[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marty MUST go!

McBoog

I want championships too, and I think Schottenheimer is capable of getitng one. I know he hasn't shown it yet, but, unlike others who are entitled to their opinion, I think he is very capable.

:D

Not many coaches win championships. Marty is a coach that perpetually puts his teams in a position to win one.

After Bill Belichick, Marty is one of the first coaches I would want to see coaching my home team.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A track record of never winning any big game. Never, not one? Remember, we want championships in this town. To quote an old coach" You are not in Cleveland"

Wow, you sound like the worst type of fan a team could have. Cowher is gone 1 week, you're already talking like he only won 1 big game his entire career instead of looking at the amazingly consistant winning teams he brought to Pittsburgh.

Shott is one of the best coaches in NFL history and has had horrible luck keep him from the Superbowl ("the drive", Earnest Byner fumbling on the 2 yrd line), not "choking".

Bill Cowher,

Mike Shannahan,

Mike Holmgren,

Andy Ried,

Tony Dungy,

Jeff Fisher

All these guys have a reputation when it comes to winning in the playoffs. Cowher got the monkey off his back last year. Sure Holmgren and Shanahan have won SBs, but since then their playoff success has been very limited. Andy Reid, Tony Dungy, and Jeff Fisher all have done nothing but lose in the playoffs.

How about Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs, who have both created doubts that the NFL might have passed them by.

Jon Gruden and Brian Billick have won SBs in the last several years, but have also had times when they have let their teams fall apart.

These are the guys that are some of the best coaches in the last 15-20 years, and Marty is as good or better at creating a strong team than any of them. I would except Cowher with that, but we will see how he does in his next venture. Marty is a top coach, and most NFL franchises would be lucky to have him. Detroit or Arizona would be geniuses to hire this guy.

I heard Adam Schefter (sp??) (NFL Network) saying about the same thing as MCboog in an interview this A.M. His main obstacle is the GM and some of the decisions he makes during the game... i.e. why not kick a 48 yard field goal instead of going for it on 4 and 10?

Marty is a d@mn good coach, and many good coaches have yet to win SB's and stumbled in the playoffs. Are you telling me Dungy, Cowher before he finally got his SB are not good coaches. Schottenheimer Id put ahead of Dungy for sure, and if he won his SB this yr, he would be on par with Cowher. Though a GM doesnt like him, so he should go. F*ck that, fire the GM.

Marty is a d@mn good coach, and many good coaches have yet to win SB's and stumbled in the playoffs. Are you telling me Dungy, Cowher before he finally got his SB are not good coaches. Schottenheimer Id put ahead of Dungy for sure, and if he won his SB this yr, he would be on par with Cowher. Though a GM doesnt like him, so he should go. F*ck that, fire the GM.

:D

:D:smash:

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

It's really amazing the Patriots pulled this one out.

Consider these tidbits from yesterday's "Elias Says" article on espn.com........

• Tom Brady improved his record as a postseason starter to 12-1 despite throwing three interceptions. Was it the most unlikely postseason victory in NFL history? Consider the following:

1. Brady had never before thrown more than two INTs in a postseason game, and the Patriots had lost all seven regular-season games in which he threw three or more.

2. Brady threw 51 passes in the Patriots' victory. Prior to New England's win, 26 teams had thrown at least 50 passes in a regulation-length postseason game and all 26 lost.

3. The Patriots' longest run was for seven yards by Kevin Faulk, snapping a 25-game losing streak by teams whose longest run in a postseason game was seven yards or less. The last team to win a playoff game under those circumstances was the Baltimore Colts in the 1959 NFL championship game against the Giants.

• The Patriots were the fourth team to overcome a deficit of more than 10 points on the road in a postseason victory over a team with the league's best regular-season record. The Chargers posted a 14-2 record during the 2006 season. The others (regular-season record in parentheses): Falcons over Vikings (15-1) in 1998; Jaguars over Broncos (13-3) in 1996; and Cowboys over Falcons (12-4) in 1980.

• Brady's first interception on Sunday snapped his streak of 147 postseason passes without an INT, dating back to Super Bowl XXXVIII in February 2004. There have been five postseason streaks of 140 or more passes without an INT, and Brady has recorded two of them.

• The Chargers led the Patriots 14-3 prior to New England's late first-half TD. Over his last 10 seasons as a head coach, Marty Schottenheimer's teams were 37-1 at home when they held a lead of more than 10 points (all in regular-season games). The loss was by the Chargers to the Seahawks in 2002.

It's really amazing the Patriots pulled this one out.

Consider these tidbits from yesterday's "Elias Says" article on espn.com........

• Tom Brady improved his record as a postseason starter to 12-1 despite throwing three interceptions. Was it the most unlikely postseason victory in NFL history? Consider the following:

1. Brady had never before thrown more than two INTs in a postseason game, and the Patriots had lost all seven regular-season games in which he threw three or more.

2. Brady threw 51 passes in the Patriots' victory. Prior to New England's win, 26 teams had thrown at least 50 passes in a regulation-length postseason game and all 26 lost.

3. The Patriots' longest run was for seven yards by Kevin Faulk, snapping a 25-game losing streak by teams whose longest run in a postseason game was seven yards or less. The last team to win a playoff game under those circumstances was the Baltimore Colts in the 1959 NFL championship game against the Giants.

• The Patriots were the fourth team to overcome a deficit of more than 10 points on the road in a postseason victory over a team with the league's best regular-season record. The Chargers posted a 14-2 record during the 2006 season. The others (regular-season record in parentheses): Falcons over Vikings (15-1) in 1998; Jaguars over Broncos (13-3) in 1996; and Cowboys over Falcons (12-4) in 1980.

• Brady's first interception on Sunday snapped his streak of 147 postseason passes without an INT, dating back to Super Bowl XXXVIII in February 2004. There have been five postseason streaks of 140 or more passes without an INT, and Brady has recorded two of them.

• The Chargers led the Patriots 14-3 prior to New England's late first-half TD. Over his last 10 seasons as a head coach, Marty Schottenheimer's teams were 37-1 at home when they held a lead of more than 10 points (all in regular-season games). The loss was by the Chargers to the Seahawks in 2002.

A day late and a dollar short... :D

blaming schottenheimer for that loss is just reactionary scapegoating at its finest. he made a couple bonehead decisions, but HE didn't lose that game, the TEAM did. this was a classic example of a savvy, veteran team that has won (and lost) a lot of big games together going up against an upstart phenom team playing in its first big do-or-die game and choking a bit. i'm not sure there is any way for a coach to "emotionally prepare" a team enough to completely deal with that kind of pressure for the first time. i think of the broncos in the late 90s and that great group that won back to back super bowls....in 1996, their first dominant regular season, they went 13-3 and clinched homefield throughout (after 8-8 the year before, shanahan's first as HC). they lost their first playoff game that year to jacksonville. it woulda been pretty stupid to fire shanahan because he didn't have the team "emotionally prepared".

Speaking of Cowher, didn't he have a reputation as a post-season loser before finally winning last year?

Tough call w/ Marty, he has a 20+ year record of teams that choke in the playoffs and losing with arguably the best overall teams.

This is probably the first yr Marty has had the best overall team. And even that isnt a given playing against Indy next weekend, with that Secondary.

Not sure about the team being "emotionally unprepared" BUT I do think Marty's time has come. He has taken them as far as he can, and they will never win a SB under Marty. He is a dinosaur, and needs to be put out to pasture. This team is too talented to have Marty running the ship with his playing not to lose philosophy. If I were a Bolts fan, I would want a change. Bill Simmons had a great article on this, these 65 year old coaches just are not gonna get it done. I think the NFL is becoming more of a young coaches game, as evidenced by most of the top coaches being failry young. Old-school, tough as nails, solid fundamental coach, but not gonna win the big one for ya.

I mean, the guy is 5-13 in the playoffs, he is what he is and is not changing now.

Not sure about the team being "emotionally unprepared" BUT I do think Marty's time has come. He has taken them as far as he can, and they will never win a SB under Marty. He is a dinosaur, and needs to be put out to pasture. This team is too talented to have Marty running the ship with his playing not to lose philosophy. If I were a Bolts fan, I would want a change. Bill Simmons had a great article on this, these 65 year old coaches just are not gonna get it done. I think the NFL is becoming more of a young coaches game, as evidenced by most of the top coaches being failry young. Old-school, tough as nails, solid fundamental coach, but not gonna win the big one for ya.

I mean, the guy is 5-13 in the playoffs, he is what he is and is not changing now.

Well, enjoy your new HC then...and your 5-11 record you will be sporting in 2010 :D

right...............this group of players going 5-11, solid call there.

:D People keep saying how the Chargers should 'learn from the past anf fire Marty because he can't win in the playoffs'.

The past tells us that teams that have fired marty have gotten universally worse, and have taken years to recover. I put more faith in a winning coach figuring out how to win in the playoffs than I do in blowing up coaching staffs that are successful to start over with an unknown...

:D People keep saying how the Chargers should 'learn from the past anf fire Marty because he can't win in the playoffs'.

The past tells us that teams that have fired marty have gotten universally worse, and have taken years to recover. I put more faith in a winning coach figuring out how to win in the playoffs than I do in blowing up coaching staffs that are successful to start over with an unknown...

Just curious is Bum Phillips still alive? :D

A dinosaur that just coached them to a 14-2 franchise best record. :D