[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Bush

Sgt. Ryan

SAN DIEGO -- The existence of taped conversations between Reggie Bush or members of his family and an investor in a failed sports marketing agency could confirm the New Orleans Saints running back received cash and gifts while playing for Southern California, Yahoo.com reported Wednesday.

A federal investigation into extortion claims by Bush and his family revealed the existence of the taped conversations, according to the Yahoo.com report.

The U.S. Attorney's office in San Diego has issued grand jury subpoenas to multiple witnesses in the probe, Yahoo.com reported. According to a copy of a subpoena obtained by Yahoo, at least one of the witnesses was asked to hand over "any recordings in your possession of conversations between Lloyd Lake and Reggie Bush, Denise Griffin or LaMar Griffin."

Lake, who founded a sports marketing agency in hopes of landing Bush as its first client, is the subject of a grand jury probe into the extortion claims. Denise Griffin is Bush's mother, and LaMar Griffin is Bush's stepfather.

Yahoo.com, citing unidentified sources, reported LaMar Griffin spoke with federal investigators in the spring of 2006 and acknowledged the existence of the tapes.

"We're aware of an investigation into possible criminal conduct by Lake and others associated with him," Bush attorney David Cornwell told ESPN's Joe Schad on Wednesday. "We have and will continue to cooperate with the Department of Justice."

When asked in the past about the allegations of receiving inappropriate extra benefits, Bush has insisted that he and his family did nothing wrong.

Multiple sources told Yahoo.com that Lake made the tapes in late 2005 to protect his financial investment if Bush backed out of a deal to sign with New Era Sports & Entertainment, founded by Lake and San Diego businessman Michael Michaels. In January 2006, Bush signed with agent Joel Segal and marketing agent Mike Ornstein.

On Jan. 12, 2007, Lake's mother, Barbara Gunner, testified before a grand jury, according to the Yahoo.com report, that she had heard portions of tapes made by her son, in which LaMar Griffin states Bush intended to repay New Era Sports "their money," as well as for a car purchased for him.

"I respectfully decline to comment on the media frenzy regarding Reggie Bush, his family and his college career," Cornwell told Yahoo on Wednesday.

Lake told Yahoo in August 2006 that he contributed a portion of the cash and gifts allegedly given to Bush and his family as part of an agreement to represent the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner when he signed an NFL contract. In September, Yahoo.com reported Ornstein also supplied Bush and his family with gifts while he was still at USC.

According to Yahoo.com, nearly $280,000 in cash, rent and gifts was allegedly given to Bush and his family.

The Pac-10 Conference and the NCAA are investigating whether Bush or his family broke NCAA rules and compromised his eligibility during the 2004 and '05 seasons by taking extra benefits.

If Bush is found to have violated NCAA rules, USC, which won a national title in '04 and played for the '05 championship, could be sanctioned.

Also, the Heisman Trophy Trust requires players be in good standing with the NCAA to be eligible for the award given to college football's top player. If Bush is ruled ineligible by the NCAA, he could be in danger of having his Heisman taken away.

Looks like Vince will get the Heisman he deserves, and SC should get probation they deserve. Unless of course this is like the Mark Sanchez rape case, that was brushed under the rug by LA police. :D

Looks like Vince will get the Heisman he deserves, and SC should get probation they deserve. Unless of course this is like the Mark Sanchez rape case, that was brushed under the rug by LA police. :D

Well, not every program can be as scandal-free as Oklahoma has been over the years.

The only bad part is, if Bush did do this, there are no repercussions on him. Only the Univerisity will get punished. Everyone knows its against the rules and it keeps happening because the players are not held accountable, only the school is. There needs to be repercussions for both.

Couple of things...

Yahoo.com reported Wednesday.

I don't know why but it cracked me up that Yahoo is getting into "serious" reporting.

and San Diego businessman Michael Michaels.

Once you turn 18 years old wouldn't you immediately file to change your name?

and SC should get probation they deserve.

I understand that Reggie Bush may have done something wrong, but if they College had no knowledge of this, then why should they deserve probation?

I understand that Reggie Bush may have done something wrong, but if they College had no knowledge of this, then why should they deserve probation?

I don't know why I think this but I suspect Sarge's opinion here may have more to do with undercutting a top rival than with a sense of justice and fair play. :D

I don't know why I think this but I suspect Sarge's opinion here may have more to do with undercutting a top rival than with a sense of justice and fair play. :D

Lets see, Jarrett accepts rent at a discounted rate, only to pay back leinarts dad once he turns pro. Bush accepts hundred of thousands of dollars, Mark Sanchez rapes a girl and it disappears, and one after one, they seem to be swept under the rug.

Justice is to give the Heisman who it truley belongs too, and Sc to forfeit games Bush appeared in, period.

if i was VY why would I want the heisman now? I mean he didnt win it :D ....yeah sure Granda Pa Vince some time in the future with a grandkid on his lap....

Kid: Grandpa whats that trophy for?

GVY: That is given to the best player in the country in College Football, Its the HEISMAN TROPY

Kid: Wow grandpa you won that trophy because you were the best player in College Football!!!...I didnt know the guy that does Monday Nite Football had a trophy named after him

GVY: Well I didnt exactly win it, the guy that won it gotten it taken away from him.

Kid: WHY?

GVY: Because he got caught taking money prior to graduation and thats illegal so since I didnt get caught I got the award.

Kid: Oh so you werent the best college football player in the country that year...thats ok your my best grandpa

GVY: Oh thanks Vinny the 3rd your the best grandkid I have that I know about

please note that the above conversation is tongue in cheek...dont want to get anyones panties in a bunch

Edited by keggerz

Problem was Vince was the best player in college football. Hell Vince single handedly slayed the so called best college football team of all time, with the greatest individual performance Ive ever seen. You think if the trophy was given out after the bowl games, Reggie would have still won it. me Neither.

The only bad part is, if Bush did do this, there are no repercussions on him. Only the Univerisity will get punished. Everyone knows its against the rules and it keeps happening because the players are not held accountable, only the school is. There needs to be repercussions for both.

So what exactly do you propose for a repercussion for the player? If they are in school, they can lose their eligibility. But after they graduate or go off to the NFL, there isn't anything that can be done. Reggie, while I'm sure he would like to keep his Heisman Trophy, probably won't lose too much sleep if it's taken away from it. Ditto about their national championship if that was taken away as well. Would giving either the trophy or the championship to the runner-ups mean anything? Not really. Bush has is NFL contract and his fame and fortune. No matter what happens that's not going to change. The only thing in this case that it would hurt would be the university...all for something that it didn't appear to have any direct control or real involvement with anyways.

So what exactly do you propose for a repercussion for the player? If they are in school, they can lose their eligibility. But after they graduate or go off to the NFL, there isn't anything that can be done. Reggie, while I'm sure he would like to keep his Heisman Trophy, probably won't lose too much sleep if it's taken away from it. Ditto about their national championship if that was taken away as well. Would giving either the trophy or the championship to the runner-ups mean anything? Not really. Bush has is NFL contract and his fame and fortune. No matter what happens that's not going to change. The only thing in this case that it would hurt would be the university...all for something that it didn't appear to have any direct control or real involvement with anyways.

Excuse me, but if I'm not mistaken, if a person intentionally misrepresents their position specifically in order to receive compensation, that constitutes fraud. Fraud, if I am not mistaken, is a criminal offense.

If Bush knowingly took compensation in the order of $280,000 and yet represented himself to USC as an amatuer for scholarship purposes to compete on their football team, I believe that all the elements of fraud are in place.

Edited by Bronco Billy

You're right, losing Heisman trophies and championships is not a penalty. How about a 1 year league suspension? How far would his draft position fall if there was a possibility that the team that drafted him would be without him for a year? That significantly impacts his fame and fortune. This is under the assumption that the NFL cares about the character of the players entering the league which may not be entirely accurate?

I think as punishment they should take away his 2006 salary and make him re-enter the 2007 NFL draft. Then let him get drafted by the Texans (I would surely hope that they wouldn't pass him up this time). That should be punishment enough. :D

You're right, losing Heisman trophies and championships is not a penalty. How about a 1 year league suspension? How far would his draft position fall if there was a possibility that the team that drafted him would be without him for a year? That significantly impacts his fame and fortune. This is under the assumption that the NFL cares about the character of the players entering the league which may not be entirely accurate?

There's no way IMO that the Player's Union would allow the NFL to punish a player or his current team for something that they did while they were still a student and in no way affiliated with the league.

Okay, after a small excursion into West's:

Criminal Offense - Property Crime - Obtaining Goods by False Pretenses

Elements of Fraud:

1) A misrepresentation of material facts must occur. Check

2) There must be an intent to deceive. Check

3) The innocent party must justifiably rely on the misrepresentation. Check

4) The innocent party must also have been injured. Would happen if USC is sanctioned. You could reasonably argue that their image & name has been injured even without sanctions.

I'm no lawyer, but this looks like a viable course of action to me.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Bush may have all the money in the world, but like any other criminal, will answer for his past at some time. Just think when his kids, grand kids and great grand kids read he is the only football player ever to have the heisman trophy taken away from him, because he committed fraud. Bush is an embarassment to himself, his school, and now the Saints. He has no Character, class, or common sense. He is as selfish as any player in the last 20 yrs, and that is before he did a thing in the NFL. As talented as he is on the football field, he is that big a punk off of it. People compare him to Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders and Marshall Faulk. This kid should instead be compared to Jamal Lewis, Bam Morris and OJ Simpson. Criminals who thought they were above the law.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Bush may have all the money in the world, but like any other criminal, will answer for his past at some time. Just think when his kids, grand kids and great grand kis read, he is the only football player to ever have the heisman trophy taken away from him because he committed fraud. Bush is an embarassment to himself, his school, and now the Saints. He is no Character, class, or common sense. He is as selfish as any player in the last 20 yrs, and that is before he did a thing in the NFL. As talented as he is on the football field, he is that big a punk off of it.

Damn. I agree with Sarge completely here.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue...