[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you were looking at a HC position...

CarryTheRock

I find it odd that the Cowboys already hired Jason Garrett as OC. On top of that keeping him on a string by telling him he may still be HC. Wouldn't you want the chance to hire your own staff if you were coming in as head coach? If not that, wouldn't you hope that they didn't already have a guy for you to look over your shoulder more than ususal?

Seems that teams are trying to lock in quality assistants even if they belong to another coaches staff who is no longer there. The Dolphins gave Dom Capers a contract extension making him the highest paid Asst. coach in the NFL before they had a head coach. Capers even interviewed for the HC position. When they interviewed Cameron, one of the first things Randy Mueller did was to inquire as to see if Cameron would be willing to take on Capers as a Def. Cord. Cameron and Capers met for a few hours and came out all smiles.

Even tough the Dolphins were looking for a HC, they didn't want Capers to leave and go to another team. They knew they had one of the top Def. coaches in the league and wanted to keep him with the organization.

If this were a baseball farm system, Garrett has been moved up from A ball to AAA ball. The Cowboys see him as a future commodity that they want to remain in Dallas.

Edited by 'canes2004

Seems that teams are trying to lock in quality assistants even if they belong to another coaches staff who is no longer there. The Dolphins gave Dom Capers a contract extension making him the highest paid Asst. coach in the NFL before they had a head coach.

Correct. The only reason you don't hear more about this is b/c it was the Dolphins, not the Cowboys. Does'nt matter that several teams were trying to talk to Garrett the last few years and Miami would'nt let them. It only matters that since Jones did this, it must be idiotic.

Correct. The only reason you don't hear more about this is b/c it was the Dolphins, not the Cowboys. Does'nt matter that several teams were trying to talk to Garrett the last few years and Miami would'nt let them. It only matters that since Jones did this, it must be idiotic.

Good point. Ironic, I was just watching the Super Bowl highlights of the Cowboys-Steelers in Super Bowl 30 and they showed Garrett about three times relaying the play into Aikmen.

I find it odd that the Cowboys already hired Jason Garrett as OC. On top of that keeping him on a string by telling him he may still be HC. Wouldn't you want the chance to hire your own staff if you were coming in as head coach? If not that, wouldn't you hope that they didn't already have a guy for you to look over your shoulder more than ususal?

If I wanted to be a head coach in the NFL, I wouldn't care. Obviously, a perfect situation would be to choose who works under you, but it's the Dallas Cowboys you're talking about. You know going in that you're hands are partially tied.

Besides, the nature of the coaching profession is such that there is ALWAYS someone to look over your shoulder for.

(Jan. 24, 2007) -- No class is any more famous than the quarterbacks from 1983. But the coaching class of 2008 has the potential to rival it.

Next offseason, teams in search of head coaches could be choosing from a field that includes former Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher, Tennessee's Jeff Fisher, Chicago's Lovie Smith, San Diego's Marty Schottenheimer, maybe Bill Parcells and possibly even New England's Bill Belichick.

Wow.

Titans head coach Jeff Fisher is one of several coaches who could hit the open market.

Titans head coach Jeff Fisher is one of several coaches who could hit the open market.

Cowher is free to sign with any team after next season, one year after Pittsburgh did not offer him fair market value.

Fisher, according to a source, is not expected to get a contract extension with Tennessee, which would make him a free agent after next season.

Smith and the Bears have been talking, but nothing has materialized and there's no reason for Chicago's coach to sell himself short when he has a Super Bowl on his resume.

Schottenheimer and the Chargers are a divorce waiting to happen after San Diego offered its coach a $4.5 million contract that included a $1 million buyout.

Parcells is apt to return to coaching at any time, as his history indicates.

And maybe, most interesting, multiple sources around the league believe that Belichick's contract, which does have three years remaining on it, is filled with mutual options that could allow him or the team to nullify the deal as early as next year.

Wow.

Not only are these coaches' contractual situations looming over next season, they loom over this one as well. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is aware of the bountiful coaching Class of 2008, and it could impact whom he chooses to coach his team in '07.

Had Parcells stayed for one more year, it would have perfectly positioned Jones for 2008, when the most famous class of coaches would become available. But now Jones is in a holding pattern.

If Jones wanted to hire a caretaker or some type of coach in an experimental role -- such as former Cowboys quarterback Jason Garrett -- then he would be free to hire a big-name coach to help usher in the new stadium he is opening in 2009.

Garrett became the first outside-the-organization candidate to interview with Jones this week. The two met on Jan. 24. It is unclear whether Jones views Garrett more as a head coaching candidate or the offensive coordinator, but it is confirmed that the Cowboys owner knows he must hire somebody who is going to continue to develop his Pro Bowl quarterback, Tony Romo. This is imperative to Jones.

But he also might find it imperative to attack the Class of 2008, the same way the Giants, Redskins, Panthers, Browns and Chargers could.

Right now, the NFL is wrapping up one of its most successful postseasons. But next offseason already is looming as one of the most intriguing in its history.

And here's one last thought on the topic that's not entirely outlandish to ponder: Just how much money would Redskins owner Daniel Snyder pay for a guy like Belichick? Enough to alter the coaching salary structure, that's for sure.

Since Norv is an offensive-minded coach I wonder if he and Garrett will work well together. I can understand the point made of wanting to hire Garrett as OC before hiring the HC because they believe he's the best man for the job in Jones' eyes. It still is a slap in the face to the incoming head coach in the owner's not sure his choice for OC would be the best one for the team. Is this something that Turner would have a hard time dealing with? Only time will tell in seeing if he takes the job. He's been in the orginization before so he knows how Jerry Jones is. It all comes down to how bad Norv wants to be a head coach again. Personally I'm hoping he stays with the 9ers. He's made progress with the team in a couple of years and if he leaves it'll surely have an effect on young QB Alex Smith. The San Francisco orginization did the right thing in offering Norv a raise and incentive package to stay. I just hope he turns down the Cowboys HC job and stays with the 49ers. Ohyeah, thens there's the fact of dealing with Terrell Owens. There's probably other qualified guys out there for the head coaching job in Dallas that would turn the job down alone on having to deal with TO :D

Jone's 3 rings are ancient history to me, I want new rings!

I'd like some new ones too, just tired of hearing horrible an owner Jones is. I wish he'd stay off the sidelines during games and allow whoever he hires to run the draft and the team. The guy wants to win and will spend the $$ or do whatever else he thinks will make the team better.

And maybe, most interesting, multiple sources around the league believe that Belichick's contract, which does have three years remaining on it, is filled with mutual options that could allow him or the team to nullify the deal as early as next year.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I get the feeling that Bob Kraft will pay Bill Belichick whatever he wants to get paid to stay.

I'd like some new ones too, just tired of hearing horrible an owner Jones is. I wish he'd stay off the sidelines during games and allow whoever he hires to run the draft and the team. The guy wants to win and will spend the $$ or do whatever else he thinks will make the team better.

His problem is that not he's a "bad owner" it's that he sucks as a GM and wants to making coaching decisions during the games as well.

Jimmy only has 2. :D

Jimmy's team won the third ... and had Jimmy stayed in Dallas he'd have FOUR. I assure a Jimmy Johnson coached team would not have collapsed against SF after half time in the NFC championship game.

I believe I read somewhere that Barry Switzer openly admits he won that SB with Jimmy Johnson's team.

Edited by Grits and Shins

It makes sense to me. It seems pretty obvious that JJ wants to see if he can hire either Ron Rivera or Lovie Smith. If he can't, then he will probably hire Wade Phillips, which is fine with me. The reason he went ahead and hired Garrett was because if he is waiting until after the Super Bowl to hire a H.C., then there is a pretty good probability that most of the good assistance will already have a job. This is the reason I don't think Norv will get the job. JJ will need a defensive minded head coach because more than likely who ever is left to hire as a D-coordinator will be pretty weak, unless he can get someone to make a lateral move. I have no problem with him having already hired Garrett, primarily because it almost guarantees that Norv will not be the H.C.

Jimmy's team won the third ... and had Jimmy stayed in Dallas he'd have FOUR. I assure a Jimmy Johnson coached team would not have collapsed against SF after half time in the NFC championship game.

I believe I read somewhere that Barry Switzer openly admits he won that SB with Jimmy Johnson's team.

I'm not going to dispute any of that, but technically, the group that was there won 3. Jimmy Johnson was certainly a key part to this, as was Troy Aikman, Emmitt, et al, but I don't see how you can't give Jones some of the credit as well.