[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you were looking at a HC position...

CarryTheRock

I'm not going to dispute any of that, but technically, the group that was there won 3. Jimmy Johnson was certainly a key part to this, as was Troy Aikman, Emmitt, et al, but I don't see how you can't give Jones some of the credit as well.

:D

Jones gets credit for bring in Jimmy Johnson. That is the ONLY decision I give credit to JJ for ... he then countered his ONE good decision by running Johnson out of town after his 2nd SB in a row.

Regarding Garrett, I don't think it's the WORST idea, but by the same token, I think an elite HC who can write his own ticket, with a choice of jobs, may balk at having someone who is not "his guy" forced onto his staff.

A coach with less bargaining power would probably take what he could get.

A sensible person would probably talk quite a bit with Garrett BEFORE taking the job to get a feel as to whether or not they could work well together.

Regarding Garrett, I don't think it's the WORST idea, but by the same token, I think an elite HC who can write his own ticket, with a choice of jobs, may balk at having someone who is not "his guy" forced onto his staff.

A coach with less bargaining power would probably take what he could get.

A sensible person would probably talk quite a bit with Garrett BEFORE taking the job to get a feel as to whether or not they could work well together.

How many elite head coaches were looking for jobs when Garrett was hired? None that I can think of, unless you think that JJ is going to offer the Bears the farm for Lovie, and I'm not sure if he is considered elite yet.

I said it in previous threads - Turner will be the next Dallas HC. You can bet Jones has had a pretty good idea about his options all along.

Miami gave Dallas a very small window of opportunity to hire Garret. As Howboutthemcowboys stated, several other teams inquired about him and were shot down. This includes Norv Turner. Not to mention Jones wanted to keep Garret on the staff as a coach before he decided to move on as a player for a few more years. With only a few days granted by Miami to hire Garret, Jones took it. He ensured himself of Garret being on the staff in some capacity.

Turner and Garrett are very familiar with each other, and Turner is a Garrett fan. Jones knows this of course. Its also known that grooming Romo is a high priority in Dallas. Who better than Turner?

Everyones looking for the next Sean Payton. You have to take a chance on some unknowns sometimes to find them. Maybe Garret wont pan out, but then again he may make it as a successful HC someday.

Everyones looking for the next Sean Payton. You have to take a chance on some unknowns sometimes to find them. Maybe Garret wont pan out, but then again he may make it as a successful HC someday.

Well having seen Norv Turner in the HC role it is clear to me that he is certainly not the "next Sean Payton".

How many elite head coaches were looking for jobs when Garrett was hired? None that I can think of, unless you think that JJ is going to offer the Bears the farm for Lovie, and I'm not sure if he is considered elite yet.

I was just sayin' - you think a guy who can punch his own ticket is going to let himself be dictated to, no matter how attractive the job may be (se "Raiders, The Oakland")?