[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, how did you become an NFL fan?

PantherDave

I'm the odd one here probably as I didn't start watching really until later in my life.

I tried out for football my 6th grade year, but didn't make the team. I became a student manager and did that for 3 years but still really didn't get into football except for the Superbowl. It wasn't until I was 25 that I got involved. One of my best friend had a slot in a fantasy league he was in and I signed up. I new nothing really of the current players but I grabbed a cheat sheet out of a magazine he gave me and made it to the playoffs that year just on dumb luck. From then on, I watch as much as I can.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but, just typing this has me anxious for my new son and I to share in all of this.

Hopefully my son is growing up in an era much like your dad's. He actually thinks the Saints are going to the superbowl and he only knows LSU as a top ten team. :D

Playstation and Madden football is what has my son hooked on the NFL.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but, just typing this has me anxious for my new son and I to share in all of this.

It's awesome! My son who will be 3 in a couple weeks is really getting into it this year. Running around yelling "Touchdown Saints" and "FIRST DOWN" throwing his arm out like an official. Always asking me "Watch a football game Dad?"

I believe when I was 8 was when I first really began to watch. I remember the Colts going 0-13 to start the season ( I think it was '86), then firing their head coach (Rod Dowhower, I believe) and hiring Ron Meyer. They went on to win their last 3 games of the season. I've been a die hard Colts fan ever since.

I didn't see any until I was about twenty, but you do have to search it out a bit here in the UK, and one night while idling surfing the channels I caught a highlights programme, just the best bits from a week's games. What hooked me was an over the shoulder catch, never seen anything like it before, just watched it from then on. Took me a while to work out the rules! As for supporting the Bucs, i don't know how I landed on them, but I figured that being too excited to sleep before that Rams-Bucs playoff game qualified me as a fan.

My first memory of football is watching the Vikings losing to the Chiefs in SB IV ( I was 4 at the time). Living in MN I naturally became a Vikings fan (we only had 3 TV stations and I think only about 2 games a week...we got our weekly highlights from Howard on MNF) so they were the team I got to watch.

Vividly remember the next 3 Superbowl loses and Drew Pearson cheating!

For some reason I was the only Viking fan in my family. Two of my sisters hated football and the other two chose the the Steelers and the Buc (my sister stuck with them through many losses and was finally rewarded a few years ago...I called her after the game and she was crying with joy!) My dad just recently started watching the Vikings.

I have 3 children and none of them are Viking fans either. My oldest daughter is a Panther fan, my 2nd daughter hates football sort of a fan of the Colts as her name is Peyton and my 2 year old son, Eli, is a fan of the Giants! (his favorite player is Shockey...go figure!)

I have stuck by the Vikings through many disappointing seasons and only hope that before I travel to that big stadium in the sky I get the joy of celebrating a SB victory!

It's awesome! My son who will be 3 in a couple weeks is really getting into it this year. Running around yelling "Touchdown Saints" and "FIRST DOWN" throwing his arm out like an official. Always asking me "Watch a football game Dad?"

My nephew will be 3 in February and I call him on the weekends to tell him the Badgers and Packers are on. He'll shout "Grandma, turn off the Wiggles, Packers are on!"

Can't wait to someday share football with my son(s), my Dad never came to my games. :D

I first started out watching college football when I was young and for some reason started watching the NFL on TV when the Bucs were away (because all the home games were blacked out). My first memory of the Bucs is seeing in the newspaper all the fans wearing paper bags over their heads at the games. I was interested in why they were doing such an odd thing so I guess this is how I could have got roped in. :D

My dad loved football and got me interested in elementary school. I grew up in Peoria, Illinois and idolized Lombardi and the Green Bay Packers.

An Illinoisan a Packer fan???!!!!! :D:tup::bash::clap::(:doh::huh:

I hope you don't go back "Home" very often, 'cause I'm sending a copy of this to the Peoria Picayune! You'll never get back into that town!

Where were we.....Oh yeah...........Grew up near Chi, My Dad was a Bear's fan, no one I knew rooted for the Chicago Cardinals ;), ergo I'm a Bear's fan! :lol: If memory serves...circa 1958, Rick Casares in his prime. I was the first one on my block to collect Football cards instead of baseball cards! Dam....wish I had them now! :D

An Illinoisan a Packer fan???!!!!! :D:tup::D:bash::(:doh::huh:

I hope you don't go back "Home" very often, 'cause I'm sending a copy of this to the Peoria Picayune! You'll never get back into that town!

Hey, I was eight! :clap:

Since then I've wised up and moved on. Now I root for a REAL NFL team! :lol:

Hey, I was eight! :D

Since then I've wised up and moved on. Now I root for a REAL NFL team! :bash:

:D Ok...OKAY! :clap: But a Packer fan! At least the cardinals were in Chi! :tup::doh:

Edited by rocknrobn26

Pretty simple.

My old man played at Purdue, football was 24/7/365 in our house. He was my football coach in high school and I was playing since I was in the 4th grade, playing for St. Joseph.

Never really considered myself an NFL fan...it's the whole game.

My father was a big sports fan. Basketball (Celtics), baseball (Red Sox) and football (ABC). My mother's family is from here in north Texas and they are all Cowboys fans. Big family events were rare because our family was never stationed in north Texas. It would be a treat if every few years we were lucky enough to go to my Mom's parents' house. It would always be for Thanksgiving or Christmas, we always gathered around and watched the Cowboys, played football, ate big and did the general big family holiday with all the relatives.

Plus, it is really easy to be a fan of the Greatest Franchise in the History of Professional Sports.

:D

I watched a Thanksgiving weekend game between Denver and Baltimore (then Colts) when I was 6 or 7. They were playing in the same snow storm I was experiencing and that made me feel connected to it somehow. Denver came from way behind to win the game in the last few seconds. Denver cemented itself as my favorite team and Craig Morton became my hero. :D I don't think I've missed half a dozen Denver games since that day - some 30 years worth. :D

My old man played in college and him, me and my kid brother would watch NFL as far back as I can remember. One specific memory I have was when we visited some of his colleagues at the Air Force Academy and me and my brother were playing football in the yard with the sons of the other family and they were teaching us about the Orange Crush. They were about 3-4 years older than us and I remember that I didnt particularly like their version of it. Who knew the Denver defense was so violent? I think there may have been a fight and my bro might have bitten someone.

He was a pre-Romo Romo.

Edited by skins

Nothing exciting about my story...in the early 70s (living in Michigan at that time) I came across a football game and the Dallas Cowboys were playing in it. Since I was born in Texas, I decided I would be a Cowboys fan and have been ever since...I was seven or eight at the time. :D