[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers Hire Mike Tomlin as HC

jjpro11

A head coach with no experience for the Steelers, eh?

I wonder if he is just keeping the seat warm for a year or two until Cower decides comes back? :D

One year of experience being the Defensive Coordinator BUT plenty of experience working with great defenses in Tampa. Tomlin should do well as long as he hires the right people around him.

Steelers downplay SI report on new coach

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Tom Birdsong, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pittsburgh Steelers this afternoon would not confirm a Sports Illustrated report that the team has named a new head coach.

SI.com, the magazine's web site, reported today that Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had been offered the job.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett, however, said that although he had read the SI.com report, the team would not confirm that Mr. Tomlin would replace Bill Cowher.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point,'' Lockett said.

Asked whether the team had a news conference scheduled either today or tomorrow to announce that their search for a coach was over, Mr. Lockett said, "No, nothing planned, and we would certainly tell you and all the media if we did.''

As he left Steelers headquarters on the South Side this afternoon, team Chairman Dan Rooney would say only, "No comment,'' when asked about the report.

Lockett, asked whether the search for a coach continued, would say only that the team had done important second interviews with two of the candidates, Mr. Tomlin and Steelers assistant head coach and line coach Russ Grimm.

Mr. Grimm, a native of Scottdale, Westmoreland County, could not be reached to see whether he had been told anything about the search.

His brother, Donn, reached in Georgia, said he had heard nothing from Russ Grimm today.

"I think I would have heard, if he knew anything,'' Donn Grimm said.

Mr. Tomlin, 34, just finished his first year as defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings. It is believed that he and Mr. Grimm are the frontrunners to replace Bill Cowher. Cowher resigned last month after the Steelers ended the 2006 season with an 8-8 record, following a Super Bowl championship the year before.

Cowher said he planned to spend more time with his family after coaching the Steelers for 15 years. His wife and youngest daughter moved to Raleigh, N.C., last year.

ESPNews reports Mike Tomlin denies he's taken the Steelers' coaching job.

ESPN's John Clayton also disputes the report, saying his sources have not indicated a final decision has been made by the Rooneys. Tomlin told people who've contacted him since SI.com's report came out that he has not spoken with the Steelers on Saturday.

Sucks for you guys. You finally get someone in there on defense that knows what they are doing and now he is almost set to leave. You have to think if he doesn't get a job this year that he will surely get one next.

At this point, unless Brad makes a dramatic turnaround with his offense, i'd be very happy for Tomlin to stay in MN as DC this year and take over as HC next year.

I would have been fine with this. However, from what I read, I'd be happy with Tomlin, Rivera, or Grimm. I'm just glad Sherman & Gailey were pulled from the running.

My sentiments exactly, although I'm hoping the Bears lose just to see if Rivera is indeed their man. No offense, Bears fans. And no offense to Tomlin for that matter.

My sentiments exactly, although I'm hoping the Bears lose just to see if Rivera is indeed their man. No offense, Bears fans. And no offense to Tomlin for that matter.

And if my theory is correct, if the Bears lose Sunday, look for Rivera to be hopping a flight to Pittsburgh no later than Tuesday.

ESPNews reports Mike Tomlin denies he's taken the Steelers' coaching job.

ESPN's John Clayton also disputes the report, saying his sources have not indicated a final decision has been made by the Rooneys. Tomlin told people who've contacted him since SI.com's report came out that he has not spoken with the Steelers on Saturday.

ESPNEWS is now saying Tomiln will indeed be named the Steelers Head Coach.

There has not been any confirmation on Pittsburgh local TV. They latest headline is that there are conflicting Reports Surround Tomlin As New Head Coach. Referring to SI's claim and they stated that there has been no news from the Steelers headquarters on the South Side. As said before the local news also said that Tomlin said he hasn't talked to the Steelers today.

Very conflicting reports here in the Burg. One source is saying that the Steelers will name Tomlin and then a conflicting source is saying that the reports are incorrect and that there was nothing done or said today concerning the head coach. :D

I would be very happy with Tomlin. This guy really sounded impressive to me on the little interviews that I seen on tv. Grimm is a sentimental choice for me that I would have been happy with. Rivera was the guy that I really thought they were going to end up with.