[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben

Shorttynaz

As reported in the "Ben Maller" rumor section of Foxsports.com:

"The primary job of the Steelers' new coaching staff? Resurrect the Ben Roethlisberger of 2004 and '05, when he was the best young quarterback in the NFL. Roethlisberger will have a new center and perhaps as many as three different offensive linemen since last season. What he needs most is the kind of protection even the best of blockers cannot bring him -- one that prevents traffic accidents and emergency surgeries. "We have an elite quarterback -- or someone who can be elite -- and we need to get him to that level," said Bruce Arians, who was promoted to replace Ken Whisenhunt as offensive coordinator."

Bruce Arians called Ben Roethlisberger an "elite quarterback". I know I cant get an answer from him, but I'm curious as to WHAT makes him elite? He's got a ring, but was he responsible for it? Maybe a little, but the defense and the run game carried that team all the way. I'm not trying to start a war here against Steeler fans, I'm just curious what makes him elite?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Arians called Ben Roethlisberger an "elite quarterback". I know I cant get an answer from him, but I'm curious as to WHAT makes him elite? He's got a ring, but was he responsible for it? Maybe a little, but the defense and the run game carried that team all the way. I'm not trying to start a war here against Steeler fans, I'm just curious what makes him elite?

I think he corrected himself by saying "or someone who can be elite", no?

As reported in the "Ben Maller" rumor section of Foxsports.com:

"The primary job of the Steelers' new coaching staff? Resurrect the Ben Roethlisberger of 2004 and '05, when he was the best young quarterback in the NFL. Roethlisberger will have a new center and perhaps as many as three different offensive linemen since last season. What he needs most is the kind of protection even the best of blockers cannot bring him -- one that prevents traffic accidents and emergency surgeries. "We have an elite quarterback -- or someone who can be elite -- and we need to get him to that level," said Bruce Arians, who was promoted to replace Ken Whisenhunt as offensive coordinator."

First let me say Ben is not elite, but his potential is really high. His only bad year came with a ton of injuries. I will give him the benefit of the doubt about last year's debacle... and I think Ariens got carried away with that statement and corrected himself by saying "or someone who can be elite"....I think that is a very fair statement.

As far as last year's contribution to the Ring....

Ben had a 101 QB rating in last year's playoff run. (7tds and 3 ints)

Peyton Manning had a 70 rating in this year's playoff run (3 tds and 7ints).

Nobody would question Manning's contribution even with those numbers, so why do we question Ben's contribution? Superbowl they won in spite of Ben, but in the other games in the playoffs they won to a great deal because of him.

I think he corrected himself by saying "or someone who can be elite", no?

But does he have the "potential" then to become elite? He's matured a little since he's come in the league, and doesn't make as many "rookie mistakes", but is he really destined to be one of the best? IMO, he looks more like a "damage control" QB, not a "put the game on his back" QB. Not that the first is bad. He's a PERFECT fit for the Steelers. He has the look, the chip on his shoulder, and he sure can take a hit, or even dish one out from time to time. I dont know. Maybe I'm walking a thin line here..

But does he have the "potential" then to become elite? He's matured a little since he's come in the league, and doesn't make as many "rookie mistakes", but is he really destined to be one of the best? IMO, he looks more like a "damage control" QB, not a "put the game on his back" QB. Not that the first is bad. He's a PERFECT fit for the Steelers. He has the look, the chip on his shoulder, and he sure can take a hit, or even dish one out from time to time. I dont know. Maybe I'm walking a thin line here..

What makes a QB elite? How do you judge a kid after his 3rd season?

While I've never considered Ben an "elite" QB, I'm giving him a pass for the '06 season. I don't think that anybody who almost died in a motorcycle accident (and had to undergo several surgeries because of it) and THEN had his appendix removed right before the season opener would've had a solid season. I seriously doubt that he's going to throw 20+ INTs next year.

Well, you haven't been here long, but, this debate has been done over and over again. You can do a search and find tons of debates. I'm too exhausted to get into another one.

I will say this though, in his first season, he was 5th in the league in QB Rating. He followed that up by having the 3rd best QB Rating in year #2. Then, during their playoff run last year, he really stepped up his game. He had a near perfect playoff QB rating heading into the Super Bowl. To say that he was just along for the ride last year is ridiculous. It was he and the passing game that led them to big leads against Indy & Denver, and then they just ran the ball to put away those games.

He had an awful Super Bowl, and they won despite his poor play. Then the disastrous off-season.......then an awful season last year. His career is still yet to be defined. Next year should tell a lot of the story......was his poor play last year due to his off-season, or has he regressed. Time will tell.

...and before anyone tries to bait me into it, that is all I've got to say. :D

Well, you haven't been here long, but, this debate has been done over and over again. You can do a search and find tons of debates. I'm too exhausted to get into another one.

I will say this though, in his first season, he was 5th in the league in QB Rating. He followed that up by having the 3rd best QB Rating in year #2. Then, during their playoff run last year, he really stepped up his game. He had a near perfect playoff QB rating heading into the Super Bowl. To say that he was just along for the ride last year is ridiculous. It was he and the passing game that led them to big leads against Indy & Denver, and then they just ran the ball to put away those games.

He had an awful Super Bowl, and they won despite his poor play. Then the disastrous off-season.......then an awful season last year. His career is still yet to be defined. Next year should tell a lot of the story......was his poor play last year due to his off-season, or has he regressed. Time will tell.

...and before anyone tries to bait me into it, that is all I've got to say. :D

No I hear ya, and I dont mean for Steeler fans to have to defend him. It's not at all a shot. I was just curious. I think he's borderline right now. He did have a long season this past year, and is fortunate that he is still playing. His first year he had a pretty good record as a starting QB. But he only attempted 15-20 passes a game. His second year, I didn't really follow him too much, but I know his QB rating was outstanding, but all I remember hearing about the Steelers was Porter and Polomalu.. Parker had a breakout year, but I dont recall Ben having a huge year. Obviously he won the SB. But as you said, he had a mediocre at best game in that SB. Last year, well Swerski said it best, he deserves a pass and shouldn't be judged by it.

Big Ben is a great QB because he was there when the officials gave the Steelers a Super Bowl.

He had a disasterous 2006 that started badly in June with the face plant and never got going from there. Whatever he will be starts now far as I am concerned. Unless he cannot get past 2006, he should end up as a better than average QB but the new offense means evaluating him is difficult right now. He has the tools to be a rock solid QB for years to come, but there is a lot around him other than his physical abilities to contend with. I have doubts he would ever be a great fantasy QB, but he should be a solid QB for the Steelers at the least.

Big Ben is a great QB because he was there when the officials gave the Steelers a Super Bowl.

He had a disasterous 2006 that started badly in June with the face plant and never got going from there. Whatever he will be starts now far as I am concerned. Unless he cannot get past 2006, he should end up as a better than average QB but the new offense means evaluating him is difficult right now. He has the tools to be a rock solid QB for years to come, but there is a lot around him other than his physical abilities to contend with. I have doubts he would ever be a great fantasy QB, but he should be a solid QB for the Steelers at the least.

:D

:D

Ben did well in the playoffs last year when the Steelers came out throwing. He can do well on a running team, but isn't elite enough to throw when the opponent expects it in my opinion.

We don't know that cause when has a team ever game planned for Ben to come out throwing. Never as far as I know. You play the Steelers you sell out to stop the run.

At least this year the new OC is gonna come out in 3 and 4 WR sets on first down to be less predictable. That is another thing. It is hard to only throw in obvious passing situations and that is what Ben usually has to do. Like his AFC championship game 2004 vs. NE, they ran, ran and passed on 3rd and 8. You can't expect a QB to be successfull in a gameplan like that.

Since this is not about Ben directly, but, rather, the great official debate, I guess we know where DMD, an obviously bitter Cowboys fan, sits on the issue.

Also, the fact that this comment came from you, the supposed unbiased leader of this establishment, has Bushwacked pants tight, I'm sure. :D

Edited by Menudo

As a Cryboys fan I'd be worried about your own QB

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9915785

Since this is not about Ben directly, but, rather, the great official debate, I guess we know where DMD, an obviously bitter Cowboys fan, sits on the issue.

Also, the fact that this comment came from you, the supposed unbiased leader of this establishment, has Bushwacked pants tight, I'm sure. :D

As a Cryboys fan I'd be worried about your own QB

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9915785

I meant to put a winking eye gremlin on that. New keyboard and computer makes typing more challenging. It was a joke dude, just a joke... :D

Notice how I said nice things in the paragraph...

he should end up as a better than average QB but the new offense means evaluating him is difficult right now. He has the tools to be a rock solid QB for years to come, but there is a lot around him other than his physical abilities to contend with. I have doubts he would ever be a great fantasy QB, but he should be a solid QB for the Steelers at the least.

Gotta read the whole thing and stop being so sensitive...

I meant to put a winking eye gremlin on that. New keyboard and computer makes typing more challenging. It was a joke dude, just a joke... :D

Notice how I said nice things in the paragraph...

Gotta read the whole thing and stop being so sensitive...

Just goofin thats why I used peanuts :D