[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maroney

rebdog

I'm wondering if there's any concerns about Maroney with the New England faithful. He had shown flashes during the first half of the year, but since that time the other rookies like Bush and Addai and Jones-Drew really outshone him.

I'm guessing that maybe he just needs more of an opportunity since he was never in any games long enough to get a rhythm going. But if Dillon's back next year and Faulk continues to get 3rd down play, how much of an impact will he have? If he was worth taking at #15 you'd think the Genius BB would get him some time.

I'm wondering if there's any concerns about Maroney with the New England faithful. He had shown flashes during the first half of the year, but since that time the other rookies like Bush and Addai and Jones-Drew really outshone him.

I'm guessing that maybe he just needs more of an opportunity since he was never in any games long enough to get a rhythm going. But if Dillon's back next year and Faulk continues to get 3rd down play, how much of an impact will he have? If he was worth taking at #15 you'd think the Genius BB would get him some time.

No Concerns. Maroney got slightly more of the work this season than I had predicted he would, and I imagine that was in an effort to keep Dillon strong down the stretch.

I am not 100% that the team will bring Dillon back next season, but if they do, then I would expect the trend of Dillon/Maroney from this year to reverse itself. Kevin Faulk will still get a good percentage of the touches as well.

The thing that concerns me about Maroney is that he has taken to dancing behind the line instead of hitting the hole strong. He needs to learn to stop dancing.

I'm guessing that maybe he just needs more of an opportunity since he was never in any games long enough to get a rhythm going. But if Dillon's back next year and Faulk continues to get 3rd down play , how much of an impact will he have? If he was worth taking at #15 you'd think the Genius BB would get him some time.

I think that's why you can't really compare Maroney to Bush and Jones-Drew. The latter two split carries with one other back, while Maroney had to share with Dillon AND Faulk. I think that Maroney has higher upside than Bush, who isn't that impressive between the tackles.

I'll state my OPINION. I have a personal feeling that Maroney will be a top 5 back in the league within the next 2 years. The guy is raw. He needs more reps with the starters so he can create that chemistry. Dillon will not be around forever. He's getting older. I'm not at all disappointed with J Addai, but before last years draft, the Colts were huge on Maroney. That was by far their target. When the Pats swooped him up, the Colts took option 2 in Addai. Addai just so happened to get more playing time, and with a fill in starter in Rhodes, Addai really didnt have to fight too hard to claim the starting job. Dillon is a proven back, and Maroney has to put in his time and has to outplay someone that has proven himself.

I'll state my OPINION. I have a personal feeling that Maroney will be a top 5 back in the league within the next 2 years. The guy is raw. He needs more reps with the starters so he can create that chemistry. Dillon will not be around forever. He's getting older. I'm not at all disappointed with J Addai, but before last years draft, the Colts were huge on Maroney. That was by far their target. When the Pats swooped him up, the Colts took option 2 in Addai. Addai just so happened to get more playing time, and with a fill in starter in Rhodes, Addai really didnt have to fight too hard to claim the starting job. Dillon is a proven back, and Maroney has to put in his time and has to outplay someone that has proven himself.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the Pats scheme does not necessarily lend itself to bearing a top 5 back.

There are also the LTs, LJs, SJax's, Westbrooks, and lots of other young backs in the league right now with oodles of potential.

Honestly, I think that calling a back 'top 5' is really difficult to do right now. I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I see a top 2-4 backs, and then a slew of decent options across the league that, when combined with the RBBC mentality that is spreading, will make that tier very tough to prognosticate.

Maroney seems to be one of the classic cases where he gets better the more he gets used. You often see the guys that aren't in a rhythm do some dancing, trying to force the big play. Wait til this youngster gets enough reps to get his rhythm, then wait for the 4th quarter. Beast in the making.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the Pats scheme does not necessarily lend itself to bearing a top 5 back.

There are also the LTs, LJs, SJax's, Westbrooks, and lots of other young backs in the league right now with oodles of potential.

Honestly, I think that calling a back 'top 5' is really difficult to do right now. I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I see a top 2-4 backs, and then a slew of decent options across the league that, when combined with the RBBC mentality that is spreading, will make that tier very tough to prognosticate.

You want to know who Maroney most reminds me of - which leads me to my opinion? A 3rd year player for the St. Loius Rams. In Steven Jackson's 1st year in the league, he was behind Marshall Faulk. No one thought that 2004 would be Faulks last "good" year (ie. Dillon for the Pats). In Jackson's 2nd year (splitting carries with Faulk) he finished the season as the league's 14th best rusher in total rushing yards for the season. This year (which so happens to be his 3rd year) he finished 5th. Maroney in my opinion does not only have the same hair stylist that Jackson does, but has the same ability in power rushing, blocking, and a receiving. With time and reps with the 1st team, he will become a true threat at RB.

You want to know who Maroney most reminds me of - which leads me to my opinion? A 3rd year player for the St. Loius Rams. In Steven Jackson's 1st year in the league, he was behind Marshall Faulk. No one thought that 2004 would be Faulks last "good" year (ie. Dillon for the Pats). In Jackson's 2nd year (splitting carries with Faulk) he finished the season as the league's 14th best rusher in total rushing yards for the season. This year (which so happens to be his 3rd year) he finished 5th. Maroney in my opinion does not only have the same hair stylist that Jackson does, but has the same ability in power rushing, blocking, and a receiving. With time and reps with the 1st team, he will become a true threat at RB.

Quite possibly the most intelligent thing I've seen posted on here from you ever.

Quite possibly the most intelligent thing I've seen posted on here from you ever.

There's been other things as well.. I'm not at all dumb or ignorant as others may want to make me look. I'm not old by any means for I'm only 28 so I cant say that I've followed the NFL for a long time, but for the past 13 or 14 years now I follow it pretty hardcore year round. I do voice a lot of opinions, whether it be here ar work, or on a message board like this, and I love a good debate. The thing that really got me going was that one opinion of mine, and something that I heard on the radio from the source itself last week was COMPLETELY blown out of proportion. Oh well.. Not at all trying to justify myself, for I dont need to.. :D

so true. from season to season, week to week you just never know what you're getting from the NE offense except for Brady's ~25 pass TDs.

Maroney could easily duplicate Dillon's friggin sweet '04 season (best 3-4 round FF pick I ever made) but I'm willing to bet a large part of that could be attributed to Weis.

EDIT: imo, Dillon will be back next year. even if he chose to leave there's no way he gets anything close to what he's scheduled to make on the open market. that said Maroney's time will come either this season or the next because while NE still seems to go pass whacky they were 6th in rush attempts. Dillon's monster '04 season came even with Faulk doing almost all the 3rd down work.

Edited by kingfish247

There's been other things as well.. I'm not at all dumb or ignorant as others may want to make me look. I'm not old by any means for I'm only 28 so I cant say that I've followed the NFL for a long time, but for the past 13 or 14 years now I follow it pretty hardcore year round. I do voice a lot of opinions, whether it be here ar work, or on a message board like this, and I love a good debate. The thing that really got me going was that one opinion of mine, and something that I heard on the radio from the source itself last week was COMPLETELY blown out of proportion. Oh well.. Not at all trying to justify myself, for I dont need to.. :D

I'll admit that you clearly do know football (I won't call you uneducated or unknowledgable), and in posts like this, you ceratinly prove it. You definitely have solid potential around here, and I love to debate football. However, you are pushing blame away from that other thread. My problem was never your opinion, my problem was your childish namecalling and personal attacks. However, I agree that it was completely blown out of proportion, and from my position, is over and done with. At least, after this post. :D

IMHO, I don't see Maroney in this class. He's primarily a speed guy who gathered most of his college stats on the carpet in the Metrodome. If he can get the corner, he's liable to break it, but he doesn't appear to have the power to break tackles inside and turn a 2 yard gain into a 7 yard one.

And comparing Maroney to Jackson is misleading. Maroney is listed at 5'11"-220lbs. Jackson is 6'2"-230lbs. Pretty big difference.

Um beg to differ with the big difference part here!!!! 5' 11 at 220 and 6' 2 at 230 is only a 3 inch and 10 pound difference!!!!

:D

Umm...3 inches and 10 pounds is an enormous difference in body type.

That's not to say that Maroney can;t be a successful runner between the tackles. He will have a lower CG and be able to get lower than SJax. But their builds are significantly different.

No Concerns. Maroney got slightly more of the work this season than I had predicted he would, and I imagine that was in an effort to keep Dillon strong down the stretch.

I am not 100% that the team will bring Dillon back next season, but if they do, then I would expect the trend of Dillon/Maroney from this year to reverse itself. Kevin Faulk will still get a good percentage of the touches as well.

The thing that concerns me about Maroney is that he has taken to dancing behind the line instead of hitting the hole strong. He needs to learn to stop dancing.

i keep seeing people say that about maroney...that hes taken to dancing....i dunno what most patriots fans have been watching...but it seems like every time he takes a handoff theres a defender 2 feet in front of him...not much for him to do but run into the guy and take a 2-3 yard loss...or try to make a move

i think the patriots were trying to spring big plays out of maroney later in the season...when they are calling plays for dillon, they would get some push up front...maroneys plays never got much of a chance to develop..i think alot of the blocking schemes for maroney were a bit more complex and they werent being executed very well...and jesus...itd be nice to see mcdaniels call a toss sweep for him once in a while too...

i keep seeing people say that about maroney...that hes taken to dancing....i dunno what most patriots fans have been watching...but it seems like every time he takes a handoff theres a defender 2 feet in front of him...not much for him to do but run into the guy and take a 2-3 yard loss...or try to make a move

i think the patriots were trying to spring big plays out of maroney later in the season...when they are calling plays for dillon, they would get some push up front...maroneys plays never got much of a chance to develop..i think alot of the blocking schemes for maroney were a bit more complex and they werent being executed very well...and jesus...itd be nice to see mcdaniels call a toss sweep for him once in a while too...

Every snap of every game. And Maroney had been dancing regularly.

When Dillon is running he sees the same thing, but he hits the hole with authority and manages to gain a couple of yards....

But if Dillon's back next year and Faulk continues to get 3rd down play, how much of an impact will he have?

For the life of me, I still can't figure out what NE is doing giving Faulk so many touches when they've got both Dillon and Maroney just itching to get the ball. It makes me shake my head in wonder every time.

Hmmmm, as opposed to the delayed draws that were doing nothing but giving the defense time to penetrate into the backfield?

thats what im saying....and caveman nick....corey hits a hole because the are getting a good push...keeping it simple because corey doesnt have much of a burst...with maroney they are running some more complicated stuff..some stuff that may take a bit more time to develop...and it looks like a bit of poor execution and a lack of experience on maroneys part

For the life of me, I still can't figure out what NE is doing giving Faulk so many touches when they've got both Dillon and Maroney just itching to get the ball. It makes me shake my head in wonder every time.

My feeling is that Belichick really likes veterans and feels more comfortable heading into the playoffs with Faulk than giving Maroney (an unknown) his duties. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if both Dillon and Faulk are gone next year as cap casualties.

1) He's their best blocking RB, and gets a lot of time when the team is in the shotgun and

2) he's very productive with his touches.

3) and BB loves him.

My feeling is that Belichick really likes veterans and feels more comfortable heading into the playoffs with Faulk than giving Maroney (an unknown) his duties. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if both Dillon and Faulk are gone next year as cap casualties.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dillon is a cap casualty, but Faulk is invaluable as a 3rd down back, not to mention his special teams work (can return punts and kickoffs). He isn't the the main returner anymore (Maroney and Hobbs are much faster), but he's someone Bill can rely on if someone gets hurt or a case of the fumbles.

:D

Umm...3 inches and 10 pounds is an enormous difference in body type.

That's not to say that Maroney can;t be a successful runner between the tackles. He will have a lower CG and be able to get lower than SJax. But their builds are significantly different.

He's about the same size as Portis. I'd take Portis' numbers any day of the week...