[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could the NFL destroy itself financially

MojoMan

I thought this article

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Anv7...=yhoo&type=lgns

was pretty thought provoking.

Wetzel makes the point that older NFL retirees are getting the shaft financially...they wrecked their bodies and are getting a pittance in disability and retirement.

He then states the obvious...that the violence of the game leads to these disabling chronic medical problems down the line.

But, he then states that while the NFL if frickin' rich, it's not rich enough to finance the health care, disability, and retirement of all of its veterans.

Tiki Barber and Robert Smith are looking pretty smart right about now.

Every sport has this disparity between old vets and the present multi-millionaires. Charles Barkley has made this point relentlessly on behalf of NBA veterans.

Difficult to see what can be done but if I was a billionaire owner, I don't think I'd find it that hard to put my hand in my pocket and come out with some cash for these guys.

Edit: And yes, Smith and Barber were very wise indeed.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

No but the NFL could take better care of the older veterans. They do counsel playters on investments which they didn't do earlier.

The Players Ass. andf younger players should step up and help the older vets as well. The older guys did create great opportunities for Tiki and others.

I thought this article

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Anv7...=yhoo&type=lgns

was pretty thought provoking.

Wetzel makes the point that older NFL retirees are getting the shaft financially...they wrecked their bodies and are getting a pittance in disability and retirement.

He then states the obvious...that the violence of the game leads to these disabling chronic medical problems down the line.

But, he then states that while the NFL if frickin' rich, it's not rich enough to finance the health care, disability, and retirement of all of its veterans.

Tiki Barber and Robert Smith are looking pretty smart right about now.

What a joke. Yes let's rant about the need to provide "retirement assistance" or whatever to millionaires. Those of us making one helluva lot less manage to put away for a rainy day and cover our butts...if they're so f-ing stupid (and big surprise, many of them are) thehy don't provide for themselves and live w/in their means, tough.

As for the older players, sad as some of their situations were/are, by and large they got themselves into those situations as well, and while not millionaires, going back even pre-70s they were still making a lot more than the average Joe. Even Kramer admitted as much.

Sorry Ditka/etc - you want to help, good for you, but don't cry on my shoulder.

Edited by BeeR

What a joke. Yes let's rant about the need to provide "retirement assistance" or whatever to millionaires. Those of us making one helluva lot less manage to put away for a rainy day and cover our butts...if they're so f-ing stupid (and big surprise, many of them are) thehy don't provide for themselves and live w/in their means, tough.

As for the older players, sad as some of their situations were/are, by and large they got themselves into those situations as well, and while not millionaires, going back even pre-70s they were still making a lot more than the average Joe. Even Kramer admitted as much.

Maybe I read the article wrong but I think there's more to it than increasing benefits for the old players.

I thought that what Wetzel was saying is that the game is such a destroyer of bodies and minds that caring for the retired players will become a major financial burden for the league over time.

The medical expertise for the types of injuries are far more advanced then what you saw for the players of SB I & II. Thus many of the players that are still living are hurt and spending considerable money on medical bills, probably far more then most of them made. I do not find it unreasonable that player from either the late 80's or earlier asking for assistance. Granted Some have their money (Ditka, Bradshaw) but those before I believe the 93' agreement did not have investment opportunities unless they sought them on their own. Thus the money they made and retired with when they were somewhere between the age of 30-35 (if their lucky) has to last them until they reach 80. Add medical bills and even the best money savers are gonna be in a pinch.

Maybe I read the article wrong but I think there's more to it than increasing benefits for the old players.

I thought that what Wetzel was saying is that the game is such a destroyer of bodies and minds that caring for the retired players will become a major financial burden for the league over time.

Then don't play.

They made a choice. Live with the consequences.

The medical expertise for the types of injuries are far more advanced then what you saw for the players of SB I & II. Thus many of the players that are still living are hurt and spending considerable money on medical bills, probably far more then most of them made. I do not find it unreasonable that player from either the late 80's or earlier asking for assistance. Granted Some have their money (Ditka, Bradshaw) but those before I believe the 93' agreement did not have investment opportunities unless they sought them on their own. Thus the money they made and retired with when they were somewhere between the age of 30-35 (if their lucky) has to last them until they reach 80. Add medical bills and even the best money savers are gonna be in a pinch.

First, they're no better than you or I. They make their money, let them look to their future the same way we do. And we do it probably with much less. They don't have to stop working at 30-35 either, that's when the football career is over. If they had any intelligence at all they would realize this and make plans for life after football. The players know the risk/reward of playing the game. They don't mind the money or fame while playing but, they just don't look far enough down the road to realize there's an end and plan for it.

Watch the current segment on Real Sports with Konrad Dobler and others.

:D to HBO Real Sports episode index, not to video.

Edited by charty