[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts free agents

Bill Swerski

Some news from Bill Polian about the Colts' free-agent situation... :D

Q: Can you talk a bit about the free-agency decisions coming up?

A: Last week in Miami I was asked 100 times if I was asked once, ‘What are you going to do about (defensive end) Dwight Freeney?’ I said, unequivocally, ‘We’re keeping Dwight Freeney.’ Well, that means one of two things happen: either we get a long-term agreement before it’s time to franchise him on the 22nd of February or we do not, in which case we franchise him and continue talking about a long-term agreement. We’re prepared to do either, but my guess would be – because the agent is a very reasonable man and a very bright man – that we may have to franchise him, because he’s going to want to see where the market moves . I can’t blame him for that. I’m planning on that. If we’re able to come to an agreement before that, that would be wonderful. I have a history of doing that with this agent, Gary Wichard, but either way, we’ll be fine, so we’ll keep Dwight. After that, the restricted free agents will all receive qualifying offers. So, nothing will happen with them if at all, until we reach the week before the draft (in late April), but with other unrestricted free agents, we’re going to have to see where we can go budget-wise. They’re going to have to see what the market will be. I will say very candidly that players on Super Bowl-winning teams always tend to make a little bit more on the open market than players on non-Super Bowl winning teams. I don’t see why that would change with our players. There may be a number of our players – a small number, but nevertheless a number – who because of what’s right for their families will have to take the money somewhere else. I understand that. I don’t like it. I’m happy for the players that they’ve done well enough to get that kind of payoff, but it’s very difficult to lose players like that. However, it is our responsibility to abide by the league rules and we’re going to have to. I was heartbroken last year to lose (linebacker) David Thornton and (defensive tackle) Larry Tripplett. I’m sure we’ll be heartbroken again this year when we lose some guys we would rather not lose. But that’s the system. We’ll adjust to it and move on.

I also doubt that Freeney would want to sign a long-term deal right now, given that he was injured for about the first half of this past season and his numbers suffered tremendously. His value is probably lower right now than it's been for some time.

But it sounds like there is definitely going to be some turnover. I'm hoping that they can re-sign Cato June. But I think that Rhodes and Simon are definitely gone. Sames goes for the oft-injured Stokley and Doss. Elsewhere in this article, Polian mentioned how impressed they were with Kelvin Hayden in the pre-season. If that's really the case, my bet is that Harper is let go as well.

Edited by Bill Swerski

im really interested to see how everything plays out for the colts...as long as you guys have those skill position guys youll be a contender....

but freeney is going to command dollars...to heck with his stats....and you guys have two guys on the offensive line to tender...and youll be losing some guys on the defensive side of the ball

theyll be some restructuring needed to get by financially....what happens when dallas clark and bob sanders want some money?

I was heartbroken last year to lose (linebacker) David Thornton and (defensive tackle) Larry Tripplett. I’m sure we’ll be heartbroken again this year when we lose some guys we would rather not lose. But that’s the system. We’ll adjust to it and move on.

Wow...notice the total lack of Edge in that statement. He seems to really not be liked by that organization.

im really interested to see how everything plays out for the colts...as long as you guys have those skill position guys youll be a contender....

but freeney is going to command dollars...to heck with his stats....and you guys have two guys on the offensive line to tender...and youll be losing some guys on the defensive side of the ball

theyll be some restructuring needed to get by financially....what happens when dallas clark and bob sanders want some money?

With his lingering knee problems causing him to miss most of this past season, Sanders doesn't really have any leverage to negotiate a new deal right now. But you're correct that he's going to get paid at some point. And I don't think that they'd want to let him go. Dallas Clark is a different story. He's more of a luxury and given the way that Polian treated Pollard and Dilger, Clark will be released when his deal is up.

Freeney definitely will command top-dollar, but it's imperative that your Front Four can bring pressure in the Cover 2, so getting a long-term deal done with him is a top priority (unless they change their defense). Mathis is a good pass-rusher, but he almost certainly benefits from Freeney on the other side.

And I completely agree that Glenn and Saturday are keepers. They're even more important than Freeney, IMO.

IMO, they key right now is to cut the dead weight. Simon is worthless and, IIRC, his signing bonus was only about $5 million over 5 years. So, they could cut him now with only a $3 million cap hit (should be a net saving of about $3 million in cap space for this coming season). Rob Morris is another guy that they can replace via the draft. I'll always be indebted to Rhodes for what he did in the playoffs, but they can't spend on TWO RBs. And if it comes down to it, I suppose that they could part ways with Cato June as well, although he's really good in coverage and they'll take a hit in the passing game.

I've heard the rumors about Belichick eyeing Harper. He'd be a good addition to the Pats. He's a pretty decent CB who wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg and I'm sure that he'd play well in Belichick's system.

Wow...notice the total lack of Edge in that statement. He seems to really not be liked by that organization.

:D

I think that he didn't mention Edge because it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he'd be gone after they signed Wayne to a long-term deal. He didn't make an effort to re-sign Edge, so it really couldn't be "heartbreaking."

Edited by Bill Swerski

They will stick with the plan that brought them here.

They will restructure Manning, Harrison, Glenn and Wayne when appropriate.

I highly doubt they re-sign Cato June. They just don't spend big money on linebackers. They have faith that the guys they've drafted can step in. Tyjuan Hagler will probably be a starter next year.

On the offensive line, they already have Glenn, Saturday, and Diem signed. They have young offensive linemen like Charlie Johnson and Dylan Gandy who will be ready to step in if needed.

Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeney, and Bob Sanders will all be re-signed once their contracts expire. But they won't get new deals before then. The Colts just don't renegotiate.

I highly doubt they re-sign Cato June. They just don't spend big money on linebackers. They have faith that the guys they've drafted can step in. Tyjuan Hagler will probably be a starter next year.

I hope that they change their attitude towards LBs. If not, look for more 170 ypg rushing averages against them. If June left, their OLBs would be Morris/Gardner/Boiman and Hagler/O'Neil. None of those guys are NFL-quality starters.