[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB's who need to get over the hump

Shorttynaz

I was listening to a sports radio show yesterday on the way home, and the topic was:

WHAT 3 QB's IN TODAY'S NFL, NEED TO GET OVER THAT HUMP?? He was referring to Manning and how he was viewed before he finally got his championship. However I got home and turned off the radio before I heard what the host was thinking. But then I started thinking last night? What 3 QB's out there still have something to prove? I would say...

#1 - D McNabb

#2 - S McNair

#3 - M Vick

in that order. The first 2 have had a taste, but fell a little short. Vick on the other hand I think is overrated, but the media is all over his nuggets.. What do you think? Who out there has something to prove? Someone with enough talent that could put a team on their back to get it done, but has failed to do so. The only other one I can think of is D Brees, but he's still young. He has quite a few years left.

McNabb for sure.

Then after that it is a stretch cause no other QB has historically gotten to the brink enough times.

McNair, he only probably has one more year before he has to hang it up and Baltimore has to move on. Baltimore is a very old offensive team.

Edited by SteelerMurf

I was listening to a sports radio show yesterday on the way home, and the topic was:

WHAT 3 QB's IN TODAY'S NFL, NEED TO GET OVER THAT HUMP?? He was referring to Manning and how he was viewed before he finally got his championship. However I got home and turned off the radio before I heard what the host was thinking. But then I started thinking last night? What 3 QB's out there still have something to prove? I would say...

#1 - D McNabb

#2 - S McNair

#3 - M Vick

in that order. The first 2 have had a taste, but fell a little short. Vick on the other hand I think is overrated, but the media is all over his nuggets.. What do you think? Who out there has something to prove? Someone with enough talent that could put a team on their back to get it done, but has failed to do so. The only other one I can think of is D Brees, but he's still young. He has quite a few years left.

McNabb and Vick. I don't think anyone expects McNair to get to the Promised Land at this stage of his career.

Brees might come under pressure in a couple years.

Kurt Warner!?!? :D

Carson Palmer yes. I would actually put him ahead of Vick. But then, you have the media again all over Vick. I think Palmer and Brees have maybe another 2 years to really prove themselves. Both looked pretty damn good last year coming off injuries the previous season.

There are no other QBs who compare to Peyton Manning. Just because he had a hump means that other QBs have to have a hump.

John Elway had a hump, then Peyton had a hump, someone will have one eventually, but it's a little early to transfer it over.

Edited by godtomsatan

to "get over the hump" implies that they have done EVERYTHIGN else: passing records, TD records, MVP awards, Offensive player of the year, consistant Div titles, consistant winning seasons, playoff wins. everything but win the SUPERBOWL.

No other QB come seven close to having a "hump", especially in the case of Vick. If he has a Hump, it's to put a winning team on the field 2 years in a row. Not even close to the same thing.

I think McNabb is the only one close. McNair is a, past it, and b, not at that upper echelon level. Vick is such an enigma in general, it's an entirely different issue (although all of them would be put to rest if he did win a SB). Brees, Palmer and anyone younger - too young to even bother talking about yet.

McNabb you have to throw in as the "next" NFL guy, partially cause he is a top 3 to 5 QB in the league and has no SB, and moreso cause they have gotten so close so many times.

cant believe how many young qb's some people listed (carson palmer and drew brees? Suffering succotash!?). aside from that, peytons hump extended all the way back to college where he had handicapped struggles against florida, and never won a title. got beat in 97 by nebraska, who split the title with mich, and the next year tennessee won it with tee martin! His 'hump' extends a lot further, and much more interestingly, than all of these other qbs listed. carson palmer is WAY too young and so is drew brees.

Matt Hasslebeck seems to fly under the radar when these sorts of questions are raised...

good call

I can understand people throwing McNabb into the mix, but he would likely have at least one superbowl had he had any receivers who could catch the ball.

to "get over the hump" implies that they have done EVERYTHIGN else: passing records, TD records, MVP awards, Offensive player of the year, consistant Div titles, consistant winning seasons, playoff wins. everything but win the SUPERBOWL.

No other QB come seven close to having a "hump", especially in the case of Vick. If he has a Hump, it's to put a winning team on the field 2 years in a row. Not even close to the same thing.

I'd agre 100% with this - Manning had a "hump" because there was talk about him being the greatest EVER and his resume was missing one very notable piece - playoff success, if not a Super Bowl.

I don't really see anyone else out there at his level. McNabb gets a bit of a pass due to getting to 4 NFC title games and a Super Bowl - he's won plenty of big games over his career, if not THE big game. Eli and Carson Palmer are too young; Vick gets the hype of being a great player, but I don't think much of anyone buys that anymore; Brees didn't become an MVP-type guy until this year. Favre may have a "hump" but it's more along the lines of getting his ints down and tds up.

Matt Hasslebeck seems to fly under the radar when these sorts of questions are raised...

No one thinks Matt Hasselbeck is a Hall of Fame level QB. He is what he is - and what he is, is VERY GOOD but not "great."