[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potato Recipe to go with ham

Sugar Magnolia

salad:

spinach with a warm bacon vinaigrette. lardons, blue cheese crumbles, sauted mushrooms. hard boiled eggs are good with this as well

chipotle, cheddar mashed potatoes

lardons: dice about 18 slices of bacon. crisp them in a saute pan. save the fat.

in a blender:

blend 2 diced shallots, 1 cup sherry vinegar, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp thyme, equivilant of 6 slices or bacon. slowly add 2 cups of canola or grapeseed oil (plus the bacon fat).

hold it warm.

Edited by Bier Meister

salad:

spinach with a warm bacon vinaigrette. lardons, blue cheese crumbles, sauted mushrooms. hard boiled eggs are good with this as well

chipotle, cheddar mashed potatoes

lardons: dice about 18 slices of bacon. crisp them in a saute pan. save the fat.

in a blender:

blend 2 diced shallots, 1 cup sherry vinegar, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp thyme, equivilant of 6 slices or bacon. slowly add 2 cups of canola or grapeseed oil (plus the bacon fat).

hold it warm.

Great idea for the salad except when my Mom came to visit me I a spinach warm bacon vinaigrette salad-so would like to do something different. I like the mashed potato idea. If I don't have a gravy for mashed potatoes I usually mash the potatoes then put them in the oven and brown them on top. Will that work with this recipe?

different salad:

mixed greens

peel and small dice 2 sweet potatoes. boil in oil with 5 cinnamon sticks until a little soft. strain and cool oil and sp... can save oil for dressing

in a blender:

1 cup champagne vinegar, 2 shallots (diced or chopped), 1 oz sugar, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg.

very slowly drizzle in 2 cups canola or grapeseed oil and 1/4 - 1/2 cups pumpkin seed oil.

garnish with sunflower seeds, dried cherries, diced sweet potatoes, and some chevre

Edited by Bier Meister

duchess potatoes:

12 potatoes (peeled and cut into 6ths) store in cold water.

4 oz unsalted butter (melted)

salt to taste

white pepper to taste

6 chipotles

7 egg yolks

boil until tender. drain. put in oven for several minutes to dry. pass them through a food mill. add butter and mix until pasty. season with salt and pepper. if moist, stir over low flame to stiffen (don't want them moist like mashed). remove from the heat. add yolks and beat until smooth. place in a pastry bag. on a sprayed cookie sheet, bag out whatever design you want. place in an oven of 425 until lightly browned.

Thanks for all of the advice, but I it looks like I need to give you more details:

1. This is my 79 year old Mom's kitchen-no food mills to be found, not even a blender, although she

owns a food processor since I got her one for her b-day.

2. She lives in the midwest and my Mom and one of my brothers have traditional midwest palates, so not real adventurous.

3. This is Cincinnati, Ohio and when I visit I always struggle to find what I know as common ingredients. Last time back I couldn't even find shallots! There is a Wild Oats store now so that helps. Maybe I could find grapeseed oil, but probably not pumpkin seed oil. Finding fresh herbs, forget it. One time I tried to make basil pesto back there and it cost me $15 buying up all of these tiny cellophane packages and the basil that was dry and tasteless.

Thanks for all of the advice, but I it looks like I need to give you more details:

1. This is my 79 year old Mom's kitchen-no food mills to be found, not even a blender, although she

owns a food processor since I got her one for her b-day.

2. She lives in the midwest and my Mom and one of my brothers have traditional midwest palates, so not real adventurous.

3. This is Cincinnati, Ohio and when I visit I always struggle to find what I know as common ingredients. Last time back I couldn't even find shallots! There is a Wild Oats store now so that helps. Maybe I could find grapeseed oil, but probably not pumpkin seed oil. Finding fresh herbs, forget it. One time I tried to make basil pesto back there and it cost me $15 buying up all of these tiny cellophane packages and the basil that was dry and tasteless.

can still make the potatoes.. just mash them as you would normally. can make the dressing in the food processor, but:

iceberg lettuce

roquefort dressing

blue cheese crumbles

bacon bits

candied walnuts or pecans

diced or sliced pears