[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some think Urlacher is overrated...

rocknrobn26

Urlacher is extremley good, but does not deserve to be compared to either of those guys. Urlacher, as far as the runninggame goes is only as good as his defensive tackles, he cant shake any blocks off of him. With that being said, he is the fastest, and in my opinion, most athletically gifted backer of all time. He'll get his chance at being an all time great in a year or two, when his body starts to wear down. In my opinion, thats when you can make the leap from being extremley good, to one of the greatest...

So i'm not calling him overrated.

Oh, and as far as running down Reggie Bush...

Remember, Bush was too busy looking behind him and taunting. No one in the league can run Bush down if he's not being a jackass.

Was surprised this wasn't brought up earlier in the thread. GJ :D

I don't think he is overrated by any means, but other people on that team really free him up to go make the tackles.

I don't think he is overrated by any means, but other people on that team really free him up to go make the tackles.

After Washington and Traylor left, Urlacher got pounded up the middle and had some injury problems. Having Harris/Tank/Scott at DT has certainly helped him play the run again. He's much better at playing the run laterally or dropping back into coverage, where he can use his speed to make plays. IMO, he'd be better as an ILB in a 3-4 or an OLB in a 4-3.

My favorite Urlacher play is when The Bus ran right over him for a TD in last year's Steelers-Bears game.

My second favorite Urlacher moment is when speedy Tom Brady juked him this past season.

I'm afraid he's not in the same league as the others mentioned in this thread.

Yeah....those were my faves too! :D:D

The Bears have 3 MLB in the HoF. Urlacher could/should be the fourth!

What's noticeable about Butkus was that he punished guys, but he still wrapped them up.

It seems like a lot of guys go for that big hit, with the tackle itself almost an afterthought.

Nowadays, defensive tackling seems to be geared more towards forcing fumbles than wrapping up and bringing players down.

It's always fun to drop this story:

I was watching a Bears/Packer game during Urlacher's rookie year, and Bill "I'm a f*cking idiot who can only ape the Madden/Millen schtick" Maas was doing the commentary. It was obvious from the easy chair that Urlacher was having a rough day, but Maas, who is paid to notice such things, somehow did not - and it was also apparent that Urlacher as the "next great Bears LB" was Maas' storyline that he was gonna stick to come hell or high water.

So, late 3rd/early 4ht or so, Maas is talking up Url, and they run his "highlight reel" which consisted of:

- Url getting turned around in coverage and giving up a td pass

- Url filling the whole and getting de-cleated by FB William Henderson

- Url chasing down the play, WAAAAAAAAY overpursuing and being responsible for about a 20 yd gain on the cutback

The best part was that Maas didn't seem to notice that Url was having a rough game until about midway through the 3rd play - "Oh, this kid is already great, awesome physical tools, makes a ton of plays and the offense HAS to account for him..... :D .....um.....he's obviously not having one of his better games today though."

(Note: this story's purpose is to point out what a maroon Maas is; Urlacher has more than lived up to his advance billing)

It's always fun to drop this story:

I was watching a Bears/Packer game during Urlacher's rookie year, and Bill "I'm a f*cking idiot who can only ape the Madden/Millen schtick" Maas was doing the commentary. It was obvious from the easy chair that Urlacher was having a rough day, but Maas, who is paid to notice such things, somehow did not - and it was also apparent that Urlacher as the "next great Bears LB" was Maas' storyline that he was gonna stick to come hell or high water.

So, late 3rd/early 4ht or so, Maas is talking up Url, and they run his "highlight reel" which consisted of:

- Url getting turned around in coverage and giving up a td pass

- Url filling the whole and getting de-cleated by FB William Henderson

- Url chasing down the play, WAAAAAAAAY overpursuing and being responsible for about a 20 yd gain on the cutback

The best part was that Maas didn't seem to notice that Url was having a rough game until about midway through the 3rd play - "Oh, this kid is already great, awesome physical tools, makes a ton of plays and the offense HAS to account for him..... :D .....um.....he's obviously not having one of his better games today though."

(Note: this story's purpose is to point out what a maroon Maas is; Urlacher has more than lived up to his advance billing)

:bash:

My best announcer story is baseball, and the late great Jack Brickhouse. He was broadcasting Cubs/Sox/Bears games since the forties. In the 70's he was missin' a lot on the field. Oldtimer's Disease! 2 outs and the guy hits the ball and the CF missed it. Brickhouse's commentary went like this..."Well that's 3 up and 3 down, no runs, no hits, no errors......Wait a second....check that!". Mind you the camera was following the whole play whilst he was talking! And by the time he caught it the guy was on second base! :D

:bash:

My best announcer story is baseball, and the late great Jack Brickhouse. He was broadcasting Cubs/Sox/Bears games since the forties. In the 70's he was missin' a lot on the field. Oldtimer's Disease! 2 outs and the guy hits the ball and the CF missed it. Brickhouse's commentary went like this..."Well that's 3 up and 3 down, no runs, no hits, no errors......Wait a second....check that!". Mind you the camera was following the whole play whilst he was talking! And by the time he caught it the guy was on second base! :D

:D

You can't top Harry Caray's bit when the camera was on the two lovebirds who kept kissing - "they have a system - he kisses her on the strikes, and she kisses him on the balls"

Yeah....those were my faves too! :D:D

The Bears have 3 MLB in the HoF. Urlacher could/should be the fourth!

Look at this way, if Urlacher wasn't as good as he is, people wouldn't be making a big deal about Bettis running him over. Bettis was a hugh running back and ran over many LB's in his playing days. The fact that his running over Urlacher is seen as significant tells me how good Urlacher is.