[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just saw the Disney ad...

Czarina

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely. Look at SB 36 - Ty Law scored as many TDs as entire the Pats offense, yet Brady was the MVP.

brady also moved his team 53 yards yards into FG position with no timeouts and 1:21 left on the clock...and the game tied

sounds to me..to quote shorttynaz here...like theres like its jealousy from 31 other teams and fans there of, that tom brady is not their qb...sound familiar?

but really i have no problem with manning winning it...

brady also moved his team 53 yards yards into FG position with no timeouts and 1:21 left on the clock...and the game tied

Blah, blah, blah. When Peyton gets his offense in position to kick a FG, he's raked over the coals for not getting the ball into the endzone. When Brady does it, he's a "good team player." :D

sounds to me..to quote shorttynaz here...like theres like its jealousy from 31 other teams and fans there of, that tom brady is not their qb...sound familiar?

Um, not really and I'm not liable for what shorttynaz said.

My point was that Brady did even LESS in SB 36 than Peyton did in SB 41, yet Brady was still the MVP. I was agreeing with bushwacked that MVP voters will give it to the QB when no other player is clearly deserving. I've often said here that Ty Law deserved the SB 36 MVP and I stand by that. (That said, Brady DEFINITELY deserved the SB 38 MVP.) In Sunday's game, there's no single person that really stood out.

Edited by Bill Swerski

And the Manning bashing never ends...

Give the guy a break. He's worked his entire life to get to that point, and I guarentee you, the Colts would not have won that game with out him. He kept the offense together. 10 passes to Addai, that Grossman proved he couldn't throw, a TD to Wayne, some beautiful throws to Marvin; yea the guy didn't have his best game but any other QB in those conditions would have had a much harder time keeping it together.

No, no, no. Didn't mean it that way although now in reading my post it seems like a bash. I have a ton of respect for this guy (even when he stayed for his Senior year and did not allow my Jets to draft him) and did not mean it to be a bash.

I just felt, my opinion, that it would have been cool for him, as the leader of the team, to call Rhodes and Addai up to the podium and hand them the keys in front of a national audience. Manning gets a ton of credit, and deservedly so in many instances, but in this game, those two backs deserved all the credit in the world. It's not about the car, which none of them really need. It was about recognizing them in that moment.

Manning had nothing to prove, SB championship or not. He's the best in the game now and some day, will be considered the best to play ever.

My point was that Brady did even LESS in SB 36 than Peyton did in SB 41, yet Brady was still the MVP. I was agreeing with bushwacked that MVP voters will give it to the QB when no other player is clearly deserving. I've often said here that Ty Law deserved the SB 36 MVP and I stand by that. (That said, Brady DEFINITELY deserved the SB 38 MVP.) In Sunday's game, there's no single person that really stood out.

take away a 53 yard td pass(i know you cant take these things away but humor me)where reggie wayne was miraculously left uncovered...and mannings numbers are as pedestrian as tom bradys were in superbowl 36...like i said..the last drive was fresh in the voters minds...brady had to lead a game winning drive with no timeouts and a buck twenty on the clock in dangerous territory

i was making fun of shorttynaz though...insinuating that we pats fans are jealous and wish peyton was our qb...he is great...but i think well take what we got..thanks...now he understands what its like to have to defend tom brady constantly

Blah, blah, blah. When Peyton gets his offense in position to kick a FG, he's raked over the coals for not getting the ball into the endzone. When Brady does it, he's a "good team player." :D

gotta love how you throw in a new quote and response a few minutes later via the edit to make a point...totally your style

just looking at payton's career stats. pretty amazing that for as often as he throws it, his comp% is pretty high... plus in his 9 years his lowest td total has been 26 (3 times), and 7 seasons over 4000. i am also impressed with the last 4 years where he reduced his int's 10, 10, 10, 9.

take away a 53 yard td pass(i know you cant take these things away but humor me)where reggie wayne was miraculously left uncovered...and mannings numbers are as pedestrian as tom bradys were in superbowl 36...like i said..the last drive was fresh in the voters minds...brady had to lead a game winning drive with no timeouts and a buck twenty on the clock in dangerous territory

:D

Um, OK, so even if we discount Manning's pump-fake that drew in the safety to leave Wayne completely uncovered and the fact that Peyton made the throw as he was being tackled, Peyton still completed 25 passes (67%) for almost 200 yds and got his offense in position for a rushing TD and four FG attempts - in the rain. On the other hand, Brady completed a whole 16 passes for 145 yds and got his offense in position for one TD and 2 FGs - indoors on astroturf. And even if he had failed to get Vinatieri in position for the winning FG, the Pats would've had a chance to win in overtime. Brady was extremely pedestrian in that game. The best thing that you can say about him is that he didn't turn the ball over. And I don't blame him - he was young and inexperienced at the time. He certainly played like an MVP in SBs 38 and 39, but not 36.

So, no, their numbers weren't very similar at all.

Edited by Bill Swerski

but i think well take what we got..thanks...now he understands what its like to have to defend tom brady constantly

It was not a shot at you bro! You say that you Pats fans are always having to defend Tom Brady. I dont recall ever discrediting his accomplishments as a team player. He's got the hardware to back it up. But the same goes for Manning. Colts fans have and probably still will continue to defend Manning. What I was referring to was "another message board" (as stated in my previous post) in which has been overrun by Pats fans as of late, are still flapping their jaws about how Manning is still overrated, and he's a "What can I do for myself" type of player, and not a "team player".. So let me go back to this whole "IMO" thing (which I hate by the way).

In My Opinion, I think that people that continue to take shots at Manning and claim that he is not the real deal and is a selfish player, are just jealous fans wishing that he was the starting QB of their team, for if he were, they wouldn't be yappin their gums..

No, no, no. Didn't mean it that way although now in reading my post it seems like a bash. I have a ton of respect for this guy (even when he stayed for his Senior year and did not allow my Jets to draft him) and did not mean it to be a bash.

I just felt, my opinion, that it would have been cool for him, as the leader of the team, to call Rhodes and Addai up to the podium and hand them the keys in front of a national audience. Manning gets a ton of credit, and deservedly so in many instances, but in this game, those two backs deserved all the credit in the world. It's not about the car, which none of them really need. It was about recognizing them in that moment.

Manning had nothing to prove, SB championship or not. He's the best in the game now and some day, will be considered the best to play ever.

Well I understand what you're saying, but no matter how great the person is, I still think it would be really hard for anyone to call up other players after being handed a Superbowl win and the MVP award.

Manning said it himself that the entire team stepped up to win that game, Addai and Rhodes did a lot for the win, but so did the entire Oline, the entire defense, Wayne and Harrison, etc... Can't give credit to everyone.

Whether Manning deserved the MVP award for that game or not, he is and has been the team's MVP for years now. With out Manning, they wouldn't have come close this year or any year. He deserves to have that trophy more than anyone on that roster.

:D

Um, OK, so even if we discount Manning's pump-fake that drew in the safety to leave Wayne completely uncovered and the fact that Peyton made the throw as he was being tackled, Peyton still completed 25 passes (67%) for almost 200 yds and got his offense in position for a rushing TD and four FG attempts - in the rain. On the other hand, Brady completed a whole 16 passes for 145 yds and got his offense in position for one TD and 2 FGs - indoors on astroturf. And even if he had failed to get Vinatieri in position for the winning FG, the Pats would've had a chance to win in overtime. Brady was extremely pedestrian in that game. The best thing that you can say about him is that he didn't turn the ball over. And I don't blame him - he was young and inexperienced at the time. He certainly played like an MVP in SBs 38 and 39, but not 36.

So, no, their numbers weren't very similar at all.

swerski..i understand that you feel ty law deserved the mvp of superbowl 36...thats your opinion..im certainly not going to change it...but yer the one who brought tom brady when people questioned whether or not manning deserved it.....and i simply gave you reasons why he probably got the vote...fresh in voters minds how the game ended...and then you simply come back at me with "well manning gets dragged through the coals when they settle for fgs...but brady is lauded as a great team player"....young and inexperienced he was...yet cool enough to basically go 5-6 for 53 yards(two spikes to stop the clock) with the game on the line....

It was not a shot at you bro! You say that you Pats fans are always having to defend Tom Brady. I dont recall ever discrediting his accomplishments as a team player. He's got the hardware to back it up. But the same goes for Manning. Colts fans have and probably still will continue to defend Manning. What I was referring to was "another message board" (as stated in my previous post) in which has been overrun by Pats fans as of late, are still flapping their jaws about how Manning is still overrated, and he's a "What can I do for myself" type of player, and not a "team player".. So let me go back to this whole "IMO" thing (which I hate by the way).

In My Opinion, I think that people that continue to take shots at Manning and claim that he is not the real deal and is a selfish player, are just jealous fans wishing that he was the starting QB of their team, for if he were, they wouldn't be yappin their gums..

nah i hear ya man...you have and still will have to defend peyton to people...i know the drill...it just comes with the territory...now instead of people ragging on him for coming up short...youll have the people who are just plain sick of hearing about him and wanna take shots.....whereas its almost taking a bit of a turn for us patriots fans...now we gotta hear from people about how he came up short

swerski..i understand that you feel ty law deserved the mvp of superbowl 36...thats your opinion..im certainly not going to change it...but yer the one who brought tom brady when people questioned whether or not manning deserved it.....and i simply gave you reasons why he probably got the vote...fresh in voters minds how the game ended...and then you simply come back at me with "well manning gets dragged through the coals when they settle for fgs...but brady is lauded as a great team player"....young and inexperienced he was...yet cool enough to basically go 5-6 for 53 yards(two spikes to stop the clock) with the game on the line....

Um, my original comment was that QBs tend to get the sentimental vote, sometimes at the expense of a player who might have deserved it more (Law). And then you jumped in to defend your boy. I wasn't attacking Brady. Brady's an awesome QB who put played as well in SB 36 as could be expected from a second-year player with very little experience. But I don't think that he should've received the MVP in that game. I also don't necessarily think that Peyton was deserving of it on Sunday - he got it because no other single player put up an incredible performance AND because of the sentiment factor.

And Manning does get unfairly raked over the coals here - and in a lot of other places as well. There's no denying that.

nah i hear ya man...you have and still will have to defend peyton to people...i know the drill...it just comes with the territory...now instead of people ragging on him for coming up short...youll have the people who are just plain sick of hearing about him and wanna take shots.....whereas its almost taking a bit of a turn for us patriots fans...now we gotta hear from people about how he came up short

It's what being a die hard fan is all about isnt it? And it's easy for me to say this now, but I really do feel that if Manning were to leave the Colts either via trade or free agency, I still would cheer for him, not necessairly the team that he would be playing for. Yes, that includes the Patriots. That would be wierd though wouldn't it? It'd be like D Jeter leaving the Yankees to come play for the Red Sox. Or Johnny Damon leaving the Red Sox to go play for the Yankees.. Oh wait!! :D

I just felt, my opinion, that it would have been cool for him, as the leader of the team, to call Rhodes and Addai up to the podium and hand them the keys in front of a national audience.

I've never won a superbowl or been an MVP, but I can only speculate that, that this thought process is probably kind of unrealistic given the emotional cirumstances. I doubt that would really enter the mind in the spirit of the moment. I'm sure Manning was overwhelmed with trying to look at photos and discuss strategies with coaches while on the sidelines and probably not even aware of what individual stat lines were at the end of the game.

Edited by bushwacked

FWIW, I agree that Ty Law should have been MVP that year.

I think it irks me all the more that Manning was relatively pathetic in the entire playoffs with 3TDs and 7INTs. If he'd have played like that all year long, they'd have been lucky to be a wild card team.

I think it irks me all the more that Manning was relatively pathetic in the entire playoffs with 3TDs and 7INTs. If he'd have played like that all year long, they'd have been lucky to be a wild card team.

He was bad in the KC game and not terribly good in the BAL game. The way I see it, he's allowed one turnover against a good defense like BAL, NE, or CHI.

In the post-game interview for the BAL game, he mentioned that the pick deep down the sideline (thrown on 3rd and long) in the 2nd half was a designed play where he just threw the ball up and hoped that Marvin caught it. He described it as a "pretty good punt." Given how bad Indy's kick coverage teams have been all year, I'm wondering if Moore and Dungy purposely used those deep throws on 3rd-and-long as a low-percentage-of-success/high-reward "big-play-or-punt" against the better defenses, given that they would've had a difficult time converting 3rd down anyway. Ed Reed's pick was right on the sideline at the BAL 39 on 3rd and 17. Chris Harris' pick was in the same place on the CHI 29 on 3rd and 13. Of course, Peyton's other INTs were simply bad throws and/or bad communication, but I'm wondering if those two in particular were designed.

He is. At least to most of the Pats fans.. (As I have been reading on another message board). Sounds to me like it's just jealousy from 31 other teams and fans there of, that he's not their QB.

You are painting with a broad brush there. There have been lots of fans of other teams that have been singing Manning's praises throughout his entire career. There were some people, myself included, that were rooting for the Colts because they wanted to see Manning get that final piece of the puzzle.

I hate to derail this derailment, but they mentioned on Sirius tonight that Manning may have suggested Dungee and Rhodes for that Disneyland commercial instead of himself.

Or could it be that Disney offers a compensation package that wasn't up to "the 6'5" guy with a rocket laser arm" minimum asking price?

I've never won a superbowl or been an MVP, but I can only speculate that, that this thought process is probably kind of unrealistic given the emotional cirumstances. I doubt that would really enter the mind in the spirit of the moment. I'm sure Manning was overwhelmed with trying to look at photos and discuss strategies with coaches while on the sidelines and probably not even aware of what individual stat lines were at the end of the game.

Point well taken.