first round 11th overall which is still the highest drafted kicker in the history of the NFL. And he sucked! We are a team that didn't win a playoff game in over 30 years of existence and still only boast of one playoff victory in franchise history.

Sorry, but there has only been one time in my life that I proudly wore the Saints cap while traveling thru airports and driving on interstates outside the states or LA & MS. that was in 1992 the greatest era of Saints football. We made it to the playoffs that year for their 3rd straight season finishing with a more than respectable 12-4 record. Ironically that year we also met an underdog outmanned Eagle team in the playoffs. This is what I had to endure that sad day while sitting in the Dome:

1992: The Saints who lead the NFL in fewest points allowed with 202, and Sacks with 57 finish with a 12-4 record earning their 3rd consecutive trip to the playoffs. The Saints would even earn another home playoff game with a 20-0 victory over the New York Jets in their final game of the season. In the playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles the Saints held a 20-7 lead and looked well on their way to their first playoff victory. However, the Eagles stormed back by scoring 29 unanswered points over the final quarter and half to beat the Saints 36-20. :D

Now make no mistake about it I will be rooting as hard if not harder than most New Orleans homer on this site come Saturday night. However the scars of past seasons prevents me from doing something as simple as betting an avitar for fear it may be misconstrued as confidence or worse yet smack talk. For this I am sincerely sorry. It's not my fault, it simply how I have been raised over 30+ years of being a Saints fan.

I remember that day very well, a Reggie White safety and a Eric Allen interception for T.D. off a Steve Walsh's 15 yard out! It would of been know as one greatest comebacks of all time, except that The Bills came back from 31-3 to beat the Oilers on the same day.

Lets have a repeat!

Go Birds!

I know you. Been there done that. I know how you feel trust me. like I said before i was an 11 yr. old kid sitting in the end zone of the Saints first game(thanks dad). i worked for 3 yrs(14-17) selling popcorn at old Tulane Stadium for the games. season ticket holder for 11 yrs(though that was 15 yrs ago). yes I to was brought up on the Saints and have had my heart broken many many times, I to became humble and accepted all that came with being a Saints fan and learned however good we looked never get confident especially during playoffs.

But this year is different in everything the front office, coach , team on down. it's been a long time coming but it's time to start being confident, smack talk and all that comes with winning. because this is the NFL and this is the Saints it may only come once in a while so take advantage of it when it comes.

I also remember that game, Iron Head Hayward, Great game!

Boys , put your saints caps on proudly , stick your chest out and talk some confident smack ...this is an excellent saints team and one that should win this weekend ...they got to this point so enjoy it , embrace it and speak up ...take advantage of the position you are in and do not fear losing

truly ,

Temp saints fan who will be rooting hard for you all

That was not a great game and that was my last game as a season ticket holder.

I had fun!

That was not a great game and that was my last game as a season ticket holder.

I actually attended that game with a close relative of Bobby Hebert who was getting booed late in that game. After the game I got the chance to go down to the locker room. I still remember to this day how he surprisingly passed off the blame to everyone else but himself. It took everthing I had in me not to say come on Bobby your happy feet is what cost us that gamel If I am not mistaken we would have played the Cowboys the next week who ended up destroying the Eagles and went on to win the Super Bowl.

I know you. Been there done that. I know how you feel trust me. like I said before i was an 11 yr. old kid sitting in the end zone of the Saints first game(thanks dad). i worked for 3 yrs(14-17) selling popcorn at old Tulane Stadium for the games. season ticket holder for 11 yrs(though that was 15 yrs ago). yes I to was brought up on the Saints and have had my heart broken many many times, I to became humble and accepted all that came with being a Saints fan and learned however good we looked never get confident especially during playoffs.

But this year is different in everything the front office, coach , team on down. it's been a long time coming but it's time to start being confident, smack talk and all that comes with winning. because this is the NFL and this is the Saints it may only come once in a while so take advantage of it when it comes.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe it's a little easier for me because I'm a bit younger, but like Slayer says this season and this team really does feel different to me. So while the smack is still in jest I will be laying it down proudly. :D

What's interesting about thsi post is that as a diehard Eagles fan.....

we share some things.

Look, New Orleans isn't really a sports city - you have one real pro franchise (the bball team doesn't count as I don't even know where they play now). More importantly, you have a billion other things to do - it's an amazing city.

Now Philly is my hometown (well, really SJ, but it's my home "city"). It's got history - unfortunately, it's the history book history of 250 years ago, which is the age of most of the streets it sometimes feels like. It's the city people are born in, grow up in, get jobs in, die in. 75% of Philly resdients are from Philly - tops in all of the US. Where am I going with this - we have 4 sports teams, and a city like this lives and dies with them. For my childhood, it was great - Flyers won a couple cups, Phillies finally won a world series and reached another one, Sixers were a championship team and our beloved eagles finally got good, and got to a superbowl. 1980 was amazing and 83 was pretty good too.

I was 13 and thought "this is normal - one of the teams will win a championship every other year or so"

I'll be 37 when this superbowl is played. I'm still waiting on the next "other year".

I was reading a book about the Red Sox (by Bill Simmons, ESPN Page 2 columnist). He stated the '86 series was when Sox fans went from "cautiously hoping for the best to always expecting the worst". I'm not sure Eagles fans are there yet, but considering it's not just a team, it's 4 teams that represent a city in as deep a way as any city in america, I'm not sure we aren't there either.

So what does this all mean - one fan base is hoping to finally be able to take the figurative bag off their head this weekend forever (although I'd argue that's already happened)....the other may be looking at this team as it's lynchpin team - the one that makes us finally go from grudging optimists to fatalistic pessimists. It's weird, cause this is an "out of nowhere" team (look back at my NFC East Title post - not a single eagles fan, including me, said "yes, this is definitely going to happen"), so you would think we'd be somewhat "happy go lucky" about it. We're not - i think this is it, at least for me, meaning if they don't at least make the SB, I may turn into one of those fans that will root, but in a depressing way, not an uplifting one.

I think I just wrote myself into nausea.

What's interesting about thsi post is that as a diehard Eagles fan.....

we share some things.

Look, New Orleans isn't really a sports city - you have one real pro franchise (the bball team doesn't count as I don't even know where they play now). More importantly, you have a billion other things to do - it's an amazing city.

Now Philly is my hometown (well, really SJ, but it's my home "city"). It's got history - unfortunately, it's the history book history of 250 years ago, which is the age of most of the streets it sometimes feels like. It's the city people are born in, grow up in, get jobs in, die in. 75% of Philly resdients are from Philly - tops in all of the US. Where am I going with this - we have 4 sports teams, and a city like this lives and dies with them. For my childhood, it was great - Flyers won a couple cups, Phillies finally won a world series and reached another one, Sixers were a championship team and our beloved eagles finally got good, and got to a superbowl. 1980 was amazing and 83 was pretty good too.

I was 13 and thought "this is normal - one of the teams will win a championship every other year or so"

I'll be 37 when this superbowl is played. I'm still waiting on the next "other year".

I was reading a book about the Red Sox (by Bill Simmons, ESPN Page 2 columnist). He stated the '86 series was when Sox fans went from "cautiously hoping for the best to always expecting the worst". I'm not sure Eagles fans are there yet, but considering it's not just a team, it's 4 teams that represent a city in as deep a way as any city in america, I'm not sure we aren't there either.

So what does this all mean - one fan base is hoping to finally be able to take the figurative bag off their head this weekend forever (although I'd argue that's already happened)....the other may be looking at this team as it's lynchpin team - the one that makes us finally go from grudging optimists to fatalistic pessimists. It's weird, cause this is an "out of nowhere" team (look back at my NFC East Title post - not a single eagles fan, including me, said "yes, this is definitely going to happen"), so you would think we'd be somewhat "happy go lucky" about it. We're not - i think this is it, at least for me, meaning if they don't at least make the SB, I may turn into one of those fans that will root, but in a depressing way, not an uplifting one.

I think I just wrote myself into nausea.

Great post and that pretty much hits the nail on the head for many Saints fans. :D

Boys , put your saints caps on proudly , stick your chest out and talk some confident smack ...this is an excellent saints team and one that should win this weekend ...they got to this point so enjoy it , embrace it and speak up ...take advantage of the position you are in and do not fear losing

truly ,

Temp saints fan who will be rooting hard for you all

+1

:D

I completely understand your point rocker and I felt the same way. I stayed away from the avi bet for fear of jinxing the game or bad kharma. Someone over at SR put it best today....

“Face it, we have to learn to be fans of a winning football team.”

I completely understand your point rocker and I felt the same way. I stayed away from the avi bet for fear of jinxing the game or bad kharma. Someone over at SR put it best today....

“Face it, we have to learn to be fans of a winning football team.”

I'll admit, I'm slowly starting to take baby steps in fully embracing this New Orleans team. As an example this Christmas I actually went out and bought my son a Saints cap as one of his gifts. Not sure he has worn it yet, but god as my witness one of us will be wearing it come Saturday night. :D

The difference between Philly fans and you guys is, we wear our EAGLES stuff win or lose, it's the team we have and we are diehard!

The difference between Philly fans and you guys is, we wear our EAGLES stuff win or lose, it's the team we have and we are diehard!

I've actually never met a Saints fan who wouldn't wear their Saints gear or openly declare themselves a fan. I've always pretty much felt the same about my Saints. The real difference now though is I don't have to expect the abuse when I do. :D

I've actually never met a Saints fan who wouldn't wear their Saints gear or openly declare themselves a fan. I've always pretty much felt the same about my Saints. The real difference now though is I don't have to expect the abuse when I do. :D

I was responding to Rocker not you Raj, I expect you to be a real fan of your team.

TBimm, you need to back your team, in the bet.

The only people I know who have worn Saints gear in public prior to this season are indeed true Naw'orlens yaks that never attended LSU and could care less about the Tigers. :D

Funny. I remember when I was 12 or 13, out in the yard with a buddy of mine, and my Dad came outside and said "Hey Darin, the Saints just scored!". I guess they were playing the Rams (when they were in L.A.) and the game had gone back and forth like a heavyweight fight. Anyways, my buddy laughed at me (well, I guess he really was poking fun at my Dad :D ) for the random-ness of that statement. Like "who cares?". I grew up associating the :bash: with the Saints (err, the "Aints"). They were a complete joke.

Then I saw these "complete jokes" roll into my Bears' Soldier Field on a blustery Sunday night. It was Coach Ditka's first return to Soldier Field as the head coach for the Aints. The Aints were horrible (as per the norm) that year, but the Bears were downright horrible I remember Da Bears were up for most of the game, but the Aints came back (behind Billy Joe Hobert, and Keith Poole - who had the game of his life) to win. [Just looked up on Pro Football Reference - it was Week 6 of 1997, Saints won 20-17].

What the heck? The Saints were the source of my Dad gettin' clowned by my buddy... The Saints clowned my Bears at home (don't get to see the Bears live much)... Who are these black n' gold morans?

Fast forward to 2004. I met a transplanted Cajun girl in my native Orange County. We date, get serious, and the rest is history. I've been back to Louisiana several times (Christmases, class reunions, etc.) and each time I am impressed with the "family atmosphere" the entire region has. I was completely devastated watching the images of Hurricane Katrina on my TV screen. I got to know a Baton Rouge Huddler pretty well. Solid people, up and down. The people of New Orleans deserve to "be here", NFL-wise and just for karma's sake.

Watching the Saints' return to the Superdome against the overrated Falcons was simply awesome this past September. I don't mind saying that it literally made me misty-eyed, even sitting in a sports bar.

I am a Bear fan, through-and-through. But believe me, if the Saints make it past the upstart Eagles this week, it will be with a heavy heart that I root against the Fleur-de-Lis when the Bears play host. Should the (S)aints make it out of Chicago alive, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will don my Saints t-shirt ( :D ... What can I say, it was a Christmas gift) and root for them to hoist the big silver football.

Geaux Saints (sorta)!!!

I was reading a book about the Red Sox (by Bill Simmons, ESPN Page 2 columnist). He stated the '86 series was when Sox fans went from "cautiously hoping for the best to always expecting the worst".

I defintely grew up with a "How are they going to F this one up?" attitude as a Sox fan.