[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "Somewhat Official" Bears/Saints Thread

gilthorp

If you're looking to post in an unofficial or an official thread, don't bother with this one.

Now they are saying there's a chance of snow on Sunday...not sure when it will get here.

Personally, these are two very deserving teams and are the best the NFC has to offer this year, which may not be enough for the Super Bowl.

Whichever OL plays better will win this game, pretty simple. These teams are more identical than most think. They each have a QB that's capable of putting up big numbers. They both have stud rookies that can break the game open at any time. Each have strong running games, but the Saints have more firepower and a more consistent QB. Each team has put a ton of points on the board, but the Bears have scored more points in total.

Defensively, the bend and don't break D for the Bears should keep them close enough and if special teams make the difference, it could win it for them. I think the Saints LB's and DB's can be exposed if the Bears' OL gives Rex the time he needs because I can't see NO doing much more than bringing the 4 DL the majority of the time.

Being a Bears fan, I can't predict against them, although I will not be shocked if they lose. However, I really don't see either team getting blown out here, and top to bottom, I really believe the Bears are the more complete team.

I expect to see the D to wake up for this one, and hold the Saints to about 17 points.

Mix in a ST or D TD for the Bears, and I see this game being 30-17 Bears. :D

If you're looking to post in an unofficial or an official thread, don't bother with this one.

Now they are saying there's a chance of snow on Sunday...not sure when it will get here.

Personally, these are two very deserving teams and are the best the NFC has to offer this year, which may not be enough for the Super Bowl.

Whichever OL plays better will win this game, pretty simple. These teams are more identical than most think. They each have a QB that's capable of putting up big numbers. They both have stud rookies that can break the game open at any time. Each have strong running games, but the Saints have more firepower and a more consistent QB. Each team has put a ton of points on the board, but the Bears have scored more points in total.

Defensively, the bend and don't break D for the Bears should keep them close enough and if special teams make the difference, it could win it for them. I think the Saints LB's and DB's can be exposed if the Bears' OL gives Rex the time he needs because I can't see NO doing much more than bringing the 4 DL the majority of the time.

Being a Bears fan, I can't predict against them, although I will not be shocked if they lose. However, I really don't see either team getting blown out here, and top to bottom, I really believe the Bears are the more complete team.

I expect to see the D to wake up for this one, and hold the Saints to about 17 points.

Mix in a ST or D TD for the Bears, and I see this game being 30-17 Bears. :D

Good stuff, Gil. Not much to add except that the Bears have to do a lot better on their pass rush. If Brees is given time, he will shred us.

The Bears D has a lot of talkers (Urlacher for one, although not underperforming), who have underperformed of late; Tillman, Vasher, Ogunleye et al. Its time to stop the talk of disrespect towards the Defense, and perform like they did in the first half of the season. Except for M. Brown and T. Harris, all the pieces from Day 1 are in place and healthy. They had best show up for the first time since the Jets game, and deliver, or shut up!! Go Bears!

If the big meanie Brent doesn't stop picking on me, I think I'll cry....please stop, you're hurting my feelings!

So, anyway...crunching numbers are never good, but I find it helpful in other handicapping that I do.

Looking solely at the defensive side of the ball, there are several glaring numbers that should play out on Sunday.

First of all, the INT's are in favor of the Bears, with a 24/11 advantage. Also, the Forced Fumble stat is a big difference as well with the Bears holding a 23/12 advantage.

Through the 17 games played, the Saints have given up 12 rushing TD's and for these 12 TD's they average 17.9 yards per TD. The numbers get inflated due to a 43, 77, and 62 yard run, but the big play is there to be had.

The Bears on the otherhand have given up 9 rushing TD's this year, with an average of 5.3 yards per TD. The biggest runs they've given up are 14 yards to Alstott and 13 yards to Alexander last week. Deuce is going to earn his yards, even without Harris and Brown in there.

From a Passing TD standpoint, the Saints have given up 27 passing scores this year, with an average of 25.2 yards per TD in all those games. They've given up 13 passing TD's over 20 yards this year.

The Bears D has given up 19 passing TD's this year, with an average of 15.5 yards per TD in 17 games. They've given up 6 passing TD's over 20 yards this year.

If Defense wins championships (even if it's only the NFC Championship) this is a big time advantage on Sunday to the Bears.

I know people can make numbers out to whatever they want it to be, I just felt this was a good excercise to do.