[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QUestion

Yukon Cornelius

It was a long time ago and only at a high school level, but we were taught that the safest play was always to catch the ball rather than knock it down. The thought was that securing the ball was more important than field position.

However, as others have suggested, DB's at the pro level can probably be expected to make a situational decision and competently execute the correct play.

Edited by ljbrun

Pull out your contract and if it pays you more for interceptions pick it off.

If you're not sure call your agant while the ball's in the air and check. :D

I was always taught it bat it down hard.

My defensive coordinator in college always said there were two things you never 'knock up'....... a football or a chick.

On 4th down he should swat the ball away if he can do so in a manner that leaves no chance for the opposing team to catch it on a tip. If there is another player in the vicinity, then he should probably go ahead and make the pick.

first response and the correct one.

Hey guys, everyone is talking like the guy missed the INT and it ended up a completion. The circumstances of how the ball came to him forced him to catch it. I think it is more of a risk if he tries to swat at it. It is obvious he made the rigth choice cause he caught it. His problem was not securing the ball when running. And this is always a problem when a defender has the ball in his hand, he is not used to protecting from the strip.

I don't have a problem with him catching it in that situation, cause it was a firm throw, not some loft up in the air where it is easy to swat it down. Has anyone ever tried to cleanly swat down a bullet of a pass? It would be more cause for concern that he would wiff or just catch a piece of it.

Hey guys, everyone is talking like the guy missed the INT and it ended up a completion. The circumstances of how the ball came to him forced him to catch it. I think it is more of a risk if he tries to swat at it. It is obvious he made the rigth choice cause he caught it. His problem was not securing the ball when running. And this is always a problem when a defender has the ball in his hand, he is not used to protecting from the strip.

I don't have a problem with him catching it in that situation, cause it was a firm throw, not some loft up in the air where it is easy to swat it down. Has anyone ever tried to cleanly swat down a bullet of a pass? It would be more cause for concern that he would wiff or just catch a piece of it.

The "?" again was-"What's coached?" not coulda, shoulda, woulda, and if, but I.....what is coached on 4th down is to knock it down.

The "?" again was-"What's coached?" not coulda, shoulda, woulda, and if, but I.....what is coached on 4th down is to knock it down.

The reason this question is being asked is because people want to lay blame on somebody like they did something wrong in catching a ball. I can guarantee that circumstances sometimes will keep a player from knocking down a pass cause to tell ya the truth sometime it is easier and more of a sure thing to catch it. He caught it cleanly.

The real question should be is a player coached to secure a ball with 2 hands after the interception and to just go down when you feel a strip attempt.

The reason this question is being asked is because people want to lay blame on somebody like they did something wrong in catching a ball. I can guarantee that circumstances sometimes will keep a player from knocking down a pass cause to tell ya the truth sometime it is easier and more of a sure thing to catch it. He caught it cleanly.

The real question should be is a player coached to secure a ball with 2 hands after the interception and to just go down when you feel a strip attempt.

So, in other words, that's your agenda in this post, it could not have possibly been a actual "?" being posed :D Like I said earlier this week....it's just about complete offseason, so the cynical in all of us begins to rear it's ugly offseason head. :D

Edited by PantherDave

I would angrily snatch the ball from the clutches of my enemy, and then dance at mid-field to Joe Esposito's "You're the Best... Around" ala Karate Kid.

But that's just me... not saying it should be coached that way. :D

Sadly, I realized I know some of the words to that song without even looking them up...

Try your best, but, your only a man, but, a man's gotta learn to take it

Try to believe that when the going gets tough that you gotta hang tough to make it

History repeats itself, just try and you'll succeed

When your the one that's standing there and you can have your dreams

You're the best around, nothing's gonna ever keep you down,

:D

Yes, and instincts do mostly take over, the ? was,-"What is taught aka coached.", and that is to knock it down on 4th down.

That wasn't the question.

Make the pick. I know you're referring to the Chargers'game, but the turnover back to the Pats was a fluke thing.

particularly if you played on the D.

now say the team on Offense is behind and is facing a 4th and long about mid field...

The team that is behind decides to go for it... now we all know it is probably going to be a pass since its more than five yards to the first down marker... K

So the opposing QB is getting a little pressure rushes a throw and its right to a defender about 20 yards from the line of scrimmage....

what should that defender do..

A. should he make the int that is right there in his hands...

or

B. should he swat the ball to the gowned... getting the ball back on downs at the line of scrimmage???

That wasn't the question.

Make the pick. I know you're referring to the Chargers'game, but the turnover back to the Pats was a fluke thing.

Hmmm, seems interpretation is fair game as well around here :D