[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great Blue North mock 1st round

Bronco Billy

link to GBN mock

2007 FIRST-ROUND PROJECTION

January 19, 2007

#	TEAM	Player	POS	School1	Oakland	Calvin Johnson	WR	Georgia Tech2	Detroit	Joe Thomas 	OT	Wisconsin*3	Cleveland 	Jamarcus Russell	QB	LSU*4	Tampa Bay	Brady Quinn	QB	Notre Dame5	Arizona	Alan Branch	DT	Michigan6	Washington 	Jamaal Anderson	DE	Arkansas7	Minnesota 	Adrian Peterson	RB	Oklahoma8	Houston 	Marshawn Lynch	RB	California9	Miami	Gaines Adams	DE	Clemson10	Atlanta	  Reggie Nelson	FS	Florida11	San Francisco	Dwayne Jarrett	WR	Southern California12	Buffalo 	Amobi Okoye	DT	Louisville13	St. Louis	Jarvis Moss	DE	Florida14	Carolina	Ted Ginn	WR	Ohio State15	Pittsburgh	Leon Hall	CB	Michigan16	Green Bay	Laron Landry	DB	LSU17	Jacksonville	Sidney Rice	WR	South Carolina18	Cincinnati	Patrick Willis	LB	Mississippi19	Tennessee	Darrelle Revis	CB	Pittsburgh20	New York Giants	Lawrence Timmons	LB	Florida State21	Denver	Quentin Moses	DE	Georgia22	Dallas	Marcus McCauley	CB	Fresno State23	Kansas City	Levi Brown	OT	Penn State24	New England (from Seattle)	Robert Meacham	WR	Tennessee25	New York Jets	Fred Bennett	CB	South Carolina26	Philadelphia	Paul Posluszny	LB	Penn State27	New Orleans	Zach Miller	TE	Arizona State28	New England	Aaron Rouse	SS	Virginia Tech29	Baltimore	Justin Blalock	OG	Texas30	San Diego	Dwayne Bowe	WR	LSU31	Indianapolis	Quinn Pitcock	DT	Ohio State32	Chicago	Tank Tyler	DT	North Carolina State

Not crazy about JAX going WR in the first.

Do they know something we don't? Willis is projected as going to CIN. Does that mean Thurman is history?

Interesting that they have Bowe jumping into the first round. He did have a very good Senior Bowl.

On a personal note, I'm not crazy about Moses to DEN. I think the guy will struggle badly w/ NFL OTs.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Al Davis publicly blamed Al Davis for taking Huff over Leinart. He won't make the same mistake again.

Kiffin is going to look to rebuild the offense, starting with a QB. Curry/Gabrial are good enough WRs.

Knapp also is big on working with QBs.

Edit: They also don't have Damien Hughes going in the first round, a huge mistake if you ask me. He will be the second or third CB to go.

Edited by kpholmes

Al Davis publicly blamed Al Davis for taking Huff over Leinart. He won't make the same mistake again.

Kiffin is going to look to rebuild the offense, starting with a QB. Curry/Gabrial are good enough WRs.

Knapp also is big on working with QBs.

In all honesty, no one can ever know what goes through Davis' mind in regard to the draft. This is the guy who drafted the Polish date-raping kicker in the first round, and he bypassed 2 very good to great QB prospects last year in favor of Huff.

If Moss & Porter are both gone in OAK, the selection of Johnson makes perfect sense, especially since if Al takes a QB & bypasses the best overall player in the draft he'll have to admit that both Brooks & Walter were mistakes.

BTW - I still think Walter can be a very good NFL QB if OAK wil put an O-line in front of him that will give him more than 2 seconds to drop back & pass.

I really can't see MIN taking a RB...Taylor is Childress' guy.

I agree with that, but if Peterson drops, MIN will be hard pressed not to take him there. Peterson will have Taylor on the bench by week 2 of the preseason.

Edited by Bronco Billy

"26 Philadelphia Paul Posluszny LB Penn State"

If he's there at #26...... :D Something tells me he won't be, tho.

He'd look verrry nice as the heir to Trotter in the middle of the Eagle defense. Popular Penn State guy going a few hours east to play in Philly....this would be a pick no one would boo!

Do they know something we don't? Willis is projected as going to CIN. Does that mean Thurman is history?

Some thoughts from a homer...

There is speculation in the media about some of Marvin's comments at the end of the year. He was asked about Odell Thurman's suspension and Marvin replied that he wouldn't talk about Thurman because "he isn't part of the team". Some media folks took this to mean that Thurman will be let go.

:D However, I doubt that he will be let go for three reasons (1) The cap hit of a second round pick let go in year 3 of a contract, (2) They don't have a performance reason to let him go - yet , (3) Numbers may require that they keep a LB since OLB David Pollack (1st round pick in 05) may never play again due to a neck injury.

I suspect it means he just won't talk about a player that is on a long suspension. Odell won't be part of the team until he is allowed to start practicing again about week 4 next year.

Due to the timing of the return and the likelihood that the numskull :D can't keep his act straight, I think it makes sense to have a good solution at MLB for next year. However, I thought that is what they spent a 3rd round supplemental pick on Ahmad Brooks for last year.

Marvin loves his LBs. So if he doesn't think Brooks is the guy for MLB and/or the switch to a 3-4 defense is in the works, a LB pick makes sense. It will almost certainly be a defensive player. DE (if Justin Smith does not return), LB, CB, and SS are the biggest needs there.

i think the biggest suprise jump into the first round isnt bowe...i think its rouse....who i do not really like, especially for my team....hes not a good tackler and isnt very good in coverage

my ideal safeties for the patriots would be that weddle kid from utah...but i think taking him in the first might be a reach(not that the pats are afraid to reach for a guy they like)...i would really like brandon meriweather from miami...especially at 28....the kids first round talent all the way...character concerns are pushing him out of most mocks...but i think they are blown out of proportion....only concern i have is that he throws his body around like a madman and that leads to injuries...something the patriots have been plagued by in the secondary...but i love his potential

if this is the way the board is set up when the pats pick...i wouldnt mind meacham and meriweather....id probably prefer they go LB, then DB with their second first rounder...but there isnt really a LB i really like in the first on this particular board when the pats pick....but id love LB,DB, then trade up in the 2nd for anthony gonzalez....that would make my april

yeah browns year has been crazy...he was a projected top 10 guy going into the year...then his stock dropped...and now its shooting back up like crazy

Not after the Senior Bowl, it isn't. He struggled all day & didn't show the footspeed required to keep up with NFL pass rushers.

I apparently wasn't the only one noticing Brown looking like a stone turd against the pass rush:

link

Teams hoping to upgrade their offensive lines probably came away from Mobile more than a little disappointed. Penn State OT Levi Brown, the highest rated OT to show up in Mobile, for example, was effective working in a limited area but struggled when blocking outside rushers as he wasn't able to keep his feet moving and lost the edge; he also had limited change of direction ability when trying to pick-off LBs at the next level and didn't always sustain his block until the whistle.

I apparently wasn't the only one noticing Brown looking like a stone turd against the pass rush:

link

Teams hoping to upgrade their offensive lines probably came away from Mobile more than a little disappointed. Penn State OT Levi Brown, the highest rated OT to show up in Mobile, for example, was effective working in a limited area but struggled when blocking outside rushers as he wasn't able to keep his feet moving and lost the edge; he also had limited change of direction ability when trying to pick-off LBs at the next level and didn't always sustain his block until the whistle.

two words...marcus mcneil....im sure there were similar concerns about him coming into last year...in fact hes very comparible to levi brown...brown probably could have gone higher had he come out last year....same with mcneil had he come out his jr year

two words...marcus mcneil....im sure there were similar concerns about him coming into last year...in fact hes very comparible to levi brown...brown probably could have gone higher had he come out last year....same with mcneil had he come out his jr year

:D

We'll revisit your comparison of Brown to McNeil after say half a season or so next year.

I read similar poor reviews of Brown during and after the week of the Senior Bowl. Didn't seem like anyone other then Bowe really opened any eyes.

wow...ill give it to you guys..he might not have had the best game....but to say he got poor reviews during the week? i heard nothing but good things about him during the week of practice...he was even coming out early before practice to get one on one and the coaches really were impressed