[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Red Stripe

Puddy

my point is there is nothing about those beers that in any way suggests that they "go" with sushi, or italian, or whatever any more than any other cheap, boring, watered down macro lager. i'd almost have to say that lousy, watered down beer represents the exact opposite of what good ethnic food is about. bland corporate universalism verus regional vibrancy and uniqueness.

That's what I figured and I 100% agree.

Besides, everyone knows if you're gonna get hammered while eating sushi, sake is the way to go!

One of my buddies used to drink red stripe and occasionally I would drink them with him, I remember them being OK but it's been about 8 or 9 years since I had one. Of course I am not the beer snob that Puddy is, I like the watered down piss that everyone else complains about :D

That's what I figured and I 100% agree.

Besides, everyone knows if you're gonna get hammered while eating sushi, sake is the way to go!

Ooof. I ordered some hot sake with dinner last Friday. I couldn't even get my wife to drink 1 little glass of it. I tried my best, but it was ruining the taste of the food.

Some other folks were drinking cloudier cold sake. That looked even grosser than what I had.

Ooof. I ordered some hot sake with dinner last Friday. I couldn't even get my wife to drink 1 little glass of it. I tried my best, but it was ruining the taste of the food.

Some other folks were drinking cloudier cold sake. That looked even grosser than what I had.

Hot sake is garbage...literally. Over the last few years, premium sakes have been showing up in the US market and it is like night and day. The good stuff is never served hot.

There are two major differences:

The first is basically the same thing that distinguishes good tequila from bad tequila, that is, the bad stuff is cut with up to 50% grain alcohol. This came around during WWII because there was not enough rice to provide enough rice and sake for everyone. The government allowed producers to stretch the supply with grain booze. After the war, the big companies pressured the gov't not to lift that law because they were making more money that way. The good stuff is made strictly from rice. Well, there is actually one variety, honjozo, that adds neutral spirits but it is sort a stylistic choice like making port rather than some way of stretching the product.

The other difference is the rice itself. Good sake is made from very expensive rice rather than table rice. The sake rice is not homogenous and actually has a chalky center surrounded by a translucent layer. The center contains complex flavors and the sake producers actually polish the grains down by as much as 60% to eliminate the simple sugars and use only the complex starches. So, after starting with rice that can cost as much as 100x what regular rice does, they throw half of it away.

The resulting product is very complex and could cause a taste epiphany.

The milk stuff that you speak of was simply unfiltered. It's not my thing because I don't like the texture of it but given the choice between that and hot rot gut sake. It's not even close.

eh. if you said negra modelo, i would agree.

slight tangent....i think it's annoying though how "ethnic" restaurants only have crappy macrobeers from that country, mostly because that's what people want to order. like you go to a thai restaurant people feel obliged to order a singha. or peroni at an italian joint. does a crappy lager bottled in thailand go better with thai food than any other crappy lager?

Had many Singhas in Thailand. They tasted better there for sure.

Had many Singhas in Thailand. They tasted better there for sure.

Well, I'm not sure what the timetable is on beer coming across the Pacific, but let's remember that beer IS a food item with an expiration date on it; all things considered, by the time a Singha gets from the brewery in Thailand to your table at the restaurant (or in your fridge), I'd bet it's probably close to or past its sell-by date.

eh. if you said negra modelo, i would agree.

slight tangent....i think it's annoying though how "ethnic" restaurants only have crappy macrobeers from that country, mostly because that's what people want to order. like you go to a thai restaurant people feel obliged to order a singha. or peroni at an italian joint. does a crappy lager bottled in thailand go better with thai food than any other crappy lager?

Since my restaurant is essentially Asian, people often ask me why I don't sell Tsingtao or the like. My reply is that they're simply not very good beers. The best beers that I can get my hands on are primarily premium domestic micro brews and the Belgians (though I'd argue that Ommegang and other US-made Belgian style beers taste better over here. So Azz, I agree completely with what you say.

On another tangent. I was at the Good Beer Store (that's actually the name) and saw the lable you use in you Avitar. Of course I picked up a bottle. Nice stuff but I preferred the Super Balladin Italian made Belgian-style ale that I bought along with it.