[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SuperBowl QB facts ...

junebugz

• 20 out of 40 SuperBowl's have been won by a QB taken in the 1st round ... soon to be 21 of 41
  • 11 out of 40 SuperBowl's have been won by a QB taken with 1st pick in the 1st round (Terry Bradshaw-4,Jim Plunkett-2,Troy Aikman-3,John Elway-2)
  • 5 of the 1st round picks who have won the SuperBowl won it with a team other than the team who drafted them (Len Dawson, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, John Elway)
  • 2 Superbowl winning QB's did not enter the NFL through the regular NFL draft (Steve Young, Kurt Warner)
  • 3 QB's who were drafted by Tampa Bay (2 in the first round) won the SuperBowl with another team (Doug Williams, Steve Young, Trent Dilfer) ... however, 1 SuperBowl winning QB was drafted by Minnesota with a pick that they received from Tampa Bay but he then went on to win the Big Game with Tampa Bay (Brad Johnson)
  • The SuperBowl winning QB who was drafted in the lowest round won it twice (Bart Starr)

Just some random SuperBowl QB facts ... seems to me that first rounders do have a fairly decent chance at winning the SuperBowl.

Edited by junebugz

• 20 out of 40 SuperBowl's have been won by a QB taken in the 1st round ... soon to be 21 of 41

• 11 out of 40 SuperBowl's have been won by a QB taken with 1st pick in the 1st round (Terry Bradshaw-4,Jim Plunkett-2,Troy Aikman-3,John Elway-2)

• 4 of the 1st round picks who have won the SuperBowl won it with a team other than the team who drafted them (Len Dawson, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer)

• 2 Superbowl winning QB's did not enter the NFL through the regular NFL draft (Steve Young, Kurt Warner)

• 3 QB's who were drafted by Tampa Bay (2 in the first round) won the SuperBowl with another team (Doug Williams, Steve Young, Trent Dilfer) ... however, 1 SuperBowl winning QB was drafted by Minnesota with a pick that they received from Tampa Bay but he then went on to win the Big Game with Tampa Bay (Brad Johnson)

• The SuperBowl winning QB who was drafted in the lowest round won it twice (Bart Starr)

Just some random SuperBowl QB facts ... seems to me that first rounders do have a fairly decent chance at winning the SuperBowl.

Thanks. Some of this trivia might just win me a couple of beers over the next two weeks. :D

4 of the 1st round picks who have won the SuperBowl won it with a team other than the team who drafted them (Len Dawson, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer)

This one is wrong, because it overlooks Elway's biiitch-ass holdout that got him traded from the Colts to Denver before he played a game.

One thing I was thinking - the NFL and fantasy are wildly at odds on one major point : what's the most important position. In FF, it's RB by far and QB's are usually relatively interchangeable. In teh NFL though, it's about the QB - the two top QB's (manning and brees) both made it to the final four, with the other "best in the NFL" candidate (brady) and a guy who when he's good, Chicago wins, and when he sucks, they are a 50-50 team (i'm not sure what to say about him yesterday, but he sucked early, and it was close, then he came to life, and turned into a blowout).

Best RB were at home (all 6 probowlers plus the next few guys).

4 of the 1st round picks who have won the SuperBowl won it with a team other than the team who drafted them (Len Dawson, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer)

This one is wrong, because it overlooks Elway's biiitch-ass holdout that got him traded from the Colts to Denver before he played a game.

change made ... good lookin out

• 5 of the 1st round picks who have won the SuperBowl won it with a team other than the team who drafted them (Len Dawson, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, John Elway)

A favorite topic of mine, since I hate drafting a QB in the 1st round. The key though is 'win with their original team.' How much did Elways's SB wins in 1998 and 1999 help the 1980's Colts? How much did Dilfer's win help the Bucs? I'd take a Mike Vick Eli Manning, Culpepper, Carr or Leftwich after he's a free agent or in a trade when I wouldn't have wanted to draft any of them in the 1st round.

Look at your list again, the Bradshaw's, Plunkett's, Aikman's, etc are way in the past. It doesn't happen that often now with the advent of free agency and the salary cap. No, Roethlisberger doesn't break my theory since the guy had a terrible Super Bowl and Pittsburgh isn't a pass first team like Indy. Their better defense and running game won the SB, as it almost alway does.

But on your list, Todd, you leave out Roethlisberger (and your excuse is lame). Aikman (still drafted first, it counts no matter how u spin it). That's 4 SB rings right there.

Add in Dilfer you've got 5. Technically Bledsoe won one with the Pats. That's 6. Elway never played a down for the Colts. That's two more SB wins. Now we are at 8.

Now add in the first round QB's that did take their teams to the big game, but lost. McNabb. Collins. McNair.

Either Manning or Grossman will win in two weeks.

Saying "never" is stupid.

But on your list, Todd, you leave out Roethlisberger (and your excuse is lame). Aikman (still drafted first, it counts no matter how u spin it). That's 4 SB rings right there.

Add in Dilfer you've got 5. Technically Bledsoe won one with the Pats. That's 6. Elway never played a down for the Colts. That's two more SB wins. Now we are at 8.

Now add in the first round QB's that did take their teams to the big game, but lost. McNabb. Collins. McNair.

Either Manning or Grossman will win in two weeks.

Saying "never" is stupid.

Where is my Roethlisberger excuse lame? How is Pittsburgh a pass heavy team or anything like the Colts? Roethlisberger was the last piece to an otherwise championship caliber team.

You also missed my point about 'with their original team.' Dilfer didn't win with Tampa and his win with Balt did nothing for TB's success. Bledsoe's technicality is lame, he was on the bench. Yeah, his $10 mil cap figure really helped New England win... Also, my point about Aikman is that the Cowboys were constructed before free agency started and before a salary cap. Once they had to keep all of those all stars under the cap, they fell apart. What other team can trade Herschel Walker for 46 draft pics?

Second place for McNubb, McNair and Collins isn't WINNING a Super Bowl. The Packers 2nd place finish in 98 and the Raider 2nd place finish to TB didn't feel very satisfying to me. Maybe you Colts fans will feel good about Manning just 'getting to' the big game?

Indisputable fact, after 1989 when Aikman was drafted, one other 1st round QB has won a SB with his original team. Ben Roethlisberger, who wasn't asked to win games, was just a capable cog in a machine.

Defense and a running game wins championships.

Bledsoe was the QB for most of the AFC Championship against Pittsburgh.

The last two SB's (XL and XLI) WILL be won by a team that won by picking a QB in the first round.

Denver's two SB's came in the free agency era. Elway was the first overall pick.

And getting to the SB is better than being, say, the Lions. And several first round QB's got their teams there.

A blanket statement that you never draft a QB in the first round is just plain dumb.

The Indianapolis Colts were a laughing stock for most of my life. They wasted high picks on offense. They wasted high picks on defense (including having the top TWO picks one year). They never won 10 games in Indianapolis. They never had a home play-off game. Hell, they'd only been to the play-offs three times prior to 1998. Then they drafted Peyton Manning. It turned this franchise around. It was the best pick they ever made. The best defensive player availbable that year was? Andre Wadsworth (third pick), Charles Woodson (4th), Grant Wistrom (6th), Greg Ellis (8th), Duane Starks (10th), Keith Brooking (12th), and Takeo Spikes (13th). Even if they trade down and get two of those guys (only one of whom won a SB by the way), are the Colts as competitive as they have been the last few years? No way.

Edited by CaptainHook

Where is my Roethlisberger excuse lame? How is Pittsburgh a pass heavy team or anything like the Colts? Roethlisberger was the last piece to an otherwise championship caliber team.

You also missed my point about 'with their original team.' Dilfer didn't win with Tampa and his win with Balt did nothing for TB's success. Bledsoe's technicality is lame, he was on the bench. Yeah, his $10 mil cap figure really helped New England win... Also, my point about Aikman is that the Cowboys were constructed before free agency started and before a salary cap. Once they had to keep all of those all stars under the cap, they fell apart. What other team can trade Herschel Walker for 46 draft pics?

Second place for McNubb, McNair and Collins isn't WINNING a Super Bowl. The Packers 2nd place finish in 98 and the Raider 2nd place finish to TB didn't feel very satisfying to me. Maybe you Colts fans will feel good about Manning just 'getting to' the big game?

Indisputable fact, after 1989 when Aikman was drafted, one other 1st round QB has won a SB with his original team. Ben Roethlisberger, who wasn't asked to win games, was just a capable cog in a machine.

Defense and a running game wins championships.

I was going to resist, but, I can't. Your Roethlisberger arguments are stupid. In all three of the playoff games last year, it WAS Ben Roethlisberger and the passing game that got the Steelers off to leads in the 1st halfs (Indy & Denver). They surprised everyone by putting it on Ben to move the offense. The running game was not working in the 1st half of those games, and Roethlisberger played flawlessly.

Also, even with the worst QB rating by a winning QB in a Super Bowl, Roethlisberger still had the best QB Rating of any QB in the playoffs last year. He was also 3rd in the NFL that year. To dismiss him and say he doesn't count because the Steelers like to run and have a good defense is ridiculous. The Steelers had good teams for a long time, but, were missing a QB that could get them the title. Roethlisberger was that QB.

Now, if we could just get that Roethlisberger and not the 2006 version to show up in 2007, we can get things back on track.

The Indianapolis Colts were a laughing stock for most of my life. They wasted high picks on offense. They wasted high picks on defense (including having the top TWO picks one year).

I remember that year Entman and a LB.

Mel Kiper Jr called them out as a perenial loser by passing on Trent Dilfer one year. :D

They even had the hated Mandarich for awhile.

Nice to see you in the big game.

With that pick, the Colts took Trev Alberts. :D

How sad is it that Dilfer would have been the better pick. :D

Is it still hilarious? :bash:

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2006/04/1...-hilarious.html

It began following the Indianpolis Colts' selection of Nebraska linebacker Trev Alberts with the fifth overall pick. Young draft guru upstart Mel Kiper, Jr. criticized the selection, explaining, "To me, this was a mistake. You cannot go with Jim Harbaugh and pass up Trent Dilfer. Forget it. That's why the Colts are the laughingstock of the league year-in and year-out" (20 monthls later, Harbaugh led the Colts to within one tipped pass of the Super Bowl.)

That comment didn't sit well with Colts executive Bill Tobin, who appeared shortly after Kiper and, while holding a glass of either water, 7-Up, or Tanqueray, derisively snapped,"Who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? He didn't play college or pro football. I don't know about high school, and to my knowledge he's never put on a jock strap, so all of a sudden he's an expert? Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman."

Not really. Since 1982, 47 quarterbacks have been taken in the first round and only 6 have won a Super Bowl (including Grossman/Manning).

Edited by godtomsatan

I would be interested to know how many first round left tackles have won a SB? How many first round RB's have won a SB? How many first round safeties have won a SB? How many first round WR's have won a SB?

Since 1985, Elway twice. Dilfer. Aikman three times. Roethlisberger. Bledsoe. Manning/Grossman.

So in 23 years (starting in Super Bowl XIX) , first round QB's have won 9 SB's. That ain't bad.

And a first round QB has participated in the SB 12 more times, albeit on the losing side. Elway (3), Kelly (4), McNair (1), Collins (1), Marino (1), McNabb (1), and Manning/Grossman (1).

So out of those 46 or so Super Bowl teams, 21 of them had a QB selected in the first round.

Edited by CaptainHook

So in 25 years, first round QB's have won 9 SB's. That ain't bad.

That's 36% of the time. That's not really that significant. Tom Brady and Brad Johnson account for 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls and are 6th Round draft picks. THAT is pretty significant, but no one is going to argue that drafting a QB in the 6th Round and winning a Super Bowl are linked together.

Not really. Since 1982, 47 quarterbacks have been taken in the first round and only 6 have won a Super Bowl (including Grossman/Manning).

That is not the point of that stat. Of course, every QB taken in the first round will not win a SB ... but it seems as though the chance is greater. How many QB's taken in the sixth round end up winning the SB since 82? Far less than those in the 1st round.

21 of the last 46 SB participants had first round quarterbacks. That is almost half. It is not an individual game, but a first round QB seems to give u a good shot at getting to the game, if you are looking at the statistics like that. I don't.

That's 36% of the time. That's not really that significant. Tom Brady and Brad Johnson account for 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls and are 6th Round draft picks. THAT is pretty significant, but no one is going to argue that drafting a QB in the 6th Round and winning a Super Bowl are linked together.

Considering by your own stats that an average of 1.88 QB's are taken in the first round (47 since 1982) I would say that 36% isn't a bad average to have on your side. Sure it isn't over 50%, but there are many more QB's drafted outside the first round than in the first round. I don't have time to see if the number of QB's drafted in 1st round is less than 36% of the total QB's drafted, but if it is, then the 36% shows exactly what you are trying to disprove here.

Hook, the arguement is WITH THEIR ORIGINAL TEAM. Dilfer doesn't count, neither does Elway. Elway won at 38-39 years old because they had a great running game and defense, he wasn't the focus of the offense. I'd be happy to see Leftwich or Harrington win a SB with the Raiders or any other team after he's cut or a FA (like Dilfer or McNair.)

BLEDSOE DOES NOT COUNT, he was on the bench. How many games did he play that year? 2. He started 2 and Brady finished the second one for him. Give me Brady, Montana, Gannon, Young, Favre, Warner over a 1st round pick any day.

If Chicago wins, Grossman is like Roethlisberger- a caretaker QB who you hope doesn't make mistakes so the defense, running game and special teams can win it for you. I never said Roethlisberger can't be efficient, I'm saying he's not a 4000 yd, 40 TD guy. He's not asked to win the game by himself, like Manning usually is.

I would be interested to know how many first round left tackles have won a SB? How many first round RB's have won a SB? How many first round safeties have won a SB? How many first round WR's have won a SB?

Since 1985, Elway twice. Dilfer. Aikman three times. Roethlisberger. Bledsoe. Manning/Grossman.

So in 23 years (starting in Super Bowl XIX) , first round QB's have won 9 SB's. That ain't bad.

And a first round QB has participated in the SB 12 more times, albeit on the losing side. Elway (3), Kelly (4), McNair (1), Collins (1), Marino (1), McNabb (1), and Manning/Grossman (1).

So out of those 46 or so Super Bowl teams, 21 of them had a QB selected in the first round.

Favre would have been a first round pick had he not been hurt his junior year(car accident). Ron Wolf, while with the Jets, was traveling looking at film and wasn't impressed with what he saw.

He said an old man at the school asked if he saw his junior year and after watching it wanted him. That year the Jets didn't have a first round pick and Atlanta picked him right before NY picked in the second round.

QB's touch the ball every play. You want a good player directing the team.