[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Homers (an anyone else that wants to contribute)

Caveman_Nick

If Brady Quinn is available at #7  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Viking's QB plan be for their QB future

• spend the #7 pick on Brady Quinn
    • spend the #7 pick on a WR, and stick with Tavaris Jackson

Sign Jeff Garcia and trade for Fitz.

February 8, 2007, 06:17

Vikings, Cardinals :: WR

Vikings Interested In WR Fitzgerald?

Charley Walters, St. Paul Pioneer Press - [Full Article]

Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press speculates that the Vikings may have an interest in Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald Jr. Fitzgerald is from Minneapolis, and is not pleased that his friend, HC Dennis Green, was fired. Charley Walters writes: It will be interesting to see whether the Vikings, seeking reasons for season-ticket holders to renew, try to trade their No. 7 overall pick in April's draft, plus a player or two, for Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald Jr. of Minneapolis.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see how they can draft a QB in the first few rounds this year...it implies that Tarvaris Jackson was a wasted pick. Did he look good last year? No. Is that any surprise? No. The Vikes knew that he was a project when they drafted him last year - strong arm, athletic, very few other pro-level skills. Playing him last year was a desperate move by a desperate team and the results are not at all surprising.

Also, he looks especially bad because Young and, to an extent, Cutler and Leinart, played pretty well as rookies. But all three of those guys were more NFL ready to begin with.

I see the Vikes bringing in a vet as opposed to drafting another QB. I bet Jackson is exactly what they thought they'd have right now - their potential future QB that is still a massive project. I don't think he'll start this year regardless of their draft.

To me, this is the same as Chester Taylor. Childress brought him in and will give him the chance to fail or succeed. Hard to say that Jackson has been given that chance so far.

As for the receivers? Who the hell knows. All I can say is that I hope Randy is catching bombs from Brett at the Metrodome (as Packers, of course).

They will sign jeff garcia,and get the WR in the draft

I voted that we take Quinn and here is why:

If Calvin Johnson is gone, the Vikings cannot and should not reach for a WR at #7 if Brady Quinn is available. Even though Jackson has one year in the league, he only played two games. The rest of the time he was working with the scout team and he is still raw.

Having the #7 pick should afford the Vikings to draft a legitimate blue chip player. This team cannot afford to draft another bust WR. I would hate to follow suit with the Lions.

If the Vikings draft Quinn, he can compete with Jackson for the starting job and I think he would win out. If Quinn wins the starting job, we still have 3 years to develop Jackson.

We could use him as trade bait if he develops. Dallas drafted Troy Aikman in 1989 in the 1st round. They used their supplemental pick on Steve Walsh in which they forfeited the #1 overall pick in the 1990 draft. Aikman excelled and they ended up trading Walsh the next year to the Saints for three draft picks.

There is nothing wrong with having two young QB’s, especially if a player like Quinn falls to #7. We should have learned our lesson from the Williamson pick. A #7 pick should be a franchise player, not somebody who should have been drafted in the middle round.

Are you serious? Fitzgerald is a top five receiver.

Birk is old, Smoot is absolutley spare, McKinnie is a disappointment, Harris gets dominated weekly...

The only guys on that list that I fear is Taylor and Winfield.

Winfield is an absolute stud.

Birk may be old, but the Vikings offense falls apart without him. I would love to see him move right down the sideline and put on a headset when he is done playing.

Griffin started over Smoot toward the end of the season despit Smoot being reportedly healthy. Smoot is done as a Viking. With Winfield leading by example, I think Griffin will be an above average if not great CB in the league.

I am not sold on Quinn as a blue chip QB but I do not want to seet he Vikings reacjh on another WR.

As far as the DB's are concerned don't we have Tank Williams coming back next year off an injury? I think we have a good mix of vetern and young talent in the secondary.

Obviously a nice DE would be great to get as would Peterson if he fell to #7.

A trade for Fitz is a pipe dream, it is not going to happen as the Cardinals will want too much for him and the Vikings already the Herchel deal we don't need a repeat of that!!

Birk may be old, but the Vikings offense falls apart without him. I would love to see him move right down the sideline and put on a headset when he is done playing.

Griffin started over Smoot toward the end of the season despit Smoot being reportedly healthy. Smoot is done as a Viking. With Winfield leading by example, I think Griffin will be an above average if not great CB in the league.

A poster on another board had an interesting idea. They were suggesting we package Smoot and the #7 and another pick if necessary to move up and grab Calvin Johnson. Then we go after Nate Clements to replace Smoot, reuniting him with Winfield. Not sure of Clements status and how difficult it would be to get him though.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I am not sold on Quinn as a blue chip QB

Me either brother! Me either. :D

The prospect of relying on Quinn to lead a professional team (especially in a come from behind scenario) is just a little unsettling from what I've seen of him so far.

Jackson has always been a QB that was going to need 2 or 3 years to develop. Sticking him in this year was just plain stupid. Sign a FA QB like Plummer to hold his seat.

Take that #7 pick and trade up enough to get Calvin. He can use that first year to get used to the pro game.

A.P. should still be there at #7 as well. Not a bad choice.

Edited by DKF

Jackson has always been a QB that was going to need 2 or 3 years to develop. Sticking him in this year was just plain stupid. Sign a FA QB like Plummer to hold his seat.

Take that #7 pick and trade up enough to get Calvin. He can use that first year to get used to the pro game.

A.P. should still be there at #7 as well. Not a bad choice.

here is a man of wisdom...

but i dont think they will draft a wr

If Calvin is not available then they should drop down and take Meacham.

I'm not very confident in Spielman's draft skillz. I remember the Vikings moving down one spot from something like 18 to 19 a few years back in a trade with the Dolphins and that netted them an extra 3rd round pick. I think Spielman was with the Dolphins at the time. That 3rd rounder I believe was used on Mewelde Moore, and the Vikings still got who they wanted in the first.

Edit: I guess it was a 4th rounder. Not as bad I guess. And the pick was Udeze for the Vikings who really hasn't done much of anything but be injured.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Me either brother! Me either. :D

The prospect of relying on Quinn to lead a professional team (especially in a come from behind scenario) is just a little unsettling from what I've seen of him so far.

Scott Wright answered some of those questions. I would just hate to see TJ turn into a Quincy Carter or a Rex Grossman and were in the same place 4 years down the line. Develop them both and trade one away. I highly doubt Quinn will fall to 7 anyways.

February 9, 2007

How come Brady Quinn's vanishing act in big games is not hurting his stock more than it is? He would pad his stats against inferior competition, but when it came down to a big game or bowl game, his passes seemed erratic and he seemed rattled and unimpressive.

Sam, A.K.A. "A Concerned Browns Fan"

I think it is hurting his stock but for the most part scouts are smart enough to realize there were mitigating circumstances and reasons for why Quinn fared poorly against top opponents.

Here are a few of them:

1) A Terrible Defense - Do you realize that Brady Quinn could have led his team to 40 points and STILL lost to Michigan, USC and L.S.U. this past year? To score 40 points against a MAC team is pretty impressive but do to it against some of the elite teams in the country is downright impossible. Unfortunately that is the position Quinn and the Irish were put in by their defense in each and every one of those "big" games.

2) Pressure - The fact of the matter is Brady Quinn was never given the opportunity to play a "normal" game against any of the top teams he faced this past year because he was always coming from behind. Instead of running a normal offense Quinn was constantly having to try and make up for the huge deficits his defenses put them in. That means pass, pass, pass, which is a nightmare situation for quarterbacks because defenses can simply pin their ears back and rush / blitz with little or no fear of the run game. It's not a stretch to say that in those big games in 2006 Quinn had to lead his teams to a score on basically every time he had the ball. Oh, and he had to do it against some of the premier defenses in the nation.

3) Bad Offensive Line - There is no denying that Quinn did not get very good protection from his offensive line this year and I defy anyone to watch that Michigan game and tell me he was given a fair opportunity to make plays by his guys up front. Constant pressure will make any quarterback look bad, from Joe Montana to Tom Brady, and that was often the case for Quinn in '06.

4) Shouldn't Have Been in the Bowl Games They Were - The Irish were blown out of their last two bowl games but if they weren't "Notre Dame" would they have even been in BCS Bowls like the Fiesta and Sugar? Possibly not. Also, as many pundits like to point out whenever given the chance, Notre Dame simply doesn't have the speed or talent to be on the same field as teams like Ohio St. and L.S.U. so why is everyone surprised when they got their doors blown off by arguably two of three best and most talented teams in the nation? Maybe Quinn just did the best he could with a vastly inferior team?

Now I'm not trying to make excuses for Quinn and he certainly hasn't made them for himself but the bottom line is that the Irish losing those games was not all Quinn's fault and to say it was would be ignoring the facts. Quinn is receiving the "Matt Leinart Treatment" this year and probably has it even worse because he played for the team that everybody loves to hate but in the end he's still going to go very high and eventually be one of the league's top quarterbacks.

- Scott Wright, NFL Draft Countdown

I can see good reasons for picking many of the players and positions mentioned in this thread. There are so many question marks with this team - how can you be sold on anything at this point? I would love to see Fitz come here, but Walters is a confirmed BS tosser - for many years now. Don't see that happening.

I think, gun to my head, that I would like to most see a dominant offensive lineman for the right side - if there is a Top 10 talent out there. I think there is only one, right? And he should be gone. They have what is generally considered probably good injured players coming back at DE (James), LB (Greenway) and DB (Johnson). That is essentially three top tier picks immediately in the mix. I think Childress will do whatever he thinks will give him the best chance to win and not get fired, basically. Now what he thinks is a winning strategy, and what really is one, is another real question. I think he will try to sign a veteran QB who would give fans a glimmer of hope - Carr, Plummer, Garcia, et al, and stick to his guy Jackson for the future. As a fan, I could probably hang with that. I think Chester Taylor proved enough for most to be a top RB, and should be more prepared to carry a load this season, if the blocking is there and they have a competent QB throwing an occasional completion. Hopefully Tony Richardson will be around for the full season, which would help more. The receivers are not good, but it would be a tough sell to me to pick another wideout with a top pick (Is there a Mr. Millen in the house?), especially with it being such a deep draft in that area.

I would love to see the team somehow defend the pass better, which probably starts with a good pass rush - from the outside, or from better pressure schemes. I guess Leslie Frazier knows the Tampa Two well, and comes from the creative school of blitzing immediately after leaving the team bus. I loved the way they stuffed the run, and if they can upgrade the pass defense (whatever it takes to make that happen), I think they will be in most games if they stay reasonably healthy. Isn't that always the case?

Sorry for my ramble. I am puzzled by this scenario, but not demoralized. I honestly think they are not too far off of being a very good football team.