[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Valentine's dinner

godtomsatan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going here.

looks good.

her parents want to go out for dinner for v day.... so i might make mrs a special meal at home. gonna drive up to breck thurs night through sunday...so might take her out in vail for a delayed v day.

Here's the rough draft for what we'll be doing. This is the ala carte menu and I'm putting together some tasting menu options as well.

Valentines at Jujube

Appetizers

“Jello Salad”

Osetra caviar with dashi aspic and wasabi mousse

Crispy crab fritters with grilled asparagus, blood orange,

and ginger coconut sauce

“Bacon and Eggs”

Poached quail eggs with sake emulsion, scallions, and Chinese bacon

Beef tenderloin carpaccio with shaved truffle, black vinegar gelee,

and watercress salad

Duck, Duck, Goose

Truffled duck liver pate on black rice toast

Tea-smoked duck, frisee, and kumquat salad

Seared foie gras with Chinese quince preserves

Steamed black mussels with Sichuan bean sauce and scallions

Salad of twice roasted beets, watercress, and endive

with ginger-scented goat cheese

Entress

Ginger-braised pork with curried spinach, beet congee, and crispy shallot frites

Grilled hanger steak with red curry of Athenaakes, sweet potatoes,

and Chinese brocolli

Crispy tea-smoked half duckling with scallion crepes and hoisin

Seared scallops with poached asparagus and carrot-scallion won-tons

Grilled Tuna with fennel fritters and kumquat-ginger vinaigrette

Roasted-stuffed Tanglewoods farms chicken breast with sesame-carrot rice cake and Vietnamese black pepper sauce

We're going to Olives on Saturday cuz Valentine's Day dinner is always an overpriced pain.

On Wednesday, I'm cooking (as usual).

Fettucini Alfredo, veal marsala, and a nice veg I make (shredded zuccini cooked in butter and parmesan...I cook it until quite soft during the cold months...less cooked in the warm months).

Any ideas for a first course (easy since it's a weeknight)? She wanted a clear soup like a minestrone but the idea doesn't appeal to me that much.

We're going to Olives on Saturday cuz Valentine's Day dinner is always an overpriced pain.

Fettucini Alfredo, veal marsala, and a nice veg I make (shredded zuccini cooked in butter and parmesan...I cook it until quite soft during the cold months...less cooked in the warm months).

Any ideas for a first course (easy since it's a weeknight)? She wanted a clear soup like a minestrone but the idea doesn't appeal to me that much.

maybe a tuscan white bean soup, though likely won't be a clear broth?

To go along with your Italian theme a nice composed brodo might be good. I often think of them as salads suspended in broth. Very carefully make a chicken or seafood broth. Julienne vegetables like carrot, fennel, scallions and maybe add some shellfish. Poach the shellfish in the broth along with the veg and garnish with a very lemony puree of parsley, garlic, olive oil, and salt. You can either stir the puree into the soup (which of course, will turn it green or simply put a spoonful in the middle of the bowl.

Or you could simply steam some mussels with sherry, garlic, and tomato and garnish with aioli and fried toast. Very visceral and fun to eat which is a plus on V-day.

I asked my husband to cook me a lobster dinner-if we can find live lobster around here. I thought I'd ask him to make some kind of rissoto. What's a good side veggie to go with lobster? What's a good rissoto?

You could make a lobster risotto.

Here's a recipe I've used before:

Recipe

I asked my husband to cook me a lobster dinner-if we can find live lobster around here. I thought I'd ask him to make some kind of rissoto. What's a good side veggie to go with lobster? What's a good rissoto?

Hey SugarMag,

I'm kinda a masochist when it comes to cooking (more work than necessary) so don't necessarily mind me. However, I'm partial to a fairly plain risotto like a Milanese (saffron, onion, cheese only). I'd do a dry cooking method with the lobster like broiled or roasted and eat with your hands.

I'd do a light veg, maybe fennel and orange salad?

Bacon wrapped filet mignon topped with shrimp and crab in a white sauce. Twice baked garlic potatoes with fresh steamed and buttered asparagus spears. Spumoni for dessert.

Or I may the easy way and make a heart shaped Chicken, garlic, red onions and olive pizza

funny for the risotto i was thinking of a paella influence: saffron and seafood... or more simply a chive risotto for the lobster....ultimately would depend on how hubby makes it.

veggies could be asparagus and carrots.... boil/steam them until they are 75% cooked...... finish by sauteing in butter with minced shallot and garlic.