[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk knives

Big Country

So, what do those of you in the know reccomend as far as knives go.

A. Standard run of the mill home set. I am fine here with the basic knife set.. Ithink from Sharper Image.

B. Looking for a nice all-purpose knife. I think the brand I was looking at about a year back was Wusthof, not 100% sure if that is the right name. It was basically the 7 or 9 inch blade, in the Japanese style (forget the name off hand, basically a chef's knife, but not pointed at the end)

At work right now so I can't really do the web search to find the name.

Anyway, just curious what sorts of knoves you chef's use for your work, and then alternatively what you would reccomend for us at home wannabe chefs. Perhaps a couple options in varying proce ranges.

Appreciate any input.

Man, just like everything else in the world, the good stuff doesn't come cheap.

Yeah, no kidding.

i own the henckels.. use them at work and at home. best value might be the wustoff grand prix II

So what do you guys suggest in a much, much lower price range?

We currently have these and these on our wedding registry. I'll obviously remove one...

Either of those look good? :D

Or, in your opinion, do any of these look like good values?

TIA.

I saw that one, too. The dude at the store said it was rather new and they had little to no feedback on it yet. What are your impressions thus far?

only used them a couple times, but they seem great so far. the guy at our store said they were one of the best values in the store. same exact steel as the other calphalon sets at half (or less) the price.

I'd like to know which knife is the best for slicing a block of cheese without having the cheese slices stick to the blade.

something like E are my favorite (2 handles). the other thing you can do is emerse your knife in very hot water before every slice.

Yeah, no kidding.

So what do you guys suggest in a much, much lower price range?

We currently have these and these on our wedding registry. I'll obviously remove one...

Either of those look good? :D

Or, in your opinion, do any of these look like good values?

TIA.

i tend to like henckels and wustoff, but i don't see anything wrogn with those cuisinart (i just do not know a lot about them). i think you would be fine with either of the first 2 sets you are looking at...my only concern are the handles..... i find that that type tends to get pretty slippery

i tend to like henckels and wustoff, but i don't see anything wrogn with those cuisinart (i just do not know a lot about them). i think you would be fine with either of the first 2 sets you are looking at...my only concern are the handles..... i find that that type tends to get pretty slippery

What kind of handles do you suggest?

How does the set Az linked to compare to the Cuisinart and Henckels?

Would you suggest forgoing getting one of these three in lieu of purchasing elsewhere?

Thanks Bier! :D

Would you suggest forgoing getting one of these three in lieu of purchasing elsewhere?

maybe i should make bier come over and whip something up with my knives so he can give you a fully informed opinion :D

i like the stainless, but there are some other good ones too... i find that when the plastic handles get wet, they feel unsafe to me. as far as blades are concerned i think you are fine with the 2 you posted and the one az posted. when you get a chance, go to the store and see how different lines feel in your hand.

it's a lot like a baseball mit... you start getting preferences based on what you use.

and az.... would love to make dinner sometime...... i am off on mondays and tuesdays (though headign to the mountains this week).

My folks bought us a set of Henckles for Christmas a few years ago and I wish they hadn't. I can never go back to "regular" knives. They are freakin' sweet! Ours have hard black handles that are extremely dense and feel like my bone-handled hunting knives. I don't know what it is, but me likee. :D

I've got a set of Wusthof Grand Prix II in my kitchen, but I certainly did not buy it as a set. Actually, I got quite a few of them off ebay brand new for half the price. I found the block to buy and was able to fill it with knives that I will actually use, instead of having a set of which I will only use some of and still need additionals.

My 2 santaku knives are both hollow edge, my chef's knives are not. If I was going to do it again, I'd go the same route.

I was cruzing around Cosco today and saw these:

COSCO

These seem to be the same knives that Bier linked to... Bier do you think this is a good deal??? :D

i think it's a good deal. different kinfe than what i linked to though. those look like the slippery handled ones.