[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How good are these Patriots?

Straight from patriots.com

RECORDING SUCCESS

The Patriots improved to 19-11 (.633) all-time in the playoffs, passing the Green Bay Packers to claim the best playoff winning percentage in NFL history (minimum 10 games). Of the team's 19 playoff wins, 15 have come since Robert Kraft purchased the club in 1994. Over that span, the Patriots lead the NFL in total victories (144), overall winning percentage (.631), Super Bowl championships (3), conference championships (4), playoff wins (15), playoff winning percentage (15-5, .750) and playoff games played (20). New England is also tied for the NFL lead since 1994 with nine playoff seasons.

BELICHICK IN THE PLAYOFFS

Bill Belichick improved his career playoff record to 13-2 (.867), a mark that ranks second in NFL history, trailing only Vince Lombardi's 9-1 (.900) career playoff mark. Belichick's 13 career playoff wins rank fifth all-time, trailing only Tom Landry (20), Don Shula (19), Joe Gibbs (17) and Chuck Noll (16). Belichick owns an 82-27 (.752) record since the beginning of the 2001 season, a mark that leads all NFL coaches over that span.

TOM TERRIFIC

Tom Brady improved his career playoff record to 12-1 (.923), improving on the best playoff record by any quarterback in NFL history. Additionally, Brady improved his career marks to…

26-4 in games decided by less than seven points (including 5-0 in playoff games)

20-2 in games played on Christmas or later in the NFL season

40-7 on in games played on Thanksgiving or later in the NFL season

GAME-WINNER FOR GOSTKOWSKI

Rookie kicker Stephen Gostkowski booted a 31-yard field goal with 1:10 remaining in the game to seal the victory for the Patriots. The game-winning field goal was the first of Gostkowski's career. Gostkowski was three-for-three on the afternoon, marking his second straight playoff game in which he was perfect on three field goals. He is a perfect six-for-six in his playoff career. Gostkowski connected from 50, 34 and 31 yards against San Diego, one week after hitting from 20, 20 and 28 yards in the Patriots' wild card round victory over the New York Jets.

CAPTAIN COMEBACK

Tom Brady orchestrated his 24th career game-winning performance to lead the Patriots to victory following a fourth-quarter deficit or tie. The game-winning performance was the sixth of his playoff career and his third in the divisional playoff round (the other three comebacks all came in Super Bowl play). New England faced a 21-13 deficit following LaDainian Tomlinson's 3-yard touchdown run with 8:35 left in the game. From there, Brady directed a 5-play, 32-yard touchdown drive that tied the game at 21 following a 2-point conversion with 4:36 left in the game. He then orchestrated the game-winning drive, an 8-play, 72-yard drive that ended in a 31-yard field goal by Stephen Gostkowski that gave the Patriots a 24-21 victory.

TROY BROWN FORCED FUMBLE

With 6:16 left in the game, following an interception, Troy Brown forced San Diego defender Marlon McCree to fumble and Reche Caldwell pounced on the loose ball to return possession back to the Patriots. On a play where the Patriots went for a first down on fourth-and-five from the Chargers' 41-yard line Brown reached in and stripped the ball from McCree, prolonging a drive that ended in a 4-yard touchdown pass from Tom Brady to Caldwell.

RECHE CALDWELL

Reche Caldwell caught seven passes for 80 yards against his old team, including three big plays in the fourth quarter, recovering a fumble to set up his 4-yard touchdown catch that tied the score following a 2-point conversion and then hauling in a 49-yard reception on the Patriots' game-winning drive that ended in Stephen Gostkowski's 31-yard field goal. Caldwell played for the Chargers for four seasons from 2002-05.

JABAR GAFFNEY

Wide receiver Jabar Gaffney caught 10 passes for 103 yards and a touchdown, giving him two 100-yard games in two career playoff contests. Gaffney's 10 receptions are tied for the second highest total in Patriots playoff history, trailing only Deion Branch's 11 catches in Super Bowl XXXIX. Four of Gaffney's 10 catches came on New England's 11-play, 72-yard drive in the final two minutes of the first half that ended in his 6-yard touchdown catch – the first of his playoff career. In two career playoff games, Gaffney has recorded 18 receptions for 207 yards and a touchdown.

TWO-POINT CONVERSION

Kevin Faulk tied the game at 21 on a 2-point conversion run with 2:51 left in the game. Faulk's run came on a direct snap from center Dan Koppen, and was the second 2-point conversion run of his playoff career. Faulk also converted a 2-point try in Super Bowl XXXVIII, taking a direct snap and running into the end zone with 2:51 left in the game to give the Patriots a 29-22 lead.

ASANTE SAMUEL

Asante Samuel batted down a pass intended for Eric Parker with 3:42 left in a 21-21 game on third-and-five from San Diego's own 34-yard line. San Diego was forced to punt on the next play, setting up New England's 8-play, 72-yard game-winning drive that ended in Stephen Gostkowski's game-winning field goal.

TWO-MINUTE DRILL

The Patriots drove 72 yards on 11 plays in 1:56 of clock time to close the San Diego lead to 14-10 with eight seconds left in the first half. New England got the ball with 2:04 remaining in the half and scored on a 6-yard touchdown pass from Tom Brady to Jabar Gaffney. Gaffney caught four passes for a total of 46 yards on the drive and scored his first career playoff touchdown. Last week against the New York Jets, Gaffney made his playoff debut and led the team with eight catches for 108 yards. Today's game was the second straight playoff game in which the Patriots scored a touchdown in the final seconds of the first half. Last week against the New York Jets, Brady found Daniel Graham for a 1-yard touchdown with 11 seconds left in the first half.

SPECIAL PLAY

David Thomas recovered a muffed punt by San Diego's Eric Parker to give the Patriots possession at the Chargers' 31-yard line in the third quarter with the Patriots trailing 14-10. After Parker muffed the ball, the Patriots' Antwain Spann knocked the ball away from him and prevented Parker from recovering the loose ball. Thomas came out of the ensuing scrum with the football, setting up a 34-yard field goal by Stephen Gostkowski that cut the Chargers' lead to 14-13.

COMING UP ROSES

Rosevelt Colvin intercepted a Philip Rivers pass intended for LaDainian Tomlinson at the Patriots' 37-yard line on the final play of the third quarter. Rivers attempted to float the ball over Colvin's head, but the New England linebacker jumped, tipped the ball to himself and secured possession. The interception was the first of Colvin's playoff career and was his first interception since the 2001 regular-season finale, when he recorded an interception against the Jacksonville Jaguars while playing for the Chicago Bears. In his regular season career, Colvin has recorded two interceptions, both during the 2001 season. Today's interception marked Colvin's second big play in the passing game during this season's playoffs. Last week against the New York Jets, Colvin batted down a backwards pass by Chad Pennington, forcing a fumble that was recovered by New England's Vince Wilfork.

VRABEL STRIP-SACK

Mike Vrabel came up with a strip-sack of Philip Rivers on fourth-and-11 at the Patriots' 30-yard line in the first quarter. Vrabel sacked Rivers for a 5-yard loss on the play and forced him to fumble. The loose ball was recovered by Tully Banta-Cain at the Patriots' own 35-yard line, setting up a drive that ended in a 50-yard field goal by Stephen Gostkowski and a 3-0 Patriots lead. In the 2006 regular season, Vrabel recorded three strip-sacks – at Buffalo (10/22), at Green Bay (11/12) and at Tennessee (12/31). Today's strip-sack was the fourth of Vrabel's 15-game playoff career. He also recorded strip-sacks of Peyton Manning in the 2004 AFC divisional playoffs (1/16/05), of Jake Delhomme in Super Bowl XXXVIII (2/1/04) and of Drew Bledsoe while playing for the Steelers against the Patriots in the 1997 AFC divisional playoffs (1/3/98).

LONGEST PLAYOFF FIELD GOAL

Stephen Gostkowski nailed a 50-yard field goal in the first quarter to give the Patriots a 3-0 lead. The 50-yard field goal was the longest in New England's 30-game playoff history, topping the previous mark of 48 yards, achieved by Adam Vinatieri in Super Bowl XXXVI (2/3/02) and also in the 2004 AFC Championship Game (1/23/05). Entering today, the Patriots had attempted two field goals of 50 yards or longer in their playoff history and had been unsuccessful on both tries. Gostkowski nailed his only field goal attempt of 50 yards or longer in the 2006 regular season, nailing a 52-yard field goal against Chicago (11/26/06) that was the franchise's longest field goal in four years and was the longest field goal converted by the Patriots in the history of Gillette Stadium.

FIRST TO SCORE

The Patriots booted a first-quarter field goal to take a 3-0 lead, marking the ninth time that they have scored first in their last 10 playoff games. The only playoff game in their last 10 in which the Patriots did not score first was Super Bowl XXXIX, when Philadelphia took a 7-0 lead in a game New England won, 24-21. The Patriots scored first in 10 of 16 regular-season games in 2006.

STARTING STRONG

The Patriots defense held the Chargers to a punt on their opening drive of the game. Since Bill Belichick became head coach of the Patriots, New England has not allowed opponents to score on an opening drive in the playoffs. In 13 games (including today), Belichick's Patriots have forced 11 punts and recorded two interceptions on opponents' opening drives in the playoffs.

INTERCEPTION-FREE STREAK BROKEN

The second-quarter interception of Tom Brady by the Chargers' Donnie Edwards ended Brady's string of 169 attempts without an interception, a streak that dated back to a Dec. 3 game against Detroit. The Patriots' team record (regular-season only) for consecutive attempts without an interception is 179, achieved by Drew Bledsoe from Oct. 23, 1995 to Nov. 26, 1995. Brady entered today's game as the NFL's all-time leader for the lowest playoff interception percentage, throwing five interceptions on 401 attempts (1.25 percent).

QUICK HITS

Chad Scott made a nice open-field tackle on Antonio Gates to stop him for a three-yard gain on third-and-seven during the Chargers' first drive of the game. Scott's tackle stopped Gates short of a first down and forced a San Diego punt on the next play. On San Diego's second drive of the game, Scott reached in to bat away a pass to Gates on third-and-10, forcing another San Diego punt on the following play.

Ellis Hobbs made a leaping knockdown at the goal line of a deep Philip Rivers pass intended for Eric Parker on third-and-11 in the first quarter. The knockdown saved what seemed to be a sure Chargers touchdown and set up a fourth-down attempt by the Chargers that ended in a strip-sack of Rivers by Mike Vrabel. In the second quarter, Hobbs broke up a pass from Rivers intended for Antonio Gates at the 2-yard line, saving another potential touchdown on a play that was originally ruled a fumble and reversed on an instant replay review.

Artrell Hawkins sacked Philip Rivers for an 11-yard loss on a blindside hit on third-and-seven in the second quarter, forcing a San Diego punt on the next play. The sack was the first of Hawkins' four-game playoff career. Hawkins has recorded four sacks in 122 career regular season games.

James Sanders sacked Philip Rivers at the Patriots' 38-yard line for a 10-yard loss on third-and-17 in the third quarter, helping to take the Chargers out of field goal range and forcing a San Diego punt on the next play.

Heath Evans recorded three special teams tackles in the first half, including a big hit on Michael Turner on the opening kickoff of the game.

Edited by AllThingsBillBelichick

They're pretty good! I'll admit that I didnt read half of your post cause I really dont care for the pats. Do I respect them? Sure as hell do.. Do I like them? Nope.. They've always been in the way of Indy getting it done. Will the Colts finally get past them this year? I hope so. It helps tremendously that this game is being played in Indy. Is it a lock? Not by any means. Brady and Belichick have some sort of postseason mystique. They get there and then become a completely different team. Would I consider this team a dynasty? Personally I would not. IF they are able to complete the task again this year and get their 4th in 6 years, then yes, I would put them in the dynasty category. Anyway, before this gets heated, I would like to congradulate you and your team for putting on a hell of a show today. It's a case of being outplayed, but the inexperience and overconfidence of the Chargers and their fans that have them still sniffling and wiping their tears away cause they beat themselves. For us Colts fans, we love it! All day I was a Pats fan. All the way up until Keading missed his 54 yrd FG attempt. When he missed it, I raised my arms in the air and then shouted, "Finally, F' the Patriots!!" Oh well.. What more can I say? It will be a hell of a game, and may the better team win. I'm sure they will both make mistakes, but obviously the team that can overcome them will be playing for the ring. Anyway, good luck!!!

All i'm saying is careful what you wish for.

BTW, Brady is undefeated in any Dome.

I'm just wishing for a Colts victory. Yes, I am bias, but the Colts really are the team that are hot and got that way at the right time. I mean we finished the season losing a helluva lot of games that we shouldn't have. When it was happening, I thought again, 1-and-done...

But like everyone else, they surprised the crap out of me when they held LJ in check. And then to win a defensive battle against the league's best D. I may be speaking a little too early, but can we say Bob Sanders as the postseason MVP???

The dude was hurt all year, and he makes his comeback for the playoffs and all the sudden it looks as if the Colts finally do have that dominant D. I'm not getting overcinfident, but more surprised than anything. Even if Manning can get just 1 ring for his entire career, it (his career) will have been a huge success!!

As in past years, the Pats will be plenty good enough to beat the Colts. I also think that they have the ability to game plan enough to make Rex Grossman choke if the Bears get through.

Yeah, like that's real hard to do. 5 teams have already exposed Grossman this year, including the Pats.