[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor: the package Oakland would give up for Vick

Dr. Rock

Honestly I do not think you can say the Falcons have no WRs because that is almost entirely about Vick. When Schaub plays, the wideouts magically come to life. Michael Jenkins was a high first round pick and is very talented. I'd bump him up pretty good in rankings if he had Schaub as a QB. No ATL wideout had more than 40 catches in 2006 - that's mostly all on Vick.

peter warrick, michael westbrook and charles rogers were high first round picks as well -- a heckuva lot higher than jenkins. if you think the falcons WRs are any good at all you haven't seen many of their games. they are absolutely terrible in ways that has nothing to do with vick -- dropping easy balls, running lousy routes, etc.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I do not think you can say the Falcons have no WRs because that is almost entirely about Vick. When Schaub plays, the wideouts magically come to life. Michael Jenkins was a high first round pick and is very talented. I'd bump him up pretty good in rankings if he had Schaub as a QB. No ATL wideout had more than 40 catches in 2006 - that's mostly all on Vick.

In watching the games yesterday I was amazed at the abundance of time the QBs had to make their throws. On all 4 teams the QBs had the time to throw it to their 3rd look. I really do think Vick can be a great QB as he has shown sparatically. He'll never be a 4,000 yard passer, that's just not who he is as a player. He's one of the fastest players in the NFL and is very good outside of the "pocket." Schaub only attempted 27 passes and didn't really excel, though that's kind of understandable. But during the preseason he didn't do very good either (240 yards 37 ateempts 20 completions 2 TDs 2 INTs 69.7 Pass Rating). Schaub isn't the answer, well maybe trading him is. They need OL and they maybe a stud WR. I like Jenkins a lot but Jenkins just doesn't use his size in the red zone. I'm hoping we don't turn into Detroit with the WR madness and I love the signing of Cincy's receivers coach, who I think will prevent it. It was not Vick's fault they lost this season.

:D

Crappy Oline yes, but don't discredit what Curry and Gabrial can do.

They are very good recievers when someone can get the ball to them. Not that Vick is the guy to do that... but still.

Curry has too a scary injury history. Gabriel is supposed to have a poor work ethic. Very scary combo to rely on. :D

I really do think Vick can be a great QB as he has shown sparatically.

Yeah but how long has he been in the league now... 6 or 7 years? I mean at some point you have to stop speculating about his potential and deal with the stark consistent results.

In watching the games yesterday I was amazed at the abundance of time the QBs had to make their throws. On all 4 teams the QBs had the time to throw it to their 3rd look.

Does Vick ever wait long enough to make a 3rd read or even a 2nd one before taking off running? :D

Edited by DKF

peter warrick, michael westbrook and charles rogers were high first round picks as well -- a heckuva lot higher than jenkins. if you think the falcons WRs are any good at all you haven't seen many of their games. they are absolutely terrible in ways that has nothing to do with vick -- dropping easy balls, running lousy routes, etc.

I've seen almost every play of Vick's this year.

Not sure how you can know they are running lousy routes unless you are in the huddle. Unless Vick is throwing his teammates under the bus in a post game interview.

There are plenty of scouts, analysts and coaches that will say that many drops are because Vick doesn't know how to throw anything but a fast ball and that he has no touch. Half the drops are probably because the receiver is surprised to see it so close to them.

In watching the games yesterday I was amazed at the abundance of time the QBs had to make their throws. On all 4 teams the QBs had the time to throw it to their 3rd look. I really do think Vick can be a great QB as he has shown sparatically. He'll never be a 4,000 yard passer, that's just not who he is as a player. He's one of the fastest players in the NFL and is very good outside of the "pocket." Schaub only attempted 27 passes and didn't really excel, though that's kind of understandable. But during the preseason he didn't do very good either (240 yards 37 ateempts 20 completions 2 TDs 2 INTs 69.7 Pass Rating). Schaub isn't the answer, well maybe trading him is. They need OL and they maybe a stud WR. I like Jenkins a lot but Jenkins just doesn't use his size in the red zone. I'm hoping we don't turn into Detroit with the WR madness and I love the signing of Cincy's receivers coach, who I think will prevent it. It was not Vick's fault they lost this season.

:D

Hard on for Vick until the very end ... you have some serious stamina.

Michael Jenkins was a high first round pick and is very talented.

A high first round pick? :D

Not so fast.

Michael Jenkins, although talented, was taken at pick 1.29 in the 2004 draft. For a little more perspective, he was the 5th WR taken that year. Calling him a "high" first round pick is a gross exaggeration of the facts.

I have often thought the same thing-"Why does Schaub always look so good"-did he not have a 400 yd+ passing game in relief of Vick?? Lost the game if memory serves.

In week 5 of 05, Schaub went 18/34 for 298 yds and 3 tds, no ints in a loss to the Pats.

Yeah but how long has he been in the league now... 6 or 7 years? I mean at some point you have to stop speculating about his potential and deal with the stark consistent results.

Don't be a quitter.

that would be pretty retarded.

Why would that be retarded?

Schaub hasn't proven anything ... you can get more for him now than later. Why not get a solid vet to tutor a young guy that you get though another trade or via the draft. Besides, Petrino is rumored to be an expert w/ QBs ... so, why not trade what you've got to get something new that would fit in with whatever offense Petrino would bring.

Personally, teams don't trade away players (especially hot backup QBs) often enough.

www.profootballtalk.com

POSTED 10:35 a.m. EST, January 23, 2007

RUMORED VICK-TO-RAIDERS DEAL MAKES NO SENSE

Though we've never met a rumor we didn't want to monger, we are having a hard time accepting the notion that the Raiders would trade receiver Jerry Porter, receiver Randy Moss, and the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Falcons for running back Michael Vick and the No. 10 overall pick in the draft.

Sure, the Raiders would be the most likely destination for Vick because, well, no one else would want him. But the salary cap charge that the Falcons would take by trading Vick before June 1 would be $22.25 million. Factoring in the $6 million salary that the team wouldn't have to pay, the net cap hit would be $16.25 million.

That's more than 10 percent of the team's total cap space for 2007.

On top of this, the Falcons would have to absorb $1 million in 2007 salary for Porter, $9.75 million in salary for Moss, and the burden of coughing up $25 million or so to the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

And the Raiders would be assuming a contract for Vick that, frankly, pays out more in salary that he objectively deserves. Specifically, Vick is due to receive $6 million in 2007, $7.5 million in 2008, $9 million in 2009, $10.5 million in 2010, $12 million in 2011, $12.5 million in 2012, and $13.5 million in 2013. Surely, the Raiders would be interested in re-working the contract, and we doubt that Vick would be willing to do so.

So we think Vick will get another year, at least, in Atlanta. If he is going to be traded or cut, it'll happen in 2008, at the earliest.

Saw this on another board and I haven't found anything else to back it up . . .

FSR (FOX SPORTS RADIO) is reporting that Michael Vick has been traded to the Raiders for Jerry Porter, Randy Moss and they are swapping positions for the 1st Round so Atlanta has the No. 1 overall pick.

you cant even trade guys for awile, I think its march, far from done deal.

www.profootballtalk.com

POSTED 10:35 a.m. EST, January 23, 2007

RUMORED VICK-TO-RAIDERS DEAL MAKES NO SENSE

Though we've never met a rumor we didn't want to monger, we are having a hard time accepting the notion that the Raiders would trade receiver Jerry Porter, receiver Randy Moss, and the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Falcons for running back Michael Vick and the No. 10 overall pick in the draft.

Sure, the Raiders would be the most likely destination for Vick because, well, no one else would want him. But the salary cap charge that the Falcons would take by trading Vick before June 1 would be $22.25 million. Factoring in the $6 million salary that the team wouldn't have to pay, the net cap hit would be $16.25 million.

That's more than 10 percent of the team's total cap space for 2007.

On top of this, the Falcons would have to absorb $1 million in 2007 salary for Porter, $9.75 million in salary for Moss, and the burden of coughing up $25 million or so to the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

And the Raiders would be assuming a contract for Vick that, frankly, pays out more in salary that he objectively deserves. Specifically, Vick is due to receive $6 million in 2007, $7.5 million in 2008, $9 million in 2009, $10.5 million in 2010, $12 million in 2011, $12.5 million in 2012, and $13.5 million in 2013. Surely, the Raiders would be interested in re-working the contract, and we doubt that Vick would be willing to do so.

So we think Vick will get another year, at least, in Atlanta. If he is going to be traded or cut, it'll happen in 2008, at the earliest.

I'm just asking. would it be that huge of a deal to lose 10% of their cap space. I'm guessing many team don't use their whole cap space anyway.