[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leave your pom pomss at the door

Caveman_Nick

Great post...except for the last part. And there isn't anything wrong with that part, except that there's going to have to be a lot of selling to convince folks that Indy should be the underdog.

Yeah, that's true. And I hate to sound like one of the momos from ESPN, but it's difficult to bet against Blelichick and Brady in the playoffs... especially when they still have a pretty solid defense.

In many people's eyes, Baltimore was the strongest team heading into the playoffs. The Colts accomplishment of getting past them is tremendous. Both teams accomplishments this weekend are tremendous, really. I also think that the most recent games between the Colts and the Pats are the ones that are the most important. I believe the Colts have won the last 2.

I'm really hoping that this game is this decade's equivalent of the '94 NFC Championship Game, where Steve Young finally "got the [Cowboys] monkey off his back." But regardless of who comes out on top, this is going to be a phenominal game from a fan of the game's standpoint - one that I'm betting we'll see on NFL Films for years to come. Games like this are what makes the NFL great.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I earned some serious money last weekend taking the Patriots over the Chargers. Even though the Chargers have vastly superior talent than the Patriots at almost every position other than quarterback, I figured the Patriots playoff experience and the Chargers relative lack thereof would be the difference. And the Chargers dropping balls left and right and generally tripping over their own dicks proved me right and brought in a nice payday.

That said, the Patriots magic carpet ride is over. Forever. Done. Stick a fork in 'em.

They are now facing a team in the Colts that has far superior talent and (finally) has sufficient playoff experience to beat them. The Colts have played a couple of bad playoff games now, and yet they've won. Their offense has played nowhere near it's potential, and yet they'e won. Their defense has played well without sophisticated schemes or doing anything tricky, all they've done is tackled and tackled well. New England doesn't have the offensive firepower to expose the Colts. New England has lived on smoke and mirrors and tuck rules and fumbled punts and fumbled interceptions and and stupid penalties and missed field goals and dumb coaching decisions by the opposition long enough. This week they simply get outclassed and outplayed. It might be close at halftime, it won't be when all's said and done. Colts 38-17.

Oh, and just in case it matters, the Colts now have Vinatieri, Mr. Money. That could end up being the best investment the Colts made in the offseason.

People are really sleeping on the Bears.

First off, there are people pointing to the lack of competition the Bears have played this year. YET, if you look systematically at who New Orleans has beaten, you will only find the overrated Cowboys and Giants on that list along with Philly. So lets stop the "Bears havent beaten anyone all year, they're overrated" while ignoring the lack of quality wins on the Saints side. When the Saints lost to the Bengals and Ravens, they were barely in the game. Oh, their record vs top 10 defenses this year? 0-5

Secondly, this is the type of secondary Rex can have some success with. The back four of the Saints are getting older, and Philly had success throwing the ball against New Orleans. Look for Berrian to get a long catch this week.

Thirdly, last I checked, the Eagles and Westbrook still accumulated over 120 yards rushing against the Saints. The Bears will have success on the ground, and they will try to control the TOP. The Saints were in the bottom tenth of the league in rush defense.

Lastly, people point to the loss of Harris and Brown (damaging and not devastating), but dont mention how good their CBs really are. Vasher is a top 5-7 cornerback in the league, Tillman is a nice 2 guy, and Manning is a great 3rd CB. Everyone assumes Brees will throw for 300 yards and have his way, yet stats suggest that the Bears allow 190 yards passing, and Hasselbeck couldnt make the big plays in the 4th when he needed them. Tillman has the size and speed to stick with the bigger Colston, and Vasher usually locks down whoever is on his side. Think it coincidental that Tillman was thrown against much of the Seahawk game? Not because he's terrible, but because teams would rather take their chances with Tillman than Vasher.

Add in the fact that Urlacher and Briggs have the ability to make plays when they need to, and I dont see another 200 yards rushing by the Saints, especially vs the Bears front 7. The Seahawks gained about 40% of their runs on draws in passing situations. And since when is allowing only 100 yards to the NFL MVP of last season who had torched the Chargers for 140 this year such a "telling" stat?

The Bears have the most scrutinized team in the NFL this season for no real reason other than their record and gap between them and the NFC. Are they a perfect team? Absolutely not. Are the others? Not even close. When Rex plays well (and Sunday, he played WELL), they are as balanced as any of the three other teams remaining. They play solid D that makes plays when they need to, can run and throw (nearly 400 yards vs the Seahawks), and have the playoff's remaining X factor in Devin Hester. Dont forget. The Bears were close to winning that game in the 31-17 range if: Tillman didnt drop a gimme INT TD on the 2nd play of the first drive for Seattle; Moose doesnt drop a pass in his shoulder/chest area; Berrian comes up with the slightly thrown behind him ball; and Hester's TD stands.

I think the Saints are a GREAT GREAT story. The Bears are the better overall team. Chicago wins 31-24.

Edited by PINTO

maybe some analysis later in the week- I htink Indy gets it done this year, and I think NO, is clearly better than Chicago- and I think they take care of biz in Soldier Field.

Indy/NE- wow, should be a helluva ballgame

+1