[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some Fondu help-Please.

PantherDave

Mrs.PD and I are going to fondu tonight, and we would like to re-create the broth used at fondu resturaunts. I can remember veg or chicked broth, some type of red wine, maybe so minced garlic etc. If anyone has the recipe handy it would be appreciated, as we don't want to use oil-thanks PD.

Mrs.PD and I are going to fondu tonight, and we would like to re-create the broth used at fondu resturaunts. I can remember veg or chicked broth, some type of red wine, maybe so minced garlic etc. If anyone has the recipe handy it would be appreciated, as we don't want to use oil-thanks PD.

Sorry..no exact recipe but here is what I use: Roasted Garlic

I roast heads of garlic with olive oil and rosemary, salt and pepper for about 45 minutes and then put it through a wire mesh or garlic press.

Chicken broth or beef broth....whichever you like.

Then, I'll add brandy. The alcohol helps get the temp up higher. With broth, you still don't want to overload the pots or the temp will drop too much but the brandy definitely helps.

Twiley should have some good info...I know we've used broth at his place before.

i haven't done the broth. i do great cheese and desert fondue, and make good sauces for fodue that uses oil....

i tend to burn off my alcohol first, before adding broth... i imagine for chicken/seafood ..... white wine, chicken broth, garlic and some herbs (thyme, tarragon, oregano, basil) would be a good combo. for meats .... red wine, beef broth, shallots, and herbs (thyme, sage, rosemary)

Edited by Bier Meister

Cool-Hey Beir, what is/a cheese fondu that uses white wine??

i've just known it as fondue. it's what i typically make.

use about 1 1/4 C dry white wine. throw in minced shallot. bring to a boil. add 5 oz of shreaded gruyere, 3 oz of shreaded appenzeller or emmantal, and 2 oz of large diced brie with rind removed.. melt. then add a slurry to thicken.

i use diced apples, pears, sausage, crispy potatoes, bread for dipping

use about 1 1/4 C dry white wine. throw in minced shallot. bring to a boil. add 5 oz of shreaded gruyere, 3 oz of shreaded appenzeller or emmantal, and 2 oz of large diced brie with rind removed.. melt. then add a slurry to thicken.

Thanks Beir!!! :D..whats a slurry.

Edited by PantherDave

a slurry is a thickening agent which uses cornstarch and liquid.... most often water.

for fondue i use about 4 tsp of lemon juice and about 3 tsp of cornstarch.

also..it is very common to crush a clove or two of garlic and rub it around the sides of the pot before putting anything in there.... and using a shot of kirsch in with the wine..... some use a pinch of nutmeg and some don't

a slurry is a thickening agent which uses cornstarch and liquid.... most often water.

for fondue i use about 4 tsp of lemon juice and about 3 tsp of cornstarch.

also..it is very common to crush a clove or two of garlic and rub it around the sides of the pot before putting anything in there.... and using a shot of kirsch in with the wine..... some use a pinch of nutmeg and some don't

I got that :D

what's kirsch?

A Swiss cherry liquor.

As for the broth in the fondue, my wife just uses broth without anything else for her "fondue chinoise" (pronounced "shinwah"). The main flavor comes from the various sauces that you put on the meat after you boil it in the broth.

I do almost the same thing but I always add smoked gouda as well.