[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL imposes the "Merriman" Rule

theeohiostate

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the NFL will no longer allow players who violate the league's substance abuse policy to make the Pro Bowl.

The rule doesn't kick in until next season, so Shawne Merriman will still play in Honolulu on Saturday. It will also hit violators in the wallet, as many players have Pro Bowl incentives written into their contracts.

:D

It's same season, from the bottomline on ESPNews

This is a good rule. And a lifetime ban would be way too harsh. I have no problem with someone who cleans themselves up and goes to the Pro Bowl, but a guy on suspension for substance abuse violations should not get a free ticket to Honolulu.

This is a good rule. And a lifetime ban would be way too harsh. I have no problem with someone who cleans themselves up and goes to the Pro Bowl, but a guy on suspension for substance abuse violations should not get a free ticket to Honolulu.

If the NBA's leading scoring, Carmelo Anthony isn't going to the All-Star game, no way the NFL should have allowed Merriman to be allowed THIS season, imo.

It will also hit violators in the wallet, as many players have Pro Bowl incentives written into their contracts.

:D

Slightly OT. Some friends and I were talking about alternates and 2nd alternates for the Pro Bowl. If a player has incentives in his contract to go to the Pro Bowl, but the choose not to go because of injury or other football related reason, do they still get the incentive? If you are an alternate or a 2nd alternate not originally named to the Pro Bowl, do you get the incentives?

:D Nicely done, NFL ...

Slightly OT. Some friends and I were talking about alternates and 2nd alternates for the Pro Bowl. If a player has incentives in his contract to go to the Pro Bowl, but the choose not to go because of injury or other football related reason, do they still get the incentive? If you are an alternate or a 2nd alternate not originally named to the Pro Bowl, do you get the incentives?

If that was me, I'd simply ask the team if they'd pay me even if I pulled out to get my toe better (in Urlacher's case), and if they said no ... then, I may go ahead and go if the bonus was big enough.

But, I'd guess most teams would go ahead and pay a bonus like that if the guy made it if he pulled out in order to get an injury healed up for the next season.