[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marshawn Lynch accused of sexual assault

Randall

Nice way to go into the draft(if he did it).

January 27, 2007, 01:14

NFL, NCAA :: RB

Cal RB M. Lynch Accused Of Sexual Assault

KCBS -

OAKLAND -- A former girlfriend is accusing former Cal star running back Marshawn Lynch of domestic violence and sexual assault.

KCBS has learned the Alameda County District Attorney is reviewing the woman's claims following an Oakland police investigation.

Lynch's attorney Gerry Schwartzbach denies the allegations.

KCBS has confirmed the woman was granted a restraining order against Lynch Friday morning. Schwartzbach says Lynch was unaware of the court hearing and did not attend.

In her complaint, the woman alleges Lynch choked, slapped and sexually assaulted her in Oakland the night of December 13th. She filed the civil complaint on December 19th, according to court documents obtained by KCBS.

Shwartzbach says Lynch was at the woman's home with a friend that night, but denies that any violence or sexual assault took place. He says Lynch was questioned by police and is co-operating with investigators.

Oakland police declined to comment, as did the deputy district attorney handling the case.

Lynch, the Pac-10 offensive player of the year and a first team All-American as a junior last season, left school early to enter the NFL draft. He is considered a likely first round draft choice. His last game for Cal was the Holiday Bowl victory over Texas A&M on December 28th. He attended Oakland Tech high school.

Edited by Randall

Just a girl trying to get some fame...

I'm from the Berkeley area, Marshawn has a lot of respect from the community. Highly doubt this is for real.

:D I suppose it's possible it's a frame to get fame ... but just because folks love an athlete doesn't mean he does right by his lady-friends when out of the PR spotlight ...

Looks like we're in for another Kobe/DukeLacrosse/OJ situation ... and like those, who knows if we'll ever know really what happened or if justice will/was be done ... Dang.

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

I'm from the Berkeley area, Marshawn has a lot of respect from the community. Highly doubt this is for real.

That's certainly possible although going through questioning would get most to give up the charge. We should know more before the draft.

Sounds like a He Said / She Said situation which pretty much never amounts to anything. I'm fairly certain that we'll never know whether this happened or not... in which case I tend to give the person being accused the benefit of the doubt.

link to GBN report

January 29 (8:00 PM): No charges against Cal RB… Charges won't be filed against star California junior RB Marshawn Lynch after an Oakland woman claimed that that he choked, slapped and sexually assaulted her. An Alameda County Superior Court judge had granted the woman a restraining order Friday to the woman, who described herself in court documents as Lynch's ex-girlfriend. However, prosecutors said a lack of evidence, including no visible injuries, a witness' statement contradicting the accuser and inconsistencies in the woman's own story meant the case couldn't go forward. Lynch is expected to be a first-round pick at the 2007 draft where he will likely be one of the top 2 RBs off the board.

Starting to look like a scorned woman looking for an easy payday...

Edited by Bronco Billy

Try money. He's widely regarded a 1st round pick ie instant millionaire - and lo and behold, suddenly someone steps up claiming assult/etc. Timing is sheer coincedecne I'm sure :oldschoolrolleyes:

fn money-grubbin ho's - I swear they're breeding like cockroaches. In fact they should be squashed.

Edited by BeeR

(01-29) 17:10 PST OAKLAND -- No criminal charges will be filed against former Cal football star Marshawn Lynch, who has been accused by his former girlfriend of threatening to kill her and forcing her to touch him sexually, a prosecutor said today.

The 20-year-old Emeryville woman made inconsistent statements to police, and some allegations that she made in an application for a restraining order that was granted by a judge Friday didn't match what she told officers, said Kim Hunter, an Alameda County senior deputy district attorney.

A friend of both Lynch and the woman also told police that there had been no altercation, and the woman, who said she had been choked, didn't show signs of injury, and there were no photographs that could document what she said had occurred, Hunter said.

Taken together, Hunter said she didn't think prosecutors could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime had occurred.

"No one is saying that the victim isn't entitled to the feelings she's having, but I have an ethical obligation," she said. "If I don't believe I can prove it to 12 jurors, then I can't ethically charge the case."

Lynch's attorney, M. Gerald Schwartzbach, said today, "I'm very pleased that the district attorney objectively evaluated the results of the (police) investigation."

Lynch, 20, announced earlier this month that he was leaving Cal and declaring himself eligible for the NFL draft. He is expected to be a first-round draft pick.

Lynch and the woman had dated while they both attended Oakland Technical High School.

In an interview with The Chronicle today, the woman said Lynch appeared to be intoxicated when he choked and slapped her and put a hand over her mouth to prevent her from screaming as the two sat in a friend's Dodge Durango outside her home on Dec. 13.

"He pulled his pants down and made me touch his genitals," she wrote in her application for a temporary restraining order. "He put me in the back of the car and got on top of me. He put his hands over my mouth and threatened to kill me, because no one else can have me."

Lynch told the woman that she was supposed to have gone with him to the NFL, she said.

"He told me I f -- everything up, that we were supposed to get married and 'You were supposed to come with me to the NFL,' " said the woman, who spoke today on condition of anonymity. The Chronicle does not identify people who allege they are victims of sexual assault.

On Friday, Alameda County Superior Court Judge Leo Dorado issued a restraining order against Lynch that is effective until 2012, court records show.

Lynch is out of town, and neither he nor Schwartzbach was aware of the hearing, the attorney said.

Lynch has not returned repeated phone calls from The Chronicle.

Schwartzbach has suggested that the woman was jealous of Lynch and wanted "a piece of the notoriety and the money."

But the woman said today that the witness in question was a close friend of Lynch's who would say anything to protect him.

"I'm not after Marshawn because of jealousy or money," she said.

Lynch's agent, Mike Sullivan, and Cal football coach Jeff Tedford declined comment and directed calls to Schwartzbach.

"Oakland Technical High School" = "school" where morons make birdhouses n stuff

:D It would be very easy for him to do these things without evidence. It's very hard to prove such assaults to a jury. The DA declining charges really doesn't prove anything.

:D It would be very easy for him to do these things without evidence. It's very hard to prove such assaults to a jury. The DA declining charges really doesn't prove anything.

How about the inconsistencies in the woman's story - something posted in the GBN article but noticeably absent in the other article posted by you?

Let's see - no physical evidence of any contact, an eye witness stating nothing happened, and the woman contradicting herself in her account of the incident. Yeah, let's believe the woman absolutely. And while we're at it, let's hang the Duke lacrosse players too.