[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QUestion

Yukon Cornelius

particularly if you played on the D.

now say the team on Offense is behind and is facing a 4th and long about mid field...

The team that is behind decides to go for it... now we all know it is probably going to be a pass since its more than five yards to the first down marker... K

So the opposing QB is getting a little pressure rushes a throw and its right to a defender about 20 yards from the line of scrimmage....

what should that defender do..

A. should he make the int that is right there in his hands...

or

B. should he swat the ball to the gowned... getting the ball back on downs at the line of scrimmage???

On 4th down he should swat the ball away if he can do so in a manner that leaves no chance for the opposing team to catch it on a tip. If there is another player in the vicinity, then he should probably go ahead and make the pick.

particularly if you played on the D.

now say the team on Offense is behind and is facing a 4th and long about mid field...

The team that is behind decides to go for it... now we all know it is probably going to be a pass since its more than five yards to the first down marker... K

So the opposing QB is getting a little pressure rushes a throw and its right to a defender about 20 yards from the line of scrimmage....

what should that defender do..

A. should he make the int that is right there in his hands...

or

B. should he swat the ball to the gowned... getting the ball back on downs at the line of scrimmage???

It really depends on the time left in the game and the score. However, I'll take the Chargers game as an example. He actually should have taken option (:D. However, in game situations, it is very hard to do. You read the throw get your jump and get the pick. His big mistake at that point was not going down at the first sign of contact. The risk wasn't worth the reward.

I've only heard 'knock it down' on a hail mary, not other plays. How often do you see that happen if a guy in normal coverage can make a pick?

Always knock it down,as your still getting the ball back to your offense. Today's glory hounds of course don't see it that way. 3rd down you go for the pick as it will usually be better feild position if the other team were to punt...but 4th down..knock it down.

twenty yards from the line of scrimmage is my own thirty. I catch it if it looks like I have running room and then get screamed at by my D coach when I get to the sidelines for being such a donutdick and not knocking the ball down so we could get it back at midfield.

On 4th down you knock it down, as the majority of the time the DB will not make it back to the line of scrimmage-so in essence he loses yards even though he advances the ball.

twenty yards from the line of scrimmage is my own thirty. I catch it if it looks like I have running room and then get screamed at by my D coach when I get to the sidelines for being such a donutdick and not knocking the ball down so we could get it back at midfield.

Great minds do think alike :D

Let's not forget a very important factor ... if you try to knock it down you may actually tip it up or knock it in such a way that it can be caught by the Offense.

If I have the play on the ball I'm putting it in the safest spot ... my hands.

If you can't slap a ball to the ground without tipping it up in the air, you have no business at DB.

In my case, my stone hands would probably have resulted in the ball bouncing off and falling harmlessly to the ground anyway. And if you catch the ball properly (the ol' triangle, look the point in), it shouldn't be popping up into the air on your attempt at catching it, unless it's way over your head.

You SHOULD knock it down however most try to catch the ball and advance it. Some of the time you will get caught behind the original line of scrimmage but other times you wont. What if you look at it this way. If you knock it down you have a 0% chance of making a big play by scoring that touchdown on their "soft" offense while if you catch it, you have some chance of scoring. I guess it all comes down to how good you feel about your ability to run it back. If you are the Ravens of 2001 or Bucs of 2003, I would have to say catch the damn ball and run it back to the endzone.

If someone throws a ball to you, your first instinct is to catch it not swat at it.

Which is why coaching and keeping your head in the game and the situation is so important. Proper preparation and coaching can overcome most of this.

KNOCK IT DOWN! As said earlier, on fourth down, you probably do not get back to the LOS and lose field position. Also, you are guaranteed possession if you do, rather than risk the fumble. These two factors make the knock down on fourth down (not third, always take the pick on other than fourth down), the better option. More chances that bad can happen than good if you make the pick.

:D