[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Homers (an anyone else that wants to contribute)

Caveman_Nick

If Brady Quinn is available at #7  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Viking's QB plan be for their QB future

• spend the #7 pick on Brady Quinn
    • spend the #7 pick on a WR, and stick with Tavaris Jackson

H1 and I were talking about this offline. He is a Vikes homer and I am not. Most of you know that...

I made the arguement that the Vikes might not be as weak at WR as they seem, and that it is difficult for any WR to succeed when they have a bad situation at QB. I think they should spend that pick on Quinn if he is available and go forward with a potential franchise QB who can make the WRs they have better. Coincidentally, and I didn't make this point to H1, this draft is supposed to be WR deep, and a decent player could still be had with the #39 pick.

H1 thinks that Tavaris could be the real deal, and that part of the reason he looked sucky was that the Vikes have no WRs. The other parts being that he wasn't quite ready to be in a game yet, and maybe some other factors. Very possible, and another season to see what happens could be key. It could also cost the Vikes their chance at a potential franchise QB

What do you all think?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franchise QBs are a crap shoot qv. Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, et al. If I were the Vikings, I'd shoot for a WR if that's the only alternative to QB. Having said that, I'd probably go secondary before anything.

Hopefully the Vikings will screw it up whatever they do. :D

Franchise QBs are a crap shoot qv. Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, et al. If I were the Vikings, I'd shoot for a WR if that's the only alternative to QB. Having said that, I'd probably go secondary before anything.

Hopefully the Vikings will screw it up whatever they do. :D

:D

So you're suggesting that drafting a WR is less of a crapshoot than drafting a QB?

I just don't see how they can draft a QB in the first few rounds this year...it implies that Tarvaris Jackson was a wasted pick. Did he look good last year? No. Is that any surprise? No. The Vikes knew that he was a project when they drafted him last year - strong arm, athletic, very few other pro-level skills. Playing him last year was a desperate move by a desperate team and the results are not at all surprising.

Also, he looks especially bad because Young and, to an extent, Cutler and Leinart, played pretty well as rookies. But all three of those guys were more NFL ready to begin with.

I see the Vikes bringing in a vet as opposed to drafting another QB. I bet Jackson is exactly what they thought they'd have right now - their potential future QB that is still a massive project. I don't think he'll start this year regardless of their draft.

To me, this is the same as Chester Taylor. Childress brought him in and will give him the chance to fail or succeed. Hard to say that Jackson has been given that chance so far.

As for the receivers? Who the hell knows. All I can say is that I hope Randy is catching bombs from Brett at the Metrodome (as Packers, of course).

Edited by Fatman

Some friends and I have had several discussions about the #7 pick and not once have any of us brought up taking a qb there. Not sure why, as I'm a little leary of TJ, but I agree with H1, the wrs sucked last year.

Our discussions have centered on whether we should go WR or Def End. I disagree with Ursa about drafting for the secondary. Our pass D wasn't terrible so much last year due to the coverage, but more due to having no pass rush at all. Hell, one starting DE, Udezi, had no sacks the entire season.

If CJ doesn't fall to #7, and its doubtful he will...I'd be happy to see them take a DE instead.

So you're suggesting that drafting a WR is less of a crapshoot than drafting a QB?

Just to add some facts to this insinuation, here are the WRs chosen in the first round since the 2000 draft

Peter Warrick

Plaxico Burress

Travis Taylor

Sylvester Morris

R. Jay Soward

David Terrel

Koren Robinson

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Freddie Mitchell

Reggie Wayne

Donte' Stallworth

Ashley Lelie

Javon Walker

Charles Rogers

Andre Johnson

Bryant Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Roy Williams

Reggie Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Michael Jenkins

Rashaun Woods

Braylon Edwards

Troy Williamson

Mike Williams

Matt Jones

Mark Clayton

Roddy White

Holmes, Santonio

Sorting...

Studs:

Reggie Wayne

Larry Fitzgerald

Roy Williams

Approaching Stud-dom:

Plaxico Burress

Holmes, Santonio

Andre Johnson

Javon Walker

Santana Moss

Lee Evans

Good NFL receiver:

Mark Clayton

The rest, say what you will, have yet to earn a round 1 draft position. Matt Jones, Braylon Edwards, Donte Stallworth, Reggie Willaims might ever get there.

There's a lot of busts on that list IMO, though.

I just don't see how they can draft a QB in the first few rounds this year...it implies that Tarvaris Jackson was a wasted pick. Did he look good last year? No. Is that any surprise? No. The Vikes knew that he was a project when they drafted him last year - strong arm, athletic, very few other pro-level skills. Playing him last year was a desperate move by a desperate team and the results are not at all surprising.

Also, he looks especially bad because Young and, to an extent, Cutler and Leinart, played pretty well as rookies. But all three of those guys were more NFL ready to begin with.

I see the Vikes bringing in a vet as opposed to drafting another QB. I bet Jackson is exactly what they thought they'd have right now - their potential future QB that is still a massive project. I don't think he'll start this year regardless of their draft.

To me, this is the same as Chester Taylor. Childress brought him in and will give him the chance to fail or succeed. Hard to say that Jackson has been given that chance so far.

As for the receivers? Who the hell knows. All I can say is that I hope Randy is catching bombs from Brett at the Metrodome (as Packers, of course).

:D So, admitting a mistake is not an option?

Nevermind that....going after a Franchise QB instead of pinning your hopes on a project QB is a bad strategy?

Nevermind that....going after a Franchise QB instead of pinning your hopes on a project QB is a bad strategy?

When you have other glaring needs, yes. And when you already have a project QB/possible franchise QB, yes. Brady Quinn's not a sure thing, far from it. Drafting Brady Quinn makes the Tarvaris draft last year a total waste. And because we saw Tarvaris play with little preparation and no WR supporting cast, I don't think you abandon him already.

When you have other glaring needs, yes. And when you already have a project QB/possible franchise QB, yes. Brady Quinn's not a sure thing, far from it. Drafting Brady Quinn makes the Tarvaris draft last year a total waste. And because we saw Tarvaris play with little preparation and no WR supporting cast, I don't think you abandon him already.

Maybe you get some great competition for the QB position. maybe Tavris converts to a WR, maybe in the end you were right about him and Quinn.

Who knows...but what I am saying is that if I am a betting man, I bet that Quinn has a much better NFL carrerr than Jackson.

All drafts are a crapshoot. I think the Vikes ought to at least give Jackson a shot in training camp and get a vet to compete with rather than wheel in another rookie.

:D So, admitting a mistake is not an option?

One year later? That's a tough sell and really undermines the first year of a new regime. They obivously felt strongly enough about Jackson to take him in the second. I don't think anyone at this point can say whether or not he's the future. WAY too short.

Edited by Fatman

One year later? That's a tough sell and really undermines the first year of a new regime. They obivously felt strongly enough about Jackson to take him in the second. I don't think anyway at this point can say whether or not he's the future. WAY too short.

It was also widely considered a reach when they took him. :D

It was also widely considered a reach when they took him. :D

Yeah, it was. But that doesn't change the fact that they did it. They would look like complete boners if they drafted another QB after reaching to draft a guy last year. Even Viking fans would be smart enough to realize that things were screwy...

All drafts are a crapshoot. I think the Vikes ought to at least give Jackson a shot in training camp and get a vet to compete with rather than wheel in another rookie.

Of course all drafts are a crapshoot...I just felt the need to point out that your reference to Akili Smith as motivation to draft a WR was baseless in this discussion. Heck, Tavaris Jackson would be a better comparison to Akili Smith, if you take away some of the expectations.

Besides...why should we be listening to you. You want the Vikings to suck... :D

Yeah, it was. But that doesn't change the fact that they did it. They would look like complete boners if they drafted another QB after reaching to draft a guy last year. Even Viking fans would be smart enough to realize that things were screwy...

Again, not a reason to give up a shot at a guy that is flat out better.

Again, not a reason to give up a shot at a guy that is flat out better.

Maybe not. But that's not a great way to exude confidence and leadership from the top, especially when many thought Childress was in over his head in the first year.