[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Will Draft Brady Quinn

RussMan

I had a funny picture that goes with it but couldnt figure out how to post it. You can find the picture an article here http://www.LionsRedZone.com

Enjoy or flame away...

Brady Blueberry The New Flavor?

Febuary 7. 2007

After another disappointing season the Detroit Lions' marketing department will be working overtime to come up with something new to give fans hope this off-season.

But what can they possible give the fans after another embarrassing season? There are no scapegoats this year. Matt Millions will be returning as the GM. Coaches Marinelli and Martz will also be back. Ford Sr. will not be selling the team. So what's the plan? What can they possibly serve up to the fans who thirst for mediocrity once more?

My prediction is the marketing department is working on a new flavor of Kool Aid for the Lions faithful. And that flavor will be called "Brady Blueberry." Brady as in QB Brady Quinn of Notre Dame. There is nothing like a new hot shot offensive player to raise hopes and sell spamshirts.

Yes Lions fans don't be surprised when the Lions use the number two overall pick in this year's NFL draft to select the organization's latest savior Brady Quinn. Brady Blueberry will be the latest Kool Aid flavor and fans will be lining up for a drink.

Forget about what they say about the game being won in the trenches. The Lions haven't had a solid, cohesive offensive line since Millen took the reigns. After watching Kitna take all those sacks this season you should wonder why a team would even consider bringing a new kid in at QB until they have an offensive line to protect him. Offensive linemen don't sell spamshirts.

And what is that they say about defense winning championships? The Lions finished the 2006 season ranked #28 in total defense allowing over 345 yards per game and #30 in scoring defense allowing 24.9 points per game. The Lions desperately need a pass rushing defensive end or a middle linebacker. If unrestricted free agent defensive tackle Corry Redding flies the coup or if Shaun Rogers is slow to recover from off-season knee and shoulder surgery the defensive line will need attention.

Controlling the line of scrimmage. Playing tough defense. It's not sexy. It's meat and potatoes. I'll be looking for it...but I don't expect it to be on the menu this offseason.

Brady Blueberry will be the flavor of the day.

But hey... it could be worse. The Lions could be baking up some Calvin Cornbread.

RussMan

Edited by RussMan

I heard Don Banks (not the Huddle's version, but SI's) on local radio the other day. His current mock also has Quinn coming to the Lions.

I am NOT a fan of that pick.

If the lions address the real needs of the team DE, MLB, OL during free agency the odds of them taking QUINN go through the roof imo. You will be able to preorder your black Quinn jersey from the Lions Store. :D

With Martz offense keeper leaguers would be tempted to take a guy like Quinn becuase Kitna is MR INT and cant be in the longterm plans.

And for the record I would like DEFENSE and OL in the draft.. Joe Thomas, Jamaal Anderson, Gaines.. guys like that.

Edited by RussMan

When will the Lions figure out that it does not matter who the QB is if he is on his a$$ every time he drops back. The one thing that Super Bowl winning teams have in common is good/great lines on both sides of the ball. But then again I cannot exepct the Fords to understand anything, especially since they keep resigning Millen!

I just realized that you are the author of this Russman. Very well done. :D

Thanks for the compliment.. as you know when you are a Lions fan you have to have a sense of humor. At least the Lions generated some Fantasy points this year.... before it was all losing and a fantasy wasteland.

Well, if the Lions draft Quinn, I'm almost positive that he'll be a bust. :D

Seriously, though, I feel for you guys. Millen's arguably the most incompetent GM in the NFL and I don't see things getting any better until he's out the door. Hopefully "Matt Millions" will be out the door next season and Ford will hire somebody who knows what he's doing.

Seriously, though, I feel for you guys. Millen's arguably the most incompetent GM in the NFL and I don't see things getting any better until he's out the door. Hopefully "Matt Millions" will be out the door next season and Ford will hire somebody who knows what he's doing.

There's no "arguably" about it, surely. He's the worst by a country mile. Only Kevin McHale approaches his depths of incompetence in all of sports.

As for Ford firing him, if he wasn't fired after this season's unmitigated disaster, I have to assume he's there until they carry him out in a box.

If the organization honestly believes Quinn is a franchise QB, they have to take him. It is the most difficult position to fill, but once you have one, he can be money for years and years.

Good point! And when the Lions organization honestly believes that they have found a franchise quarterback in the draft, he will destined to become a hall of famer. Anybody have that list of Lions qB's handy? :D

The Lions blew having a franchise QB when they passed on Leinart last year.Sims is a very good player but other than the Texans passing on Bush and Young this was the biggest mistake in the draft.Getting Leinart at 9 would have been an absolute steal and very low risk IMO,now they have to decide on using the #2 on Quinn who is not as good a QB as Leinart.

Should we start passing out the cups? Millen drafting Quinn?

POSTED February 10, 2007

Although, as we've previously reported, the Detroit Lions have locked onto Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas with the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, we're now hearing that CEO Matt Millen is at least considering the possibility of using the selection on a blue-chip quarterback in the spot after the Oakland Raiders.

The reason? Starter Jon Kitna will be 35 years old when the 2007 season begins, and he was hardly a superstar in his first season with the team.

But offensive coordinator Mike Martz is bristling at the possibility, we're told. Martz wants to stick with Kitna, and the short-term interests of the team (and of Martz, who wants to be a head coach again) would be served by drafting a guy who can step right in and play as a rookie.

Millen, however, is looking over the long term, even if he might not be part of it.

Good point! And when the Lions organization honestly believes that they have found a franchise quarterback in the draft, he will destined to become a hall of famer. Anybody have that list of Lions qB's handy? :D

No, because they all play for the Titans.