[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers looking WR in the draft?

Randall

Tom Silverstein

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

DRAFT BUZZ: Without question, the club has its eye on the top receivers and running backs in the draft. The influx of juniors has improved the club's chances of landing a playmaker at No. 16 overall. G.M. Ted Thompson continues to say he'll take the best player available, but if he doesn't add someone who can get into the end zone he won't be doing proper service to the team. Keep an eye on some of the big receivers coming out, such as USC's Dwayne Jarrett, South Carolina's Sidney Rice and Tennessee's Robert Meachem. They'll be on the team's radar.

they will go offensive this draft or pickup a free agent--just can't see them going with what they have rb-wr or te--Driver is a grewat number one but a lot of ifffs after, Franks is done and as for rbs come on--still of course it depends on Farve--would love to see another Atlanta quarterback swing --and not Vick

Where I think they'll go? RB way before they look at WR, unless someone falls unexpectedly.

Where I'd like to see them go? Get a real nasty big ugly DT to protect a young, fast LB corps, or get a stud DE to force on the edge. They can get a 2nd round RB who'll be an effective pro.

I have no problem with Holliday or Martin as the 3 and 4. Or spot #2s.

But yeah, if you don't think Jennings is going to pan out, you want to upgrade.

Jennings should be fine, but they need a potential #2 if he or Driver get hurt. It doesn't have to be a first rounder of course. TT may try and get a FA too. Last year showed they needed someone to step in.

How about Bobby Engram, an UFA? Drew Bennett, Kevin Curtis?

I have a problem with Holliday and Martin - I think they suck.

Everything on Jenning seems to point to him being fine. I just think that you really need help at the position in general, especially with DD getting older and the physical way that he plays.

An offensive lineman is a definate possibility. Ron Wolf drafted plenty of offensive linemen in the first round, especially in the lower half of the first round. If there is a small, talented OL who fits the zone-blocking scheme, this could definately be the route TT goes. They have 3 or 4 young, decent linemen for guard and center, but they could easily fit another lineman into the mix.

The thing is, zone-blocking OLs are an undervalued commodity. You can get the draft's best mobile, undersized lineman in the mid-2nd without a worry.

A middle linebacker might be tough to fit in, but Barnett can always move to the outside, though I would have thought this would have already have happened if it was going to happen. Corner is also currently filled, but there is no guarantee that Woodsen will be back and having a corner play nickel for the first year isn't a bad idea. Woodsen will probably get hurt anywho, so there might be an opening by week 4.

IMO, LB is absolutely NOT a need, with Barnett, Poppinga, Hawk, Hodge, Manning, and Taylor all slated to return. Two very good LBs plus some quality depth.

A good young CB who can learn for a year or two behind Woodson (there are about 4-5 million things guaranteeing his return, aside from his terrific play last year) and Harris is something I'd be 100% behind.

Overall, I think Green Bay is in a decent position, really - they have enough depth and should return at least 19 of their 22 starters (Henderson may be gone, Green is 50/50 depending on what sort of offers he gets, Franks deserves to be cut but is under contract and his past performance may get him a last chance), but I'm not blind enough to think that there aren't a few positions that could be upgraded, and they need depth EVERYWHERE.

The best player available will fill a need on this team, no matter who it is.

Jennings was lights out before his ankle injury. He wasnt near 100 percent the rest of the season... He'll be fine, and the eventual no.1 in Green Bay... My concern is that Driver only has 2-3 more years left in the tank... After that, I think we'll see a big dropoff in his play. I think we go runningback or best available defensive play sans a linebacker.

Ted Thompson will go defense. Not because of a lack of need at the Packer's offensive skill positions, but because of philosophy. Thompson went to the Ron Wolf school of gming and nothing that I have seen makes me think he is deviating from that school of thought. Ron Wolf did not draft one running back or one wide receiver in the first round while with the Packer's.

You may be right but I hope he is aggresive this year in FA and then picks need in the draft.

A middle linebacker might be tough to fit in, but Barnett can always move to the outside, though I would have thought this would have already have happened if it was going to happen.

My personal theory is that the Packers are taking a linebacker. The Packers have two stud linebackers, but could use one more. Abdul Hodge looked good in the preseason, but didn't progress as the season went. Ted Thompson was a linebacker. He probably has a soft-spot for them. He chose AJ Hawk over Vernon Davis last year. Adding another stud linebacker might give the Packers the strongest linebacking crew in the NFL.

IMO, LB is absolutely NOT a need, with Barnett, Poppinga, Hawk, Hodge, Manning, and Taylor all slated to return. Two very good LBs plus some quality depth.

I couldn't agree with Chavez more. LB is a strength for GB, and they hardly need to draft into that position. One of the stupidest things the Packers could do is waste a draft pick this year on a LB - even a 7th rounder. And to simply dismiss Hodge after his rookie year would be foolhardy also. The guy showed some flashes later in the season & has the looks of being very good once he understands the pro game better.

I couldn't agree with Chavez more. LB is a strength for GB, and they hardly need to draft into that position. One of the stupidest things the Packers could do is waste a draft pick this year on a LB - even a 7th rounder. And to simply dismiss Hodge after his rookie year would be foolhardy also. The guy showed some flashes later in the season & has the looks of being very good once he understands the pro game better.

Agree...they took him in the 2nd for a reason and all we have to evalutae him so far is the Seahawk game. That staff really like Poppinga and his coverage improved over the course of the year. DE, CB and a SS to team with Collins are much more imortant.