[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers' Grimm follows Whisenhunt to Cardinals

Shorttynaz

I listen to, watch, and read everything I can possibly find on the Steelers, and it is amazing to me that I have never heard or seen a majority things that you have written here.

First, if the Steelers wanted to hire Whisenhunt or Grimm, they would have done it early. The Rooney's have said that these two were the favorites going in. However, on their first round of interviews, both Rivera and Tomlin put doubt in their minds about hiring Whisenhunt or Grimm. When the Cardinals opportunity came up, Whisenhunt asked the Steelers if they had made up their mind, the Rooney's said that they couldn't guarantee Whisenhunt that he would get the job, so he did the smart thing and took the sure thing in Arizona. That left Rivera, Grimm, and Tomlin in the pool of choices. Not wanting to wait for 2 weeks and losing valuable time after the Bears one, the Rooney's decided they would choose between Grimm and Tomlin. Their choice was Tomlin. Grimm, as were all of the Steelers assistants was still under contract to the Steelers, so, he could only leave that contract for a head coaching job, unless he got permission from the Steelers. He asked permission to be released from his contract, and that permission was granted by the Rooney, who once again did the class thing. So, whatever 'pact' you heard that Whisenhunt and Grimm had wouldn't work without cooperation from the Steelers.

Having your opinion is one thing, but, reading your posts, it is obvious you have an agenda. You state your opinion, and then spice it up with 4th grade comments about the Steelers that are the equivalent to "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah we are going to the Super Bowl and you're not......" That combined with the fact that you just showed up here during this Colts run :D has earned you the reputation that you certainly deserve.

You also called the Colts our biggest rival in one of your posts, which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I don't get into namecalling or personal insults around this place, except to Ugly Tuna, which doesn't count, but, just know that I am thinking some names and personal insults towards you, and they are not nice. Your knowledge of the Steelers and their situation is weak, go concentrate on the Colts and your multiplication tables that your teacher taught you this week. (wait, was that a personal insult ?)

Tell me what you want. Unless Rooney is your f'ng dad, please tell me WHAT the F' do you know other than what you read!?!? You're like a f'ng woman, you read something, or hear something, and then remember what you want. PLEASE tell me oh so brilliant one, where you heard this: "When the Cardinals opportunity came up, Whisenhunt asked the Steelers if they had made up their mind, the Rooney's said that they couldn't guarantee Whisenhunt that he would get the job, so he did the smart thing and took the sure thing in Arizona." This statement was never released anywhere. This was someone's opinion, and you just took it and ran with it, cause it's what you wanted to hear. And then to tell me that I only show up when the Colts are on their way to the superbowl, sorry bro.. I think you've taken one too many cumshots from jjpro to your eyes.. I've been in and out of these 2 forums all season.

Another thing, "You also called the Colts our biggest rival in one of your posts, which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen." - I was in Pittsburgh this past summer for 2 weeks, and while barhopping one night on the southside, there were all kinds of banners and posters with relation to how the Steelers beat the Colts. There was NOTHING, not only in the southside, but anywhere in the entire downtown area that even mentioned that it was the Seahawks that the Steelers beat in the SB. Being a Colts fan, I did ask why people there act like it was the Colts that they beat in the SB. The most common response was they're one of our biggest rivals. We've never liked the Colts, and other than the Browns, Indianapolis is probably our biggest rival. I heard that from cab drivers, bartenders, the concierge at the hotel I was staying at, and 2 FEMALE waiters. EVERYONE kept saying that.

So unless you live in Pittsburgh, why dont you continue to blow your boyfriend jjpro and keep taking those moneyshots champ! I told you in my last post that I got the information from a local sports radio interview I heard. It came straight from Ken Whisenhunt. The Steelers were interested in promoting from within. I really dont care though. Before these past few days, I really had absolutely nothing against the Steelers. I was a little bitter that they beat the Colts last year, but I didnt hate them. However even before going one on one with you and jjpro, I have seen your posts and just wanted to say that you're an uneducated, unknowledgable, rumor starting fan of the Steelers. It really is fans like you that give a team a bad reputation. Loudmouth fans that know EVERYTHING. Look at the Yankees and the Lakers. Nothing wrong with the teams, just the obnoxious fans. Like I said in my last post bro, if you dont like reading what I type, then dont open the post.. It's pretty simple. Until I get booted from this forum, I wont let it go.. I didnt start this.. You decided to chime in and play along with your boyfriend about something I didnt start.. I made a personal opinion when I stated bonehead move. However, I will continue arguing with you 2 girls. It makes the day go faster..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me what you want. Unless Rooney is your f'ng dad, please tell me WHAT the F' do you know other than what you read!?!? You're like a f'ng woman, you read something, or hear something, and then remember what you want. PLEASE tell me oh so brilliant one, where you heard this: "When the Cardinals opportunity came up, Whisenhunt asked the Steelers if they had made up their mind, the Rooney's said that they couldn't guarantee Whisenhunt that he would get the job, so he did the smart thing and took the sure thing in Arizona." This statement was never released anywhere. This was someone's opinion, and you just took it and ran with it, cause it's what you wanted to hear. And then to tell me that I only show up when the Colts are on their way to the superbowl, sorry bro.. I think you've taken one too many cumshots from jjpro to your eyes.. I've been in and out of these 2 forums all season.

Another thing, "You also called the Colts our biggest rival in one of your posts, which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen." - I was in Pittsburgh this past summer for 2 weeks, and while barhopping one night on the southside, there were all kinds of banners and posters with relation to how the Steelers beat the Colts. There was NOTHING, not only in the southside, but anywhere in the entire downtown area that even mentioned that it was the Seahawks that the Steelers beat in the SB. Being a Colts fan, I did ask why people there act like it was the Colts that they beat in the SB. The most common response was they're one of our biggest rivals. We've never liked the Colts, and other than the Browns, Indianapolis is probably our biggest rival. I heard that from cab drivers, bartenders, the concierge at the hotel I was staying at, and 2 FEMALE waiters. EVERYONE kept saying that.

So unless you live in Pittsburgh, why dont you continue to blow your boyfriend jjpro and keep taking those moneyshots champ! I told you in my last post that I got the information from a local sports radio interview I heard. It came straight from Ken Whisenhunt. The Steelers were interested in promoting from within. I really dont care though. Before these past few days, I really had absolutely nothing against the Steelers. I was a little bitter that they beat the Colts last year, but I didnt hate them. However even before going one on one with you and jjpro, I have seen your posts and just wanted to say that you're an uneducated, unknowledgable, rumor starting fan of the Steelers. It really is fans like you that give a team a bad reputation. Loudmouth fans that know EVERYTHING. Look at the Yankees and the Lakers. Nothing wrong with the teams, just the obnoxious fans. Like I said in my last post bro, if you dont like reading what I type, then dont open the post.. It's pretty simple. Until I get booted from this forum, I wont let it go.. I didnt start this.. You decided to chime in and play along with your boyfriend about something I didnt start.. I made a personal opinion when I stated bonehead move. However, I will continue arguing with you 2 girls. It makes the day go faster..

:D

Wow, you are a bigger idiot than I thought. Your whole paragraph about the Colts being the Steelers biggest rival is laughable. The Browns and Ravens are easily the Steelers biggest rival. After that it would be the Bengals & Cowboys. As for why people were talking about the Colts game, are you really too stupid to understand that ???? That was their biggest upset along the way, and was by far the most enjoyable of their victories. My quote about Whisenhunt was from the Post-Gazette. It came from writers closer to the situation than you are.

You continue to show your immaturity by calling me someone's boyfirend and talking about cum in someone's eye. You are a little troll and everyone here knows it. You will get voted newbie tool of the year, because that is what you are showing yourself to be.

As for calling me uneducated, unknowledgable, and a rumor starter, I'll let the other people around here judge that. However, the people around here have already seen what you are all about.

My last question, if the Steelers wanted to hire from withing, please, tell me why they didn't ? It was all in their hands. They made the decisions they wanted and saying anything else is stupid.

Rumor on another board, in a nutshell: Grimm was told the job was his on Saturday and he was told he could tell his family that it was his. Then somehow the commish Goodell got involved and convinved one of the Rooney's that they should hire Tomlin as the Rooney family was behind the whole minority hiring push and it would be good for the league. So they then told Grimm they changed their mind and called up Tomlin. Not sure if true or not. Sure were alot of wacky reports coming out one way or another. This might explain why.

Rumor on another board, in a nutshell: Grimm was told the job was his on Saturday and he was told he could tell his family that it was his. Then somehow the commish Goodell got involved and convinved one of the Rooney's that they should hire Tomlin as the Rooney family was behind the whole minority hiring push and it would be good for the league. So they then told Grimm they changed their mind and called up Tomlin. Not sure if true or not. Sure were alot of wacky reports coming out one way or another. This might explain why.

Here is the Rooney's take on the situation. I'm sure none of us will ever know exactly what happened, but, as a fan, I'm very happy with the results. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have been disappointed with Grimm or Whisenhunt either, and wish them the best of luck in Arizona, but, my preference was for Tomlin.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756276-66.stm

Grimm may have misread situation

Rooney II: Offer discussed, but not tendered

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Wade, Post-Gazette

Russ Grimm will join Ken Whisenhunt in Arizona.

Click photo for larger image.

More Coverage:

Steelers coaching staff: Tomlin tabs Arians as his offensive coordinator

Bob Smizik: Lack of discipline may have been decisive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could a misunderstanding or miscommunication have occurred that led Russ Grimm to believe that he was offered the Steelers' head-coaching job Saturday?

Art Rooney II, the team's president, believes that is possible. A published report declared that Grimm had been offered and accepted the Steelers' head-coaching job Saturday night. The Steelers hired Mike Tomlin as their coach Sunday and publicly introduced him Monday.

Yesterday, Grimm accepted a job as the assistant head coach and offensive line coach of the Arizona Cardinals, the same titles he held with the Steelers. The job reunites him with new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, the Steelers' former offensive coordinator who had been considered among the leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher, along with Grimm. The Steelers released Grimm from his contract with them after he requested it.

Rooney did not deny that the team discussed an offer with Grimm, but he said no deal was completed.

"Let me put it this way: We made Russ a finalist, and I think at that point we felt he was somebody we seriously were considering for the job," Rooney said yesterday. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Russ and I do hope he gets a shot to be a head coach; I think he deserves it. I think its fair to say he came close."

Rooney admitted that the Steelers had talked about contract numbers with Grimm's agent, but he said they also talked about numbers with Tomlin's representatives.

As for any such contract offer they might have given to Grimm, Rooney said, "We discussed that it's not going to be final until it's final. It's one of those things I think we made clear it was not final at the time we spoke."

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette

Former Steelers offensive line coach and assistant head coach Russ Grimm was with the team since 2001.

Click photo for larger image.

A possible misunderstanding then?

"I think on the agent's part; they tend to think in those kinds of terms," Rooney said. "I think we made it clear at the time we spoke that it was not final, and we were going to speak again on Sunday. I believe the agent was told not to say anything to anybody because of that. I think the league people caused some confusion, which was unfortunate, but that didn't come from us."

The Steelers were furious over reports that surfaced Saturday on SI.com and ESPN that Tomlin had been chosen as their head coach. They insisted they did not pick their coach until Sunday. Rooney blamed "league people" for those reports.

"Let's put it this way, I think I know where both of the leaks came from and I think it's unfortunate when people talk about something when you're dealing with these things," Rooney said, then quoted an old Yogi Berra saying. "It ain't over 'til it's over, and people were claiming something was over when it was not."

Grimm seemed disappointed, but said he wasn't bitter over the way events played out.

"Obviously, it was tough," Grimm told reporters in a conference call yesterday. "I thought I had a shot at it. Whatever the details are and things like that, I respect the decision that was made.

"It's time to move on. I'm thrilled to be in Arizona."

Grimm's agent, Eric Metz, declined comment.

Rooney said it was extremely close between Tomlin and Grimm.

"I think it's fair to say Russ was close. We gave serious consideration to giving Russ the job, and he merited it. That's why we made him a finalist."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you are a bigger idiot than I thought. Your whole paragraph about the Colts being the Steelers biggest rival is laughable. The Browns and Ravens are easily the Steelers biggest rival. After that it would be the Bengals & Cowboys. As for why people were talking about the Colts game, are you really too stupid to understand that ???? That was their biggest upset along the way, and was by far the most enjoyable of their victories. My quote about Whisenhunt was from the Post-Gazette. It came from writers closer to the situation than you are.

You continue to show your immaturity by calling me someone's boyfirend and talking about cum in someone's eye. You are a little troll and everyone here knows it. You will get voted newbie tool of the year, because that is what you are showing yourself to be.

As for calling me uneducated, unknowledgable, and a rumor starter, I'll let the other people around here judge that. However, the people around here have already seen what you are all about.

It was all in their hands. They made the decisions they wanted and saying anything else is stupid.

Your whole problem is 2 words. Ed Bouchette.. There's a gut that's FULL of knowledge. If I could find a link or replay the interview that Whisenhunt had out here, I would definitely post a link here. There's nothing I can find though. As for whatever I get voted for. So be it. What do I win?

And how many more times do I have to state my opinion!?!?!? You asked: "My last question, if the Steelers wanted to hire from withing, please, tell me why they didn't ?" I told you.. Rooney waited too long to start getting serious. Whisenhunt decided to skip town and not wait around. If he waited and didnt get the job, he would have probably missed his opportunity to become a HC this year. And I'm sure that the Rooney's knew that Whisenhunt and Grimm were close. That's probably why granted him his release. This was a classy move by the Rooney's. Do I feel that Tomlin is the right/wrong guy for the job? I dont have the slightest idea. He's got coaching experience. Does he have some big shoes to fill? Sure does. Does he have some high expectations to meet? Sure does. Will he be the guy in Pittsburgh for the next 10+ years? It's too hard to tell. Now again, do I have anything against the Steelers? No I dont. Thrir fans now is a different story. They're an outstanding team that makes the right moves year after year. Living in Phoenix and having the Cardinals as my second fav team, I would give just about anything to have the Rooneys own the Cardinals over the Bidwells. And my last question here, although I have no problem continuing this argument/debate, why can we not agree to disagree on this? Besides, aren't I interrupting you and jjpro from your quality time? :D

And I just realized something else from reading a piece of your article. "Grimm's agent, Eric Metz, declined comment."

I am a pretty close friend of Eric Metz. My wife works for his wife. He's is probably the biggest Steelers fan I know. I'll see what kind of information I can get from him. His information is probably a little more credible than Ed Bouchette. Eric deals with the Rooneys on a weekly basis..

Your whole problem is 2 words. Ed Bouchette.. There's a gut that's FULL of knowledge. If I could find a link or replay the interview that Whisenhunt had out here, I would definitely post a link here. There's nothing I can find though. As for whatever I get voted for. So be it. What do I win?

And how many more times do I have to state my opinion!?!?!? You asked: "My last question, if the Steelers wanted to hire from withing, please, tell me why they didn't ?" I told you.. Rooney waited too long to start getting serious. Whisenhunt decided to skip town and not wait around. If he waited and didnt get the job, he would have probably missed his opportunity to become a HC this year. And I'm sure that the Rooney's knew that Whisenhunt and Grimm were close. That's probably why granted him his release. This was a classy move by the Rooney's. Do I feel that Tomlin is the right/wrong guy for the job? I dont have the slightest idea. He's got coaching experience. Does he have some big shoes to fill? Sure does. Does he have some high expectations to meet? Sure does. Will he be the guy in Pittsburgh for the next 10+ years? It's too hard to tell. Now again, do I have anything against the Steelers? No I dont. Thrir fans now is a different story. They're an outstanding team that makes the right moves year after year. Living in Phoenix and having the Cardinals as my second fav team, I would give just about anything to have the Rooneys own the Cardinals over the Bidwells. And my last question here, although I have no problem continuing this argument/debate, why can we not agree to disagree on this? Besides, aren't I interrupting you and jjpro from your quality time? :D

Well, other than your last sentence, this post was a quality one. I actually don't really disagree with much of what you say here. See, if you keep it to just your opinon without the childish remarks, we will have absolutely zero problems, that is, of course, assuming you can overlook how uneducated & unknowledgable I am.

And I just realized something else from reading a piece of your article. "Grimm's agent, Eric Metz, declined comment."

I am a pretty close friend of Eric Metz. My wife works for his wife. He's is probably the biggest Steelers fan I know. I'll see what kind of information I can get from him. His information is probably a little more credible than Ed Bouchette. Eric deals with the Rooneys on a weekly basis..

Also, you don't need to bash Bouchette to me. I'm not a hugh fan of his either. However, he does get some solid information and is very close to the situaton. It is when he starts feeding me his opinions that I get annoyed.

Really, I don't care about any of this. I would have been happy with Whisenhunt or Grimm, however, as the search moved on, Tomlin became my choice, which I made clear prior to his being selected. I do think Whisenhunt and Grimm will do a good job and Arizon, and I hope they do.

I would have been happy with Whisenhunt or Grimm, however, as the search moved on, Tomlin became my choice, which I made clear prior to his being selected.

Thought this was interesting:

"A little birdie says Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy had a long conversation with the Rooney family, which owns the Pittsburgh Steelers, and sold the Rooneys on hiring Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin as their head coach. Dungy hired Tomlin for his first NFL job as an assistant at Tampa Bay in 2001.

Posted January 24, by Ben Maller"

"A little birdie says Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy had a long conversation with the Rooney family, which owns the Pittsburgh Steelers, and sold the Rooneys on hiring Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin as their head coach. Dungy hired Tomlin for his first NFL job as an assistant at Tampa Bay in 2001.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. First, Dungy is a big backer of Mike Tomlin. Second, the Rooney's have a relationship with Dungy from his Steeler days, and have spoken about their admiration of him in the past. It makes sense.

And here I was all for rooting for Dungy for getting his first Super Bowl ring. Thanks for helping us lose our DC Dungy. :D

So, now you just don't really, really hate the Colts. Now you really, really, really hate the Colts. :D

yep, now not only do I want the Colts to lose the super bowl because I hate Peyton Manning, but because I don't want to hear shorrtynaz (like uglytuna) talk about how amazing they are and how they won for a while.

Edited by CD6405

yep, now not only do I want the Colts to lose the super bowl because I hate Peyton Manning, but because I don't want to hear shorrtynaz (like uglytuna) talk about how amazing they are and how they won for a while.

You wont hear about it for a long time, maybe a day or 2 following the game, but I wont be gloating for the next year..

Shorrtynaz has given me another reason to hate the Colts.

And before you say something about the Ravens, I'm not a fan of them I just bet against the Cots.

Why would I say anything about the Ravens? At least I have enough balls to let it be known who I cheer for.

You wont hear about it for a long time, maybe a day or 2 following the game, but I wont be gloating for the next year..

What kind of jerk would gloat for a year after winning a Super Bowl............ :D

Edited by Menudo