[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Something to consider

Caveman_Nick

I had several discussions last week with friends and colleagues regarding the Pats/Chargers game. It was a tough game to call, but I liked the Patriots since the beginning of the playoffs if this match-up were to happen. I couldn't put my finger on why until this past Friday.

What is came down to was that I could not recall a single game in the run that these Patriots have had since 2001 in which they played well and still lost.

You know, sometimes you see games in which both teams play their hearts out (like the Seattle/Chicago game or the Philly New Orleans game), and then at the end of the game the best team won. Both teams left it all on the field, and you know that the winner deserved it.

I just can't remember watching a game in which the Pats 'left it all on the field' and lost.

Now, I do have concerns about the way Tom Brady is playing, and the lack of a running game in the last game. I have concerns about the way the Colts defense has stepped up in the last 2 games, and the way Joe Addai has stepped it up. I have concernes that the Colts are winning and Manning is playing poorly. What if he snaps out of it?

With how well the Colts are playing at home, previously mentioned factors, and the addition of Adam 'I never miss in the RCA Dome' Vinatieri ( :D ), it looks bad for New England. I am actually surprised that the line on the game is only 3.5. I'm looking for it to be at least 5 when the ball is snapped.

In the end, though, I have to put my eggs in the basket that reads 'The Patriots will play well, and therefore will win'. All other things aside, that is the one truth of this run. Call it smoke and mirrors, say it's only because they actually take the time to tackle well, call it whatever you like. I just have faith that they will get it done.

What is came down to was that I could not recall a single game in the run that these Patriots have had since 2001 in which they played well and still lost.

But can't you say that about most quality teams that have a recent history of winning most games. For example the games that the Colts lost this year, it was because subpar performances or stupid mistakes. The stupid mistakes, not going with LT that had been working so well for the Chargers, and many missed opportunities cost them the game. The 3 games that the Bears loss were either blow outs or Grossman turned in really bad performances. The Ravens played well but their 3 loses when the team wasn't clicking.

Good teams, when they play well, typically win. Average teams, when they play well, sometimes win, sometimes lose. Hopefully, if the playoff system works, the average teams are either playing their best or they get eliminated early.

Good teams, when they play well, typically win. Average teams, when they play well, sometimes win, sometimes lose. Hopefully, if the playoff system works, the average teams are either playing their best or they get eliminated early.

I'm not disagreeing, but I am saying that the Patriots just keep doing it, and doing it in the playoffs.

It's a reason to have faith when everyone tells you that you are going to get your butt whooped.

See Exhibit A:

If I was a Pats fan, Id be very concerned. They stole a W from SD, and I dont see them doing that again this Sunday

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Stealing would mean they didn't deserve the win....they took the game from SD, big difference.

Um, if Troy brown doesnt strip that INT thrown by Brady, this game is over. And after watching that game, do you seriously believe NE deserved to win that game. They were outplayed in ever sense of the word, only 2 huge mistakes by the Chargers gave them a chance to win. Im sorry, but the better team did not win, and the Pats played probably their worst playoff game in 5 yrs, and somehow left town with a W. That wont be the case this weekend. The Pats are going to get their ass handed to them.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Stealing would mean they didn't deserve the win....they took the game from SD, big difference.

Actually, SD handed it to them. They took advantage of the gift by making a couple fewer mistakes. SD appeared to dominate the game all day long and it kept seeming like the dam would break. If the Pats hadn't outlasted the Chargers, then I'd have gone for the Chargers the rest of the way.

Um, if Troy brown doesnt strip that INT thrown by Brady, this game is over. And after watching that game, do you seriously believe NE deserved to win that game. They were outplayed in ever sense of the word, only 2 huge mistakes by the Chargers gave them a chance to win. Im sorry, but the better team did not win, and the Pats played probably their worst playoff game in 5 yrs, and somehow left town with a W. That wont be the case this weekend. The Pats are going to get their ass handed to them.

Thank you for making my point. That was a great football play by Brown. Not too many WR's make that play, do you think Harrison or Wayne do??? I think they sulk and go to the sideline to hang their head. The great teams win when they don't play well, they step it up when it counts. SD made some dumb mistakes and the Pats took advantage of them and TOOK the game! Manning and the Colts have yet to be able to do that to the Pats and I assure you that you'll see that again this weekend.

I had several discussions last week with friends and colleagues regarding the Pats/Chargers game. It was a tough game to call, but I liked the Patriots since the beginning of the playoffs if this match-up were to happen. I couldn't put my finger on why until this past Friday.

You know, sometimes you see games in which both teams play their hearts out (like the Seattle/Chicago game or the Philly New Orleans game), and then at the end of the game the best team won. Both teams left it all on the field, and you know that the winner deserved it.

I just can't remember watching a game in which the Pats 'left it all on the field' and lost.

Now, I do have concerns about the way Tom Brady is playing, and the lack of a running game in the last game. I have concerns about the way the Colts defense has stepped up in the last 2 games, and the way Joe Addai has stepped it up. I have concernes that the Colts are winning and Manning is playing poorly. What if he snaps out of it?

With how well the Colts are playing at home, previously mentioned factors, and the addition of Adam 'I never miss in the RCA Dome' Vinatieri ( :D ), it looks bad for New England. I am actually surprised that the line on the game is only 3.5. I'm looking for it to be at least 5 when the ball is snapped.

In the end, though, I have to put my eggs in the basket that reads 'The Patriots will play well, and therefore will win'. All other things aside, that is the one truth of this run. Call it smoke and mirrors, say it's only because they actually take the time to tackle well, call it whatever you like. I just have faith that they will get it done.

Interesting analysis.

My buddy asked me, "How in the heck did we whin that one?".......my reply........Heart :D

Interesting analysis.

My buddy asked me, "How in the heck did we whin that one?".......my reply........Heart :D

And I'm not saying 'The Pats played well' for this past weekend, although I will say that they played enough. I am just saying that I believe they will play well, and that's enough for me.

If I was a Pats fan, Id be very concerned. They stole a W from SD, and I dont see them doing that again this Sunday

:D

Peyton has played poorly this year in the playoffs. Peyton has played poorly in previous year's playoffs.

He knows this may very well be his last shot.

Thank you for making my point. That was a great football play by Brown. Not too many WR's make that play, do you think Harrison or Wayne do??? I think they sulk and go to the sideline to hang their head. The great teams win when they don't play well, they step it up when it counts. SD made some dumb mistakes and the Pats took advantage of them and TOOK the game! Manning and the Colts have yet to be able to do that to the Pats and I assure you that you'll see that again this weekend.

The Pats are going down faster than a 2 dollar whore on Bourbon St. Troy Brown has actually played defense in this league, you think Caldwell or Gaffney make that play, hell no. Right place at the right time. Unfortunate chain of events for SD. If the DB was smart he takes a knee right there after the pick, and its a moot point, regardless of what NE does from then on out. But his stupidity gave NE new life. Because without that new life, its another early exit for NE. Instead now its going to be an ass whipping in the AFC title game, instead of a great game it would have been had the teams been SD/INDY.

Peyton has played poorly this year in the playoffs. Peyton has played poorly in previous year's playoffs.

He knows this may very well be his last shot.

Last shot for what. Indy has locked up all their offensive weapons and Addai is only going to get better. Are you telling us manning is on the down side of his career now. What makes you think the Indy D wont be better next yr. Indy has at least another 4 yr window to get a ring, so this is hardly his last shot.

Wow, what stupidity.

Yes, and he's also had some stellar games, along with some average ones, in previous playoffs.

And that's what being a fan is all about. :D

Last shot for what. Indy has locked up all their offensive weapons and Addai is only going to get better. Are you telling us manning is on the down side of his career now. What makes you think the Indy D wont be better next yr. Indy has at least another 4 yr window to get a ring, so this is hardly his last shot.

Wow, what stupidity.

During the Chiefs game IIRC, they went into some information regarding the Colts and their cap problems, and they they have something like 8 starters that are going to come up for Free Agency this offseason. They were portrayed as one of the teams in the worst shape for signing players this offseason.

It might have been during the Pats/Jets game that I saw that, instead of the KC/IND game. I also remember the Jets being named as the team with the best offseason situation.

Since they only lost once in the playoffs during that span, you have a one-game reference. Did they play well in the loss last year to Denver?

Basically what you're saying is until they prove you wrong, you see no reason to doubt them. That's fine and understandable.

That's certainly a part of the arguement, but I would include all of their regular season games as well. It provides a much bigger sample, and the same thing holds true.

During the Chiefs game IIRC, they went into some information regarding the Colts and their cap problems, and they they have something like 8 starters that are going to come up for Free Agency this offseason. They were portrayed as one of the teams in the worst shape for signing players this offseason.

It'd be interesting to see a list of their future free agents. Outside of Freeney and Rhodes, I don't know of any others off the top of my head. I think that they'll be able to re-sign Freeney. They'll most likely release Rhodes, Stokley, and Doss. It's also likely that they dump either Simon or McFarland. (They may be able to release the latter without taking a cap hit, given that he was obtained in a trade, although I'm not sure if that's the way that it works.)

My concerns are with the O-linemen (especially Glenn, Saturday, Diem) and their CBs (David, Harper). Thankfully, Sanders' lingering knee issues have probably taken away any leverage he would've had for holding out for a new contract.

It'd be interesting to see a list of their future free agents. Outside of Freeney and Rhodes, I don't know of any others off the top of my head. I think that they'll be able to re-sign Freeney. They'll most likely release Rhodes, Stokley, and Doss. It's also likely that they dump either Simon or McFarland. (They may be able to release the latter without taking a cap hit, given that he was obtained in a trade, although I'm not sure if that's the way that it works.)

My concerns are with the O-linemen (especially Glenn, Saturday, Diem) and their CBs (David, Harper). Thankfully, Sanders' lingering knee issues have probably taken away any leverage he would've had for holding out for a new contract.

Here's a list, though I am not sure of it's accuracy.

That's certainly a part of the arguement, but I would include all of their regular season games as well. It provides a much bigger sample, and the same thing holds true.

Thought it was a playoff discussion. But I hear ya. Some people like to discount what they've done because of the "waterd-down" aspect of the league. Not me. They continue to amaze me in their resiliency.