[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any one else hoping for a Bears win

T-Scorp

First of all, I have nothing but empathy for the victims of Katrina. This is not an anti Katrina victim slant.

That being said you know that if the Saints make it to Miami we will be subjected to countless feel good stories of how victims have been given hope and courage by the Saints making it to the Superbowl. While it is a great thing for the Saints to go from 3-13 to the SB in one year I would think many people devasted by the hurricane have a lot more on their minds than a football team/game.

While the two weeks of Superbowl media hype is usually full of fluff pieces this year could be even more over the top. ( the silver lining may be that the rest of the country will realize there is still a lot to be done )

I feel for the AFC rep if NO does make it as the media hype machine will be fully behind the Saints so they can have their feel good stories! If it is the Patriots it will be David versus Goliath, Cinderella versus the Evil Step Mom. If it is the Colts we will get the Son versus the Dad's old team..... Pick your poison!

If the Patriots were to beat the Saints they may become the mosted hated team in the country!!!!

I for one am cheering for the Bears!!

Nope. I'm pulling for NO or IND to win it this year. NO because I like Payton and think he has done a marvellous job and am seriously impressed with Brees' return from his shoulder injury. IND because I like almost all the Indy coaches/players.

I don't have a horse in this race so I won't feel great joy or grief either way. I like the Pats I think that organization has it going on and Tom Brady seems like a good guy to me with lots of talent that came out of no where. Having said that, I'd kinda like to see one of the other 3 teams win as NE has had a nice run in recent years.

Saints ...want to see an exciting superbowl and the bears do not offer that in my opinion

Saints are the cinnderella story and a fun team to watch ...will be rooting for them

I'm sorry the super bowl isn't in New Orleans. :D

Try and tune the stories out.

Frankly, no matter which teams make the SB the media will find stories/plot lines to drive into the ground...that's just what it does.

Man I hate the two weeks between the Championship games and the SB :D

I think that Saints making the Super Bowl a year after Katrina would be one of the best sports stories of the past 5-10 years. It would be absolutely remarkable.

I fail to see the connection between a hurricane disaster and a football team. I'm sure all the forgotten homeless people will be so happy if the Saints win anything. :D

I'll let the people of the gulf region decide what is in their own best interests (and seeing as how I haven't seen any Saints fans here hoping that their team loses so that they can go back to concentrating on rebuilding their lives, I think it is safe to say that the Saints making it to the Superbowl would add some happiness to their lives).

As for the "forgotten homeless people", it seems like they will be a little bit less forgotten if the Saints win. The more that happens to keep them in the public's eye, the better.

There are two weeks between the conference championships and the superbowl. Trust me - there will be rampant hype regardless who goes. At least with the Saints it is a story of overcoming disaster and truly "rags to riches" (it's all very american really). There's been a ton already said about Katrina - it will have been 17 or 18 months since it happened so it's not like it is nearly so topical as what the Saints football team did this year.

Of the 4 teams vying for the superbowl, NO is the one I would most prefer to hear the media fawn over. By far.

IF the media has any say, it will be NO/IND....that's the best story line.

Getting quotes from the Bears and the Patsies would be brutally boring.

Tank Johnson will probably get so pissed off with it he'll shoot a couple of reporters.

I'll let the people of the gulf region decide what is in their own best interests (and seeing as how I haven't seen any Saints fans here hoping that their team loses so that they can go back to concentrating on rebuilding their lives, I think it is safe to say that the Saints making it to the Superbowl would add some happiness to their lives).

As for the "forgotten homeless people", it seems like they will be a little bit less forgotten if the Saints win. The more that happens to keep them in the public's eye, the better.

I agree that keeping NO in the public eye is a good thing, if something comes of it. Maybe if they win it all they will toss that "mayor" :D out and put in Duece or Drew Brees. They can't do any worse of a job.

Edited by SNOWBOUND33

First of all, I have nothing but empathy for the victims of Katrina. This is not an anti Katrina victim slant.

That being said you know that if the Saints make it to Miami we will be subjected to countless feel good stories of how victims have been given hope and courage by the Saints making it to the Superbowl. While it is a great thing for the Saints to go from 3-13 to the SB in one year I would think many people devasted by the hurricane have a lot more on their minds than a football team/game.

While the two weeks of Superbowl media hype is usually full of fluff pieces this year could be even more over the top. ( the silver lining may be that the rest of the country will realize there is still a lot to be done )

I feel for the AFC rep if NO does make it as the media hype machine will be fully behind the Saints so they can have their feel good stories! If it is the Patriots it will be David versus Goliath, Cinderella versus the Evil Step Mom. If it is the Colts we will get the Son versus the Dad's old team..... Pick your poison!

If the Patriots were to beat the Saints they may become the mosted hated team in the country!!!!

Nope...

So far I have heard more about the story by reading posts like this one. The people that don' want to hear about it are the ones bringing it up...lol.

Agree. Terrible tragedy but sick beyond belief of hearing about it.

No you don't, and yes it is.

The gulf region is far from back to where it was pre-Katrina. Since the media has not chosen to emphasize this beyond the occasional story about crimewaves in New Orleans and the Saints games, I don't have much of a problem with it. Primarily because it brings attention to something quite a bit more important than Peyton Manning knobjobs, Patriots/Greatest Team Ever stories and rehashes of the Super Bowl Shuffle.

If there are any residents of the NO area in this thread, how much do you perceive the Saints in helping the community rebuild? Obviously since you are here there may be some football bias, but do you think that things would be the way they were if the Saints had moved away and there wasn't a football team in the area?

I think it's a feel good story. I've been routing for the Saints throughout the season not because of Katrina, but because they were the underdogs coming into the season as well as I'm a Brees fan. I think that they did a great job this season and will be cheering for them in the playoffs as well.

No you don't, and yes it is.

The gulf region is far from back to where it was pre-Katrina. Since the media has not chosen to emphasize this beyond the occasional story about crimewaves in New Orleans and the Saints games, I don't have much of a problem with it. Primarily because it brings attention to something quite a bit more important than Peyton Manning knobjobs, Patriots/Greatest Team Ever stories and rehashes of the Super Bowl Shuffle.

When I say I have empathy I do :D When I state that it is not an anti Katrina victim slant, I mean it :bash:

I started this topic to get the opinion of others as to if the media hype during the two week SB period would affect their preference for which team(s) made it to the SB.

I have my opinion you have yours. Your answer was what I was looking for sans the personal attack and the negative slur of Peyton. :D

Edited by T-Scorp