[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers Hire Mike Tomlin as HC

jjpro11

GDMFSOB! :D:D

It sucks - if he leaves, Joe Woods will probably follow. He is our defensive backs coach that Tomlin hired from Tampa. I hope it not true...it would have been nice to have him hang around a couple more years to provide some stability to this defense. Another year and another scheme...

Steeler fans ..... This is a GREAT hire for Pittsburgh.

Everyone that I've listened to say's that this guy is the real deal. Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan, of Sirius radio, has been singing Tomlin's praises for over 3 weeks now. Kirwan say's that he is the most impressive guy he has come across in over 30 years in Pro football. Obviously he blew away the Rooney's to be given the job over Grimm and others. I think your going to be very, very happy come next December.

With everything I've read, though, as I've said before, I'd be fine with any of the choices, my slight preference would be for Tomlin. He is the same age as Cowher was when he got hired, and is a rising star. Everyone who has ever worked with him has nothing but GREAT things to say about him. I'm starting to lean towards the opinion that the story was leaked, and he will be announced as the new head coach sometime today.

According to the P-G, the Steelers released a statement this morning that said no contract agreement was concluded and they do not expect to conclude one today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-100.stm

(This was already posted in the Grimm thread.)

There is some wiggle room in the statement for an announcement today, but that doesn't seem like the style. I take it mean there really won't be an announcement today, even if they do eventually come to some terms with one of those two guys today.

According to the P-G, the Steelers released a statement this morning that said no contract agreement was concluded and they do not expect to conclude one today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-100.stm

(This was already posted in the Grimm thread.)

There is some wiggle room in the statement for an announcement today, but that doesn't seem like the style. I take it mean there really won't be an announcement today, even if they do eventually come to some terms with one of those two guys today.

Perhaps, they are waiting to see if the Bears win or lose. If they lose, they can interview Rivera. If the Bears win, they might just decide between Tomlin & Grimm. They probably don't want to wait until after the Super Bowl.

Perhaps, they are waiting to see if the Bears win or lose. If they lose, they can interview Rivera. If the Bears win, they might just decide between Tomlin & Grimm. They probably don't want to wait until after the Super Bowl.

+1

A head coach with no experience for the Steelers, eh?

Noll and Cowher had no HC experience prior to their hire.

I don't get the love for retreads anyway - if the guy is so great, why isn't he where he was previously?

That would seem sensible - and one thing that the Rooneys have been through the years is sensible.

I don't think it matters whether the Bears win or lose. They'll interview Rivera regardless of the outcome of the game. Of course, if the Bears DO lose, the interview will be sooner rather than later.

I don't think it matters whether the Bears win or lose. They'll interview Rivera regardless of the outcome of the game. Of course, if the Bears DO lose, the interview will be sooner rather than later.

I disagree with this. If the Bears win, I don't think they'll wait another week while some of the current coaching staff gets hired somewhere else. Whiz already picked off the special teams coach and something tells me he'll pick off more if they wait any longer. If Grimm is the man I think he'll retain most, if not all the current staff so waiting too long is a losing proposition. Tomlin will more than likely hire his own staff but may keep a few of the existing staff as well.

The Bears play the early game today so we'll definately get a clearer picture by kickoff of game 2. We shall see, but I'm with Menudo. I think I'd be happy with any of those 3. I'm really warming up to Tomlin though.

Actually, I do think it matters. If the Bears win, then they cannot interview Rivera until after the Super Bowl. It is important to try to get someone in as soon as they can to start with scouting and such. I think if the Bears win, we will see a decision between the other two.

I disagree with this. If the Bears win, I don't think they'll wait another week while some of the current coaching staff gets hired somewhere else. Whiz already picked off the special teams coach and something tells me he'll pick off more if they wait any longer. If Grimm is the man I think he'll retain most, if not all the current staff so waiting too long is a losing proposition. Tomlin will more than likely hire his own staff but may keep a few of the existing staff as well.

The Bears play the early game today so we'll definately get a clearer picture by kickoff of game 2. We shall see, but I'm with Menudo. I think I'd be happy with any of those 3. I'm really warming up to Tomlin though.

whiz has nothing over the steelers.. the steelers already denied 2 of their assistants permission to speak with the cardinals after whiz asked.. all assistant coaches for the steelers are still under contract. whiz took the special teams coach who we probably were about to get rid of anyways because special teams played a large part in this failure season.

Looks like it is official...

Steelers pick Tomlin as head coach

Sunday, January 21, 2007

By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have informed Mike Tomlin, the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator, that he will be their next head coach. The team plans a news conference to announce his hiring.

The sides were negotiating a contract tonight for four years and an option year. The Steelers made their decision today between Russ Grimm, their assistant head coach and offensive line coach, and Tomlin. They informed Grimm today that they had chosen Tomlin.

Looks like it is official...

Steelers pick Tomlin as head coach

Sunday, January 21, 2007

By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have informed Mike Tomlin, the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator, that he will be their next head coach. The team plans a news conference to announce his hiring.

The sides were negotiating a contract tonight for four years and an option year. The Steelers made their decision today between Russ Grimm, their assistant head coach and offensive line coach, and Tomlin. They informed Grimm today that they had chosen Tomlin.

:D As things moved on, he became my preferred choice.

:D As things moved on, he became my preferred choice.

After seeing and hearing him in some interviews, he also became my preferred choice. This guy just sounds like he reeks of Steeler football. :D

It will be interesting. This is a tough town.

Yes it will. However, I talk to a lot of people each day and I have yet to hear someone that was against him. I think he will be given a very fair chance to prove himself.

Yes it will. However, I talk to a lot of people each day and I have yet to hear someone that was against him. I think he will be given a very fair chance to prove himself.

Which is all a coach can ask for.

What sucks for him is if he wins 120 games, makes 8 postseason appearances, and wins one Super Bowl - he will be the WORST coach Pitt has had since 1969. :D