[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Pass Interference

TheGrunt

As much as I hate to bring this up, especially because I'm MUCH happier watching the Colts play in the Super Bowl over the Patriots, but I'm skeptical this near end of the game no-call pass interference on 3rd and 6 from the 10 was a good decision.

:D

I'm really not trying to take away from the Colts victory here, but seriously... this is some pretty rough defense after the pass is already in the air. Good call? :D

Hayden was all over Caldwell, and taking you back to last years Super Bowl (and in most games played during this years regular season) I've seen a pass interference called for much less than what we see here. This call would have definitely changed the entire outcome of the game IMO.

I think it could have gone either way. Yes he makes contact, but did it really impede Caldwell from making the catch? It's not enough just to make contact, you have to impede their ability to catch.

Bottom line is it wasn't called, it doesn't seem like NE is all up in arms about it, and there is no reason to stir the pot after the fact. Every team gets a few calls called in their favor and a few against them. This just appears to benifit the Colts.

I think it could have gone either way. Yes he makes contact, but did it really impede Caldwell from making the catch? It's not enough just to make contact, you have to impede their ability to catch.

Bottom line is it wasn't called, it doesn't seem like NE is all up in arms about it, and there is no reason to stir the pot after the fact. Every team gets a few calls called in their favor and a few against them. This just appears to benifit the Colts.

Totally agree with you here. I probably didn't make it more clear in the above post, but I'm siding with the no-call on this one. I just wanted to see what others thoughts on it were because I don't remember hearing much about it after the fact. While I totally agree with how things transpired, it is one of those close-call plays that luckly sided with the better team.

The reason for this is that even with this call, NE still had the ball and a chance to seal the deal with 3:40 to go. Make no mistake, though...I think that saying it 'could have gone either way' is a cop out. It was a horrendous non call. An endzone mugging.

Kind of made up for Reggie Wayne being run off of a deep pattern, didn't it? And make no mistake, part of the reason the Pats were even in the AFC title game (along with some serious SD miscues) is the mugging that their DBs are allowed all over the field.

Oh well, at least the Pats' fans can cling to the mantra that the only way they can lose in the playoffs is if the refs let the other team cheat.

Just my :D, but part of the reason it was not called is the fact that his head was turned towards the ball and "appears" to be going for a pic. It was close, but hard to call in real time, I imagine.

Kind of made up for Reggie Wayne being run off of a deep pattern, didn't it? And make no mistake, part of the reason the Pats were even in the AFC title game (along with some serious SD miscues) is the mugging that their DBs are allowed all over the field.

Oh well, at least the Pats' fans can cling to the mantra that the only way they can lose in the playoffs is if the refs let the other team cheat.

:D:D .....

about what I would expect from you :D

Bottom line is it wasn't called, it doesn't seem like NE is all up in arms about it, and there is no reason to stir the pot after the fact.

It's because their President/GM/CEO isn't named Bill Polian.

And make no mistake, part of the reason the Pats were even in the AFC title game (along with some serious SD miscues) is the mugging that their DBs are allowed all over the field.

In 2003, before they clamped down on the illegal contact (partly because of Polian's :D), that's the style the Pats used against the Colts. They have changed with the rules, and they aren't any more physical with WRs then any other team in the league.

Edited by charty

The reason for this is that even with this call, NE still had the ball and a chance to seal the deal with 3:40 to go. Make no mistake, though...I think that saying it 'could have gone either way' is a cop out. It was a horrendous non call. An endzone mugging.

:D:D

I like the fact the refs let them play. Just because this one play happened at crunch-time, and thus stands out, doesn't negate all the other contact that went on throughout the game.

IMO, it would have bene a bigger disgrace if the refs had decided to throw a flag on this play.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Actually, I haven't seen any Pats fans take that stance. That stance is reserved for the weak.

I didn't even have to click the link... I knew exactly which play you were talking about. It was a very bad non-call on an obvious pass intereference IMO. And keep in mind that I wanted the Patriots to lose this game because of Ugly Tuna.

I have to say, I thought there were two bad calls in that game. The PI on Hobbs against Wayne in the end zone was also a bad call. I don't think Hobbs even made contact with Reggie, and there is no face-guarding penaltly in the NFL.

The non-call against Hayden should have been a penalty. If what Hobbs did was PI, then what Hayden did was too.

I think the fact that the refs picked up a flag against Hobbs in the first half in the end zone, made it highly unlikely that they overrule the second one.

I did however see several things go uncalled in the Pats favor. They were still being allowed contact after five yards. Saw it several times, trying to shove guys off their routes. And Wilkins was face masked on TWO kick-off returns, one time it even tore off his helmet. No call.

Pats had every opportunity to win that game. If the home team gets a couple favorable calls, I can live with that. Cause it sure as hell happened when the Colts went up to New England.

I seem to recall a few years back, the Pats DBs mugging Harrison and Wayne all game long and it wasnt called. Take away some of that BS and the tuck rule and the Pats would be lucky to get 1 title, let alone 3.

Little Bills MO is cheat, and if you get caught, we will take it. But if you aint cheating you and trying.

I have to say, I thought there were two bad calls in that game. The PI on Hobbs against Wayne in the end zone was also a bad call. I don't think Hobbs even made contact with Reggie, and there is no face-guarding penaltly in the NFL.

The non-call against Hayden should have been a penalty. If what Hobbs did was PI, then what Hayden did was too.

I think the fact that the refs picked up a flag against Hobbs in the first half in the end zone, made it highly unlikely that they overrule the second one.

I did however see several things go uncalled in the Pats favor. They were still being allowed contact after five yards. Saw it several times, trying to shove guys off their routes. And Wilkins was face masked on TWO kick-off returns, one time it even tore off his helmet. No call.

Pats had every opportunity to win that game. If the home team gets a couple favorable calls, I can live with that. Cause it sure as hell happened when the Colts went up to New England.

That was a tough one to talk about, because there didn't seem to be enough camera angle to show if contact happened. It actually looked like there was contact, but because Wayne extended his arms forward towards Hobbs. I didn't like it, but was not going to lose my mind over it. It was the combination o this call, the phantom offensive pass interference call on Troy Brown, and the non-call on Reche as a combination that had the hairs on the back of my neck at attention.

But, again, even with all of these calls the Pats could have won it had they just executed in the last 4 minutes. They failed.

ok Nick, we agree about the PI calls, but calling the offensive pass interference call on Brown "phantom" is dead wrong. He BLOCKS a DB as the pass is being thrown. He uses both arms to push him. It was a pick play, and an easy call.

ok Nick, we agree about the PI calls, but calling the offensive pass interference call on Brown "phantom" is dead wrong. He BLOCKS a DB as the pass is being thrown. He uses both arms to push him. It was a pick play, and an easy call.

The bump looked to be to be within 5 yards of the line, and the DB was impeding his route.

That's not PI.

Granted, I can only go on memory of the call because I can't find footage. It looked like a bad interpretation of the rule you are citing to me.