[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants interested in Ahman Green?

Randall

Giants: Jacobs the focus with Tiki leaving

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

Brandon Jacobs was packing up his belongings at his locker as two photographers clicked away.

"Can I ask you a question?" Jacobs said as he looked up. "Where are these pictures going?"

When he was told they'd be in today's newspapers, he just shook his head and sighed.

Whether he likes it or not, Jacobs has become the center of attention in the Giants' backfield. Running back Tiki Barber is officially retired (save for one final appearance in next month's Pro Bowl).

"I've milked so much from him, I don't know what he would have left," Jacobs said.

When asked about the possible changes to the offense next year, Jacobs said there shouldn't be any.

"I can pass-block, I can catch, I can do all those things," he said. "The offense shouldn't have to change at all."

But the roster might. Jacobs will probably have some new company in the backfield with him next season. Early indications are the team will be interested in Packers running back Ahman Green, who will be an unrestricted free agent. Green turns 30 next month.

There's also a chance the Giants will pursue Chargers backup Michael Turner, who rushed for 506 yards on 80 carries (6.3 average) this season behind LaDainian Tomlinson. Turner, who turns 25 next month, will be a restricted free agent, so the Giants would be forced to cough up a draft pick to sign him. They could also work out a trade with San Diego.

Yes, another trade with San Diego.

Barber said he will now focus on his sons A.J., 4, and Chason, 2.

"My next role for the next couple of months is just being a dad," Barber said. "They asked me this morning, 'You lost, Daddy. Why are you going to work today?'

"They understand it more than I thought they would."

WR Plaxico Burress was asked what he would do if the team hired a coach who wanted him to work out in East Rutherford instead of Miami during the off-season.

"Tell him I'll see him at training camp," Burress said as he walked to his car in the rain.

QB Eli Manning on the offense's failures late in the season: "We didn't execute well enough down the stretch. We were in games and we'd tie them up, but we couldn't find ways to win games in the end. That's what it came down to. Sometimes early in games you have to get touchdowns instead of field goals. That's what we didn't do."

Retiring GM Ernie Accorsi spoke to the team yesterday morning. His last day on the job is Monday.

C Shaun O'Hara is an unrestricted free agent. The Hillsborough native and former Rutgers lineman wants to return if possible.

"I've said before that I've thoroughly enjoyed my three years here," said O'Hara, who will turn 30 in June. "I'm hoping (Sunday) wasn't the last time I'll put on a New York Giant uniform. I've never been more proud to associate myself with an organization than I have been for these last three years, so I'm hoping things will work out and I'll be back."

K Jay Feely is also an unrestricted free agent. His performance over the past two seasons -- reaching contractual incentives -- voided the third year of his contract. Feely, who will be 31 in May, said earlier in the season he would like to return to the Giants.

Mike Garafolo may be reached at mgarafolo@starledger.com