[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parcells' Replacement

J.D.Morrison

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Mike & Mike this morning, the first name that came out of John Clayton's mouth when asked about this was Mike Martz :D

Didn't even think of him to be honest but that would work wonders for he offense.

There will be a price to pay probably involving a draft pick and money but you know JJ loves to make a splash and with the Cowboys probably just drafting the best player available with all their picks this year (versus targeting very specific players) he'd might be willing to sacrifice the pick as well as the $$. :D

You're not alone in your thinking. An article from today's Chi Trib:

Lovie's star is rising

Dallas needs a coach. Smith is underpaid. Hmm…

Published January 23, 2007

A charming legend about Lovie Smith's life in football is that his mother, Mae, supposedly once had a very vivid dream that her son would become a head coach in the NFL someday ... for the Dallas Cowboys.

Funny that within 24 hours of Smith's finest hour as a coach, Sunday's 39-14 knockout of the New Orleans Saints, guess which NFL team should abruptly happen to acquire a vacancy at the head of its coaching staff?

That's right, the Cowboys. Bill Parcells announced his retirement on Monday.

Wouldn't it be bizarre if, by some quirk of timing and luck, the Bears were to win the Super Bowl only to lose their coach?

Suppose for a second that Jerry Jones and the Cowboys' brain trust suddenly come to the conclusion that they would love to land a hot commodity on the NFL coaching scene—bright, qualified, dignified and respected—to succeed Parcells, particularly one who happens to hail from Big Sandy, 110 miles from Big D?

What a twist of fate it would be if Smith, the NFL's most poorly compensated coach, could be coaxed away to his mom's dream team with a big-money offer that bettered that of the Bears.

For weeks there has been speculation that the Bears could lose one of Smith's trusted aides, offensive coordinator Ron Turner or defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, to an available head-coaching position.

It didn't seem to occur to anybody—Smith's name never surfacing in Pittsburgh or Arizona or Miami or Oakland—that a team might leapfrog Chicago's apprentices and hire their boss.

Smith himself is one of the many protégés of Tony Dungy, his friend and Super Bowl opponent, who has successfully ascended pro football's coaching ladder. Another one, 34-year-old Mike Tomlin, just was anointed by the Steelers to replace Bill Cowher.

The man from Big Sandy is at the pinnacle of his success—the Los Angeles Times, New York Times and other publications dispatched correspondents first thing Monday morning to Smith's hometown, population 1,349, to chronicle Lovie's life story as soon as the Bears-Saints game was over—so the Bears had better beware. The Cowboys could come sniffing around.

Rather than lose Turner or Rivera, the Bears could end up promoting one of them to head coach.

Smith will have precious little time to consider the likelihood of such a wild proposition in the fortnight to come. He barely had enough time Sunday night to celebrate his greatest triumph, although he did dine out with Bears players, then go home and check out the Internet, finding out which Benedict Arnolds picked his great team to lose the big game.

"You know who you are," Smith gently scolded those of us assembled before him Monday afternoon at Halas Hall, a group that outnumbered the size of Smith's high school graduation class in Texas.

Sorry about that, coach. Please keep in mind that, present company excluded, 10 of 12 writers from this paper did indeed pick your Bears, and that many of your NFL contemporaries and predecessors were among those who backed the Saints.

Not nodding off till 2 or 3 a.m., Smith said, he did get "a good night's sleep ... till about 5."

Who can blame him for being excited? It isn't easy to tell when Smith is ecstatic because he is not a demonstrative guy. But he takes obvious pride and joy in not only joining the elite of the Super Bowl's coaching fraternity, but in fulfilling a goal to see his mentor, Dungy, join that exclusive club simultaneously.

"We talked early [Monday] and I could hear the excitement in his voice right away," Smith said. "That is, when I finally let him speak a little bit."

Although both men are low-key—"I wouldn't say 'laid-back,'" Smith corrected someone who used that description of his own coaching style—they do know when and how to get their points across.

Smith and his players, for example, shrugged off a "Play Angry" sign that a couple of fans posted on the outskirts of their Lake Forest camp in the weeks before the Saints game. But on game day, several Bears did play angry, motivated in part by pro-Saints propaganda that a certain coach made sure they all saw in the hours before kickoff.

And what about now? What about the Colts being established as a touchdown favorite for Super Bowl XLI on Feb. 4?

"Us, being underdogs?" Smith asked.

Yes, here we go again.

"I wouldn't bet against the Bears," Smith said, "if I were a betting man."

Don't bet against him being the Bears' coach, either, for many years to come. But be sure to tackle him and hang on tightly if those Cowboys try to persuade him to leave town.

mikedowney@tribune.com

What about Russ Grimm or Lovie Smith after they lose the SB. I heard on the radio this morning that Lovie has one year left on his pitiful contract being paid something like a mil and a half next year. They were saying if Dallas/JJ threw 5 mil a year at him who knows? I'd love that!!! :D

:D

If that happens, I'm marching on Halas Hall with a burning torch and pitchfork.

If that happens, I'm marching on Halas Hall with a burning torch and pitchfork.

I don't think he'll go (Lovie). The Bears will offer an extension probably doubling his current salary.

Clayton also mentioned that he believed Chicago must sign Lovie even though they don't normally like to pay top dollar as they would want to avoid the negative backlash from letting him go and end such a nice season on a sour note. So expect Lovie to cash in with the Bears.

Pete Carroll is who I want

:D Not happening. Guy's a great college coach but an average to poor Pro coach. It's amazing when a guy's been away from the pro game long enough and has success at a lesser level, how people forget how bad he was a want to bring him back. :D

Pete Carroll is who I want

Pete Carroll was a complete (complete) debacle here in New England. JMO, but he preoved that he did not have what it takes to handle the pro players.

X's and O's are fine. Great coordinator. Great college coach (rvsp or I will bench you and you will never even sniff the draft or a scholarship dollar again).

In the NFL...I think you would be disappointed. Seeing him coach TO would be tremendously entertaining, though! :D

Pete Carroll was a complete (complete) debacle here in New England. JMO, but he preoved that he did not have what it takes to handle the pro players.

X's and O's are fine. Great coordinator. Great college coach (rvsp or I will bench you and you will never even sniff the draft or a scholarship dollar again).

In the NFL...I think you would be disappointed. Seeing him coach TO would be tremendously entertaining, though! :D

Could've just said, "What Irish said." :bash::clap:

:D Not happening. Guy's a great college coach but an average to poor Pro coach. It's amazing when a guy's been away from the pro game long enough and has success at a lesser level, how people forget how bad he was a want to bring him back. :D

Belicheck failed in Cleveland as well. I agree Carroll has more talent than just about any team he faces on Saturday every week. But Lets look at Carroll NFL record vs Parcells last 4 yrs with the Boys.

Carroll has a combined 33-31 NFL record

1994 - Jets - 6-10

1997 - NE Pats - 10-6

1998 - NE Pats - 9-7

1999 - NE Pats - 8-8

Parcells is 1 game better at 34-30 over the same time frame with the Cowboys.

2003 - 10-6

2004 - 6-10

2005 - 9-7

2006 - 9-7

Difference is Parcells doesnt relate to todays players, and Carroll is year in year out winning big with younger players than Parcells has to deal with.

The cowboys had much more talent than the Pats or Jets did at that time, and the way this team collapsed in the final month of the season the last 2 yrs when they could have won the division in both instances, was proof he lost this football team.

The more I think about it the more I think it will be Stoops. I think that Oklahoma has lost at least two verbal commits this past week on rumors that they may be going on probation for the Bomar thing. It looks like the Sooner Schooner is about to break down. My brother who is a hugh OU fan (God bless his feeble mind) also attributes these defections to the possibility that Stoops goes to the Cowboys.

:D Guess any Sooner fan would want Pete out of college football after that 55-19 whoop a$$ he put on your OK team. Next thing you'll want is Boise State's coach to take over the Cowboys. :D

LMAO, if I didnt think Carroll was a good coach, I wouldnt want him coaching any of my teams, college or pro, you idiot. Id rather have Carroll than Payton, that is for sure. Payton reminds me of Vermeil a few yrs back. Vermeil lucked into Warner, and Faulk along with a gravey schedule and had a nice season. Do you really think Payton who failed as OC in NY and then again was average at best in Dallas is that good of a coach, or just the product of alot of luck and a gravey schedule. either way, i enjoyed seeing the Saints get embarassed, in the NFC Champ game.

And I wouldnt want Les Miles coaching my sons flag football team, let alone my Boys.

Stoops hasnt proved he can win at the NFL level, and Carroll has a winning record in his time as a NFL coach, with inferior teams. With the Dallas team, a good coach could put them in the SB.

The more I think about it the more I think it will be Stoops. I think that Oklahoma has lost at least two verbal commits this past week on rumors that they may be going on probation for the Bomar thing. It looks like the Sooner Schooner is about to break down. My brother who is a hugh OU fan (God bless his feeble mind) also attributes these defections to the possibility that Stoops goes to the Cowboys.

OU is not going on probabtion for the Bomar incident. As far as Stoops leaving, if that happens, OU is a top 5 program in the country and will attract another quality coach, or promote DC Brent Venables. Id rather have Brent Venables than Mack Brown. :D

+1 Good stuff They only problem I see with Stoops is that he will have to deal with a salary cap in the NFL.

I can see a guy like Peterson sitting across from Stoops during contract negotiations saying something like "Caoch Stoops all I am asking for is what you paid me at Oklahoma" :D

OU is not going on probabtion for the Bomar incident. As far as Stoops leaving, if that happens, OU is a top 5 program in the country and will attract another quality coach, or promote DC Brent Venables. Id rather have Brent Venables than Mack Brown. :D

Hopefully OU will hire Greg Davis for Stoops replacement. :D I'd rather have Mack than Venables, for recruiting alone.

either way, i enjoyed seeing the Saints get embarassed, in the NFC Champ game.

Nice to know that meeting me on this forum has finally brought a little joy into your life. I know up to last week its been all my pleasure. Just hope it continues to take one of my teams losing a NFC championship to bring enjoyment to your SORRY life. :D

Titans: Fisher not allowed to talk to Cowboys

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Take Jeff Fisher's name out of the speculation on who might replace Bill Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Tennessee Titans have Fisher under contract for 2007 after owner Bud Adams picked up an option on his coach, and the team is working on a long-term extension.

"We haven't been contacted by Dallas," chief executive officer Steve Underwood said in a statement Tuesday. "In the event that we were, there are no circumstances that we would grant permission to the Cowboys to speak with Coach Fisher."

With the resignation of Bill Cowher from Pittsburgh on Jan. 5, Fisher is the NFL's longest tenured coach with one team. He has spent 12 full seasons with the Titans, a tenure that started with six games in 1994 coaching the then-Houston Oilers with a 110-97 record.

Fisher also helped guide quarterback Vince Young to AP Offensive Rookie of the Year honors and an 8-8 record after an 0-5 start. Fisher is taking part in interviews for the team's next general manager who will replace Floyd Reese, who resigned on Jan. 5.

Even if Adams might not mind letting Fisher leave, Dallas would be the last team he would let steal away one of his coaches. Adams still lives in Houston where his Oilers fought to attract attention away from the Cowboys in Texas before relocating to Tennessee in 1997.

Nice to know that meeting me on this forum has finally brought a little joy into your life. I know up to last week its been all my pleasure. Just hope it continues to take one of my teams losing a NFC championship to bring enjoyment to your SORRY life. :D

Kicking you in the nuts ever time you open your mouth, doesnt really give me pleasure. Its just too difficult to avoid. Difference is, this is about Parcells and the Boys. I have a question for you. Do you think if Payton stepped down today, ESPN radio would spend the last 2 days talking about it, putting the SB on the back burner, like Parcells leaving has done here in . And Payton just took that team to the NFC Champ game. Difference is the Saints dont matter to the national media, and neither does LSU. Come to think of it, you dont matter either, so disappear and see if anyone asks where you are. I promise you, it wont happen.