[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Has the Torch Been Passed

Rockerbraves

With so many NFL fans and media pulling for the Saints these days does that mean Dallas is no longer America's team or is it only because the Cowboys are no longer in contention?

Does anybody know why, how or when Dallas first got the title "America's Team"? :D

Edited by Rockerbraves

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With so many NFL fans and media pulling for the Saints these days does that mean Dallas is no longer America's team or is it only because the Cowboys are no longer in contention?

Does anybody know why, how or when Dallas first got the title "America's Team"? :D

they were never America's team... there Mexico's team

It was a headline in a 70's Spots Illustrated magazine.

Also, contained in that article , if I remeber correctly, outside of cities and states that had NFL franchises, Dallas was the most popular team of the 70's in places that did not have NFL teams.

Also, contained in that article , if I remeber correctly, outside of cities and states that had NFL franchises, Dallas was the most popular team of the 70's in places that did not have NFL teams.

Now that you mentioned it, don't think there were many if any NFL teams located down South back in the early 60's?

Now that you mentioned it, don't think there were many if any NFL teams located down South back in the early 60's?

If you mean south east then no, you had the Falcons and Dolphins and then the Bucs in 76. However, being born and raised in NC the Cowboys were the 3rd favorite team. Before the Panthers came in 95 the most popular team in NC was the Redskins followed by the Steelers with the Cowboys in 3rd place.

RI is where stars are born!

Even though RI is the size of my county, there have been a few. My sister-in-law went to high school with Rocco Baldelli in Cranston. Not that he's a "star" per se, but still a pretty decent ball player. I believe that Paul Konerko is from RI as well.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Even though RI is the size of my county, there have been a few. My sister-in-law went to high school with Rocco Baldelli in Cranston. Not that he's a "star" per se, but still a pretty decent ball player. I believe that Paul Konerko is from RI as well.

konerko was born in providence...they quickly moved to CT...so your sister in law went to bishop hendricken? thats where packers corner will blackmon went too....we also have chris iannetta of the rockies...for the size of our state...we do ok

If you mean south east then no, you had the Falcons and Dolphins and then the Bucs in 76. However, being born and raised in NC the Cowboys were the 3rd favorite team. Before the Panthers came in 95 the most popular team in NC was the Redskins followed by the Steelers with the Cowboys in 3rd place.

Also, from that poll in 94, the Packers were 4th place here in NC, but we have alot of transplants here so it explains it.

I believe that. Even Homer Simpson is a Cowboys fan.

:D He loved Landry

I think Dallas would win a poll in most states in America if the poll was on favorite teams of football fans that arent your home team..It is also true that Dallas is probably one of the most hated teams if you arent a fan..There arent a lot of people that can take or leave Dallas its usually love em or hate em.

I dont think the fan base of the Saints will expand greatly because of the emotion that has gone along with this season..A lot of people are pulling for them if their favorite team is out. They are a pretty easy team to root for. Not much showboating , great coach, Duece is kind of like this years Bettis in the sense that he is a gritty player you like to watch..These remaining games as going to be great..

Edited by whomper

:D He loved Landry

I think Dallas would win a poll in most states in America if the poll was on favorite teams of football fans that arent your home team..It is also true that Dallas is probably one of the most hated teams if you arent a fan..There arent a lot of people that can take or leave Dallas its usually love em or hate em.

I dont think the fan base of the Saints will expand greatly because of the emotion that has gone along with this season..A lot of people are pulling for them if their favorite team is out. They are a pretty easy team to root for. Not much showboating , great coach, Duece is kind of like this years Bettis in the snese that he is a gritty player you like to watch..These remaining games as going to be great..

But Bush will be the 1 going off this weekend instead of Duece :D