[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kiper's Latest 1st Round Projections

THE SIX KINGS

Teams might trade up to take Oklahoma's Peterson

By Mel Kiper Jr.

ESPN.com

In my latest first-round projection, I have underclassmen making up half of the top 32 picks, including 12 of the first 20 spots on the board.

I still have LSU junior QB JaMarcus Russell going with the first overall pick to Oakland. However, the biggest buzz could center around Oklahoma junior RB Adrian Peterson (6-1½, 223 pounds). His workout numbers at the NFL combine should look something like this: 4.37 in the 40-yard dash; 38-inch vertical leap; and eight percent body fat. I have Peterson going to Cleveland, which will have either the third or fourth pick, depending on a coin flip tiebreaker with Tampa Bay; but there also could be several teams interested in trading up to get Peterson.

If Peterson does go to Cleveland, Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn could slide to the Dolphins with the ninth pick. The reason Quinn would fall to Miami? Teams picking after Cleveland (possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota and Houston) don't need a quarterback. You could make a case for the Texans or Vikings to draft Quinn, but I don't expect that to happen.

The Seattle Seahawks are the only team that does not have a first-round pick because of the trade they made with the Patriots to acquire WR Deion Branch. Seattle could use another wide receiver and, ironically, this draft has a lot of great pass catchers. (I'm projecting seven wide receivers will go in the first round.)

My next first-round projection will be the first week of March following the NFL combine.

(Note: a coin flip between the Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers will determine which team has the third pick and which team has the fourth choice.)

FIRST-ROUND PROJECTIONS

(ASTERISK DENOTES UNDERCLASSMAN)

1.Oakland Raiders JaMarcus Russell* QB LSU

2.Detroit Lions Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin

3 or 4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Calvin Johnson* WR Georgia Tech

4 or 3. Cleveland Browns Adrian Peterson* RB Oklahoma

5.Arizona Cardinals Gaines Adams DE Clemson

6.Washington Redskins Jamaal Anderson* DE Arkansas

7.Minnesota Vikings Ted Ginn Jr.* WR Ohio St.

8.Houston Texans Levi Brown OT Penn St.

9.Miami Dolphins Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame

10.Atlanta Falcons LaRon Landry S LSU

11.San Francisco 49ers Alan Branch* DT Michigan

12.Buffalo Bills Amobi Okoye DT Louisville

13.St. Louis Rams Charles Johnson* DE Georgia

14.Carolina Panthers Dwayne Bowe WR LSU

15.Pittsburgh Steelers Jarvis Moss* DE Florida

16.Green Bay Packers Marshawn Lynch* RB California

17.Jacksonville Jaguars Sidney Rice* WR South Carolina

18.Cincinnati Bengals Leon Hall CB Michigan

19.Tennessee Titans Dwayne Jarrett* WR USC

20.New York Giants Lawrence Timmons* LB Florida St.

21.Denver Broncos Adam Carriker DE Nebraska

22.Dallas Cowboys Reggie Nelson* DB Florida

23.Kansas City Chiefs Aaron Ross CB Texas

24.New England Patriots (from SEA) Daymeion Hughes CB California

25.New York Jets Robert Meachem* WR Tennessee

26.Philadelphia Eagles Tim Crowder DE Texas

27.New Orleans Saints Darrelle Revis* CB Pittsburgh

28.New England Patriots Anthony Gonzalez* WR Ohio St.

29.Baltimore Ravens Anthony Spencer DE Purdue

30.San Diego Chargers Patrick Willis LB Mississippi

31.Chicago Bears Arron Sears OL Tennessee

32.Indianapolis Colts Justin Harrell DT Tennessee

If your team ended up with Ginn, would you be happy after that Rosie O'Donnell move he pulled staying out of the game during the national championship ...

I am usually not not one to pull the soft card (well, other than Todd Pinkston, aka gator arms), but that just sits really bad with me and if the Eagles got him would take me awhile (at least two KO TD returns) to put behind me.

If your team ended up with Ginn, would you be happy after that Rosie O'Donnell move he pulled staying out of the game during the national championship ...

I am usually not not one to pull the soft card (well, other than Todd Pinkston, aka gator arms), but that just sits really bad with me and if the Eagles got him would take me awhile (at least two KO TD returns) to put behind me.

I like Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett alot more than Ginn...

i wouldnt be happy because he is a desmond howard 2.0

"Seattle could use another wide receiver "

How many WR does one team need....(assuming any of them could actually catch the ball)

Believe Hackett and Engram are free agents, rumors occasionally surface of a Jackson contract holdout, and Branch/Burleson haven't been as good as hoped.

:D Are there really that many wr's that are worthy of first round status?

Maybe Ginn and Johnson, but that's it.

in my observation, mock drafts typically rank WRs and RBs higher and more frequently than they tend to be drafted. Certainly there are some exceptions, but more often than not more DL/LB/CB types creep up, and occasionally some QBs. RBs and WRs are more prone to slip.

Teams picking after Cleveland (possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota and Houston) don't need a quarterback.

The Vikings don't need a QB? Hmm...that is an interesting viewpoint. I guess in the sense that they seem to have someone lining up behind Birk on most plays is a valid point, I guess. Since they addressed the WR need in Williamson last season, I guess they are OK there, too.

On a serious note...not sure what way I would go if I had the Vikings pick. I have a feeling they will go defense, but have nothing to go on, really.

Teams picking after Cleveland (possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota and Houston) don't need a quarterback.

The Vikings don't need a QB? Hmm...that is an interesting viewpoint. I guess in the sense that they seem to have someone lining up behind Birk on most plays is a valid point, I guess. Since they addressed the WR need in Williamson last season, I guess they are OK there, too.

On a serious note...not sure what way I would go if I had the Vikings pick. I have a feeling they will go defense, but have nothing to go on, really.

Ideallistically, they could trade down for Jarrett...or someone to help in the secondary..